Pixi H2O Skin Tint

Pixi H2O Skin Tint
H2O Skin Tint

4.3

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Titanium Dioxide, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hexyl Laurate, Glycerin, PEG-10 Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499)

on 9/6/2018 12:55:00 PM

Seriously the absolute best product for natural looking skin. I’ve used it with a beauty blender, brush and even fingers and I swear to gosh it’s beautiful all ways! It’s not transfer proof, and it doesn’t set down to a Matte, but if you love something light on the skin, with a natural finish this is for you! I’ve used up three bottles of this stuff in two of the shades. I have rosacea, and very dry skin and it’s just enough coverage for my redness, and my skin actually feels more hydrated after using it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't get how this product has gotten such good reviews... First of all, as others have stated, this product has a strange formula - when you blend it out it seemingly separates into two different layers with one layer of water (or possibly glycol) droplets on top. Then, when you blend out these droplets it has a smoothing effect on the finish of the product. However, that said, it's really hard to blend if you've got any texture on your face. On my face it also settled into lines and clinged to dryness, even though the clinging got somewhat better as my oils started getting through.

Secondly, as you blend this out it mysteriously loses more and more coverage, which, in combination with the fact that it really doesn't have a lot of slip to it, forces you to use a substantial amount of product. In other words: it's not a priceworthy product.

on 7/7/2018 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My skin: combo/dehydrated with hormonal acne, although that's been getting better, enlarged pores and pretty much constant flakiness somewhere or other. Texture, I have it. I also have skin that a lot of foundations sit really weirdly on. Pooling in the pores on my nose is more common than not, a lot of base products don't stick well to the skin on my nose, resulting in prominent weird patchiness, and so on. This means that what I look for the most in a foundation is a nice finish (pretty much any finish) that sits well on my skin, and will happily sacrifice coverage for that. Sheer coverage that evens out my skin tone and has a nice, skinlike finish just looks so much better on me than cakey, patchy and splotchy high coverage does, even when I have blemishes.

And this is such a beautiful product on my skin. About a low medium coverage, I would say, slightly more coverage than MAC Face & Body, which I also like. This has an unusual texture, it comes out quite creamy, sort of dissipates into an odd, cooling sort of liquid feeling when applied onto the face and then sets rather quickly to a powdery finish, definitely more matte than F&B. I apply it with my hands, two pumps gives a nice, light coverage, three pumps gives more of a solid medium coverage. A beauty blender helps if I'm building more coverage, to smooth out streaks and the like.

I generally wear this as my daily foundation over a silicone-based sunscreen, Skin 79 Non-Chemical Sun Block. They work very well together. I have also worn this over First Aid Beauty's Hello Fab Coconut Smoothie Priming Moisturizer, which gives a dewier and slightly less long-wearing result, I find, but still looks great and wears nicely. The unusual texture of this product makes it hard for me to guess how it would work over different types of primers.

The real beauty of this is that it does not emphasise any of my texture. It doesn't settle into my pores, even without a primer, and almost everything does. I'm not going to claim that it doesn't show up dryness and flakiness at all, that would be impossible, but it doesn't cling to it and it doesn't make it look worse. It doesn't cover blemishes, but it does even out redness very well, tones them down and it doesn't bring out texture around blemishes either. Lasting power is decent without setting it, a solid 8 hours or so, after that it fades a little. With a good setting spray I get 10-12 hours of decent wear. It never cakes up or separates on me, it just fades, rather gracefully.

I am fair with yellow/olive undertones, C1 in MAC F&B, 1W1 Bone in Estée Lauder Double Wear, maybe 1W2 in the summer, and shade number 1, Cream, works well on me. It's perhaps a tiny bit on the light side in the summer, but the formula is quite forgiving. Cream is a pale shade with yellow undertone, probably around NC15 in MAC terms. The shade range of this product is atrocious, that's the only really bad thing I can say about it. It comes in three shades, all of which are quite light.

I am almost through my first tube of this, and have already bought a backup. Will keep wearing and repurchasing this as long as it keeps performing this well on my skin.

on 6/21/2018 3:25:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I really like this stuff. The No. 1 cream shade is a great match for my very pale skin, and neutral enough that it tones down my redness very nicely. It feels light on my skin and is pigmented enough to conceal unevenness, and the coverage is somewhat buildable. It's more like a lightweight foundation than a tinted moisturizer. I do have to use concealer over any more serious spots, but that's typical for me with any foundation. I'll usually wear this with a little powder on top just to keep the shine at bay.

So why only three stars?

First of all, I hate that this stuff doesn't have sunscreen in it, especially as it's technically a moisturizer. This means I still have to wear a high-SPF moisturizer underneath it. We all know how damaging sun can be to skin, and I'm surprised in 2018 that a moisturizer meant for daytime use doesn't contain an SPF.

Secondly, the packaging is terrible and feels cheap. I've had two tubes of this and while I love the idea of the pump, they've both broken very shortly after purchase. I'm hoping the third one lasts a little longer. The actual product is lovely and I'll definitely keep buying it. Hopefully it won't get discontinued like everything else that's a match for my skintone!

on 5/29/2018 10:36:00 PM

Wanted to love this so badly but it gives me little bumps all over after a day or two. My skin is sensitive, so those with sensitive skin, this is not for you. Bear in mind I used this product off and on for a year. It feels good when rubbing it in and if my skin was properly moisturized I looked quite dewy and it didn't settle into my pores. But, the pimples.

on 5/4/2018 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

In a way, I like this - Natural 02 is a very good color for my NC20 yellow-olive skin, and the finish is quite nice and natural. It was quite difficult to figure out how to use this though... like, a month of use, maybe. It doesn't go well over all primers; because of the texture of the tinted moisturizer, it can become too grippy over certain products, which makes it hard to blend and makes me tug at my skin. The texture is a little strange too - it is a little watery, ad the water must evaporate a little before it's able to set on the skin, so when I first spread this out, it spreads out in beads. To get an even coverage I spread this around with my fingers and rub, rub, rub, till it changes texture, then pat it all over my face.

Right now, it works for me over tiny bit of oil + a little bit of moisturizer + sunscreen. I use 2 pumps for my face (which isn't very large at all), which gives me a light-medium coverage, which is about how much you get out of this without making it cake up. This looks super natural with powder over - looks very close to skin with no makeup. The wear-time is pretty good, but it's not a foundation that looks perfect on me the whole day, but I still give it a good rating due to how natural it looks. It has no alcohol and no perfume, which is good for my sensitive skin.

on 3/19/2018 10:02:00 PM

YAAAAASSSS! I’m writing this review as a person who has literally said that I want to wear foundation so thick that I want to look plastic. Yes. You read that correctly. Yikes. I began to realize that the thick ass foundation was actually accentuating all of my skin flaws; rather than covering them. I began easing into a lighter coverage, and nothing was really floating my boat. The tinted moisturizers were either making my t-zone like an oil slick, doing nothing at all, or they had this weird grey consistency. I have dry acne prone skin, and at 31, I’m probably also dancing with a couple of fine lines here and there. My skin type makes it extremely difficult to find good makeup for my face. That is, until, I discovered this witchcraft. It’s gel consistency is different from anything I’ve ever used, and is extremely easy to build upon. It gives my skin a nice dewy glow; without putting all my flaws on surround sound. I’m thoroughly pleased with this tinted moisturizer, and for the first time in YEARS I think I finally found a foundation-like product that I would actually care if I ran out of.

on 3/11/2018 5:15:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a little gem in the Pixi collection. I use this gel-tint on days when I don't want to wear a lot of makeup and it looks very natural. It has a light coverage and the lightest shade is perfect for my NW15 skin tone, but it does make my skin a little more oily. I therefore cannot use it on my nose, which is a shame, because it's so great at evening out my skin tone. Then again, I don't use foundation on my nose either, so I can live with that. The staying power is fine (but not spectacular) and it doesn't clog my pores. Love!

on 3/11/2018 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought this TM because of the great reviews but it really does not work for me. It doesn't sink in and I felt was always sitting on top of my skin. If I touched my face throughout the day it would get under my nails. It didn't cover my redness. It also made me break out. I verified it 3x and it was for sure this product. I really wanted to love this - not tested on animals, fragrance free, you can buy it at Target (I used the app and got it on sale). Bummed I can't make it work.

on 2/21/2018 12:38:00 PM

This is the best tinted moisturizer that I have ever tried. That being said, I often have to remind myself that it is only a tinted moisturizer - not a long wearing foundation that I barely have to touch up on throughout the day.
This product offers the perfect amount of coverage for a TM- sheer, but pretty buildable. It evens out my skin tone, and makes my face look very fresh and dewy while still remaining matte. I've never had a fresh looking face while ALSO being matte. It is wonderful!

The texture of the TM is a gel cream. Once you get the hang of how to apply, it is pretty foolproof. I use two or three pumps. I dot it on my face, and let it like that for a few minutes. The texture is bizzare if you don't let it sit - it kind of slides around your face instead of melting in, and while you can see the pigment, it doesn't offer any coverage and applies incredibly patchy. But if you allow your skin to warm the product up (I am assuming that this is what makes it apply better) for a few minutes, the TM applies like a dream.

Again, do not expect full or even medium coverage from this. Expect just enough pigment to even out your skin.

For a TM, this is pretty long wearing product. Pixi doesn't market this to be Uber long wearing, but I wish it had better mattifying/staying power for combo-oily skin like my own. I can definitely get away with wearing this all day if I am diligent in blotting my face, but I do have to think about touching up more than I would with something like Maybelline Fit Me Matte/Poreless. That being said, when Pixi's Skin Tint starts to fade, it looks very natural. It doesn't cake up like a foundation would. So I'm cool with it.

Shade selection is horrendous. I use the lightest shade, Cream, which is a good fit for me. But there are only three shades total. They do not cater to darker skin tones. It's a real shame.

It is a little pricey for drugstore, but I will absolutely purchase again.

All in all, great product. Makes your skin look fresh and natural, and evens out the skin. I wish it stood up to the oily areas on my face better - but as far as TM goes, this is the best of the best for oil control. Just not as good as long wear foundations. But it looks natural as it fades away, which I would rather have. An expansion of the shade range would be ideal.