Kat Von D Monarch

Monarch

on 6/24/2016 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OMG I'm in love with this palette. I love KVD eyeshadow and this does not disappoint. You can create a variety of looks with this from neutral to all out glam. As always the shadows are intensely pigmented and so so creamy. This really is the ultimate do anything palette with a perfect mix of matte & shimmer. Please start selling in the UK as it's so hard to get hold of.

on 5/27/2014 10:00:00 AM

I bought this palette during a Sephora sale, and initially thought I was in love. The presentation is beautiful and it seems so versatile. But lately, I have been preferring matte shadows, especially for my lids, and this palette just doesn't have enough matte options for me. When you factor out the two shadows on the end that are liners (Shadow Box and Deadhead), there are only 2 matte shadows--Entomology (top left) and Vanish (4th from right on the bottom). I was dealing with this, but combined with the fallout, which is so bad I have had to wash my face and start over, I just couldn't find a reason to keep this $46 palette. I am a big fan of the Ladybird palette, however.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm surprised there aren't more reviews for Kat Von D's Monarch eyeshadow palette. This is my very first Kat Von D purchase ever. Like the previous reviewer, I guess the image I had of the brand was that it was younger, edgier and sort of "nastier" than I am at my stage of life. And I assumed that the products were of cheap quality. Well, I can't comment on other products in her line but, man, was I ever WRONG with regard to this palette. I have only used it a few times so far, but I am pleased by the colour array in the palette and really pleased and surprised by the quality of the shadows. These are so soft and lovely to use - texture and pigment wise, they are right up there with my beloved shadows by Hourglass (the discontinued duos) and Guerlain. The colours in this palette are not outrageous either. I also like the groupings of 4 shades - a light highlight/all over base shade and 3 complementary shadows to use together, though, of course, you can coordinate any of the 12 shadows in the palette any way you like. Today, to my surprise I used shadows from the left hand "quartet". I usually avoid orange or bright copper toned shadows but using Wrath to deepen just the outer crease and outer corner made it wearable and pretty. I might even try it applied on my mobile lid next (I did that last night before washing my face for bed and was surprised by how okay it looked). I'm glad I saw some reviews online for this palette because it forced me to look beyond the "rocker chick" image I had of this line. Irksome that it's so much more expensive here in Canada than it is in the US but I'm still glad I have it. Also annoying is the fact that the shadows aren't labelled; there is labelling underneath but, believe me, that is very confusing to lots of folks (are the names UNDER the shadows they apply to or is it a "mirror image" labelling?). Once I finally figured it out, I labelled the shadows using a "marks everything" fine tipped marker. Because of the black packaging, it doesn't show up terribly clearly but it does show up!

Video Reviews & Tutorials