Kat Von D Monarch

4.7

on 6/24/2016 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OMG I'm in love with this palette. I love KVD eyeshadow and this does not disappoint. You can create a variety of looks with this from neutral to all out glam. As always the shadows are intensely pigmented and so so creamy. This really is the ultimate do anything palette with a perfect mix of matte & shimmer. Please start selling in the UK as it's so hard to get hold of.

on 4/2/2016 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

I spent SO much time looking for the 'right' palette. I wanted one that was super versatile (at 50~$ a palette, I wasn't looking to spend on multiple palettes). I was hesitant at first because these colours didn't seem like they were subtle enough for everyday, work wear, but I kind of fell in love and bought them anyway (all that research, out the window).

I am so glad I bought this palette! The colours are stunning, VERY pigmented and sooo blendy! It's a no brainer to get a really nice put together look with these. I'm not an eyeshadow expert, nor someone who's organized enough to have a lot of time to get the look right when I'm running out the door. Also they used to smell like roses! Sadly I think the smell has gone away now that I've had it for about a month. The shiny pink (killing jar) is a reallyyy nice shimmery/frosted pink that doesn't make me (someone with pale skin) look like I have an eye irritation. The other colours are all really lovely. You also don't need to use a lot of product to get the colour.

My only gripe is that the looks you achieve, while really nice, can lean towards the more dark and dramatic if you're not careful. They'll still look nice, but might be a bit more makeup than you were intending to wear to a work function. But again... not organized enough to spend the time necessary to be careful with this.

If I had to compare this to Urban Decay shadows, for the sake of comparison, these are so much nicer imo. I have the Naked Basic palette and I found the consistency to not be as blendable as the KVD shadows. Nor did they have the same smooth finish or pigmented-ness.

I'm undecided if I would buy it again, just because there are SO MANY palettes out there, but I would be SO SO sad if I lost it.

I have very dry eyes, so I don't think I'll ever find eyeshadow that doesn't make my eyes tired and itchy, but it takes quite a while for them to start to feel unpleasant. I've been wearing these shadows for over 12 hours now and they're still tolerable. They have faded a lot (tbf 12 hours is a long time), but aside from the crease it doesn't look patchy or gross. These shadows do need a primer if you're going to be wearing them for a long time (depending on your eyes/eyelids).

Overall, definitely recommend them.

To Read all 26 Reviews, Login or Join

i love this palette i use it everyday the only problem is my oily skin eats up the eyeshadow.

so pigmented and blends so well! i love the orange its my favorite color in the palette I'm afraid to buy more pallets because this one is so good <3

on 1/15/2016 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This palette comes with 3 base shades and 9 accent hues. And Kat Von D Beauty is CRUELTY FREE, Paraben, Sulfate and Phthalate free! This is a really good palette to have, even though it is a bit pricey ($55.00 at Sephora), I love it.

Okay, first of all, the colours are amazing! Wrath, that deep pearl orange, gorgeous! These colours are perfect for a natural look to an intense smokey eye. And they are so pigmented. Seriously, a little at a time people the dark shades are PIGMENTED! They are longer wearing and more pigmented with a primer, but still impressive.
They do have a powder texture but go on very smooth and buttery. These are super blendable and will last all day. Perfect for an evening out. They do have some fallout, so I just tap my brush before applying to ensure that it doesn't end up all over my face (I can be a messy makeup applier!).
Overall, I'm impressed and it's totally worth the money.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I love this palette. It is one of my most favs ever. Even though some are shimmery they go on so buttery even on my aging eyelids. You can mix or match any of the colours to get a soft and striking look. BUY this! You will not be disappointed.

I've had this palette for a while now and have had plenty of time to play with it. I got it as my big splurge during the VIB sale. This palette was definitely a great choice. You can make looks from natural to smoky, with a touch of bright and fun. These are no doubt some of the most pigmented shadows I've ever worked with. You barely need to touch your brush to the shadow and you have more than enough pigment. Keep this in mind especially for Wrath (the burnt orange) and Papilio, Disintegration, and Shadow Box (the dark browns and taupes). Sometimes shades this pigmented do not blend well but that is not the case with this palette; every shade is very workable and there's not a single dud formula-wise nor color-wise. Shadow Box gives me some blending trouble, but it's workable with the right fluffy brush (I usually use a Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair brush). Because of the amazing pigmentation, the staying power is incredible with these shadows- probably better than any of my other high-end shadows.

I would not call the shadows "buttery" or "velvety," they're more powdery. There is a bit of fallout, but moreso in the pan. Summerfly and Delaney (the glittery gold and silver) are the ones where you most need to worry about face fallout. I would consider doing your eyes first, then your base makeup when using this palette, so you can fix up the fallout (I keep thinking I'll do this, but doing my base makeup first seems to be a habit I just can't break).

Every shade is very true to color and applies exactly as it looks in the pan, with the exception of Entomology (the matte highlight shade)- it is not as yellow as it looks in the pan and applies as more of a creamy ivory (a good thing!). Vanish (the matte taupe) looks a bit boring but it is an amazing transition/crease shade and can be used with any color in this palette, and with lots of my other shadows as well. What I don't quite like about this palette is how the "quads" are arranged, with the exception of the one on the far left. You have to use your imagination with this palette and break out of these quads (there's lots of YT tutorials). The far right quad is WAY too dark for me to use all together, it ends up looking like I've been punched in the face. All three of those dark colors are better used lightly in the crease, outer corner, or as liners with any of the lighter colors to the left. So I have stopped thinking about that set as a "quad" and think of them more as three choices for deepening and adding dimension to the other shadows. Also, Telepathy (the silvery highlight color) is in a larger pan as if it should be used as an all over base/browbone/blending color, but for my skintone it is too frosty for this purpose. It is a GORGEOUS color and is great on the lid or applied sparingly just under the eyebrow, but IMO Killing Jar (the pinky-gold) is the better all-over highlight and should be in the larger pan.

Aside from the minor fallout issues and the arrangement of these colors, I have nothing bad to say about these shadows. They are all standouts. Probably not the best palette for beginners but if you have some good brushes, blending skills, and the imagination to break out of the quads, I'd recommend it.

on 10/29/2015 9:56:00 AM

This is a go-to palette for me, right up there with my beloved UD palettes. I have this one and the Shade & Light eye palette from Kat Von D and I continue to be very pleased with the quality, application and color payoff from these shadows.

12 shadows at $46 for the palette - The shadows work out to about $3.83 per shadow - I can't buy a L'Oreal single for that unless there is an excellent sale. . . . and these are better.

This is a high quality palette with an edgier vibe but don't let it fool you - I think that this is one of the most neutral palettes I have purchased and would work for almost anyone.

Highly recommended.

I just have looove for this palette. Excellent pigmentation, súper smooth and easy to blend. I love the colours. And the packaging screams kat vond d, and it's something that I love of her products.

on 8/28/2015 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING!! I honestly think this palette has a better formula than urban decay does. Goes on smoothly, blends like a dream, it's already laid out in quads for those who need help, and you get a TON of product. I doubt I'll ever go through the whole thing. If I had to mention something I didn't like, I'd say the shadows are almost to soft. Like you seriously have to just barely swipe your brush across the top and you can do your whole eye with that. It last soooooo long on the lids and doesn't crease. I really, really, really love it.

I am really surprised that I bought this. I have not worn a lot of eyeshadow in my makeup life and I'm discovering it now- fabulous! This palette caught my eye the first time I was in a Sephora store last month. I think the burnt orange shade looked so original and then the silvery shades and the overall neutral tone of the palette. It's a funny one, Monarch- it looks like it's a "dress up" palette but when you start playing with the colors, it's incredibly neutral. The colors can be built up a lot and they are richly pigmented with an incredibly soft, yet not overly powdery texture (similar but more buttery than UD).

Others here have already described the colors so I won't go into that but I will say that this is a beautiful and useful palette, far more work-appropriate than you might think at first glance. I don't love the goth design of the packaging (it's not really my thing) and there is SO much product that I'll probably die before I finish all of it, but it's a great purchase and I'm glad I caved!

Video Reviews & Tutorials