John Frieda John Frieda Hot Air Brush

4.7

on 5/29/2016 10:02:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I've had this tool for quite a while (maybe 2 years?). I'm so uncoordinated when trying to use a round brush and hair dryer at the same time. So..... THIS tool is perfect for me! It's super easy to use - gives you lift and makes your hair about as smooth as can be.

I usually use a regular hair dryer after towel-drying my hair, just to get a bit of the moisture out. Then I bring in this magical brush/dryer and I can use it to straighten, flip ends of hair, side-sweep my bangs - whatever I need. I use the cool setting all over once I finish actually drying/styling.

And this is SO well-priced! I'm amazed at how it grabs your hair nicely, doesn't get tangled up, (the barrel on mine does NOT rotate, so I love that feature because I don't need or want that - ever!) and the bristles on this are great, and make this so effective for styling!

Super easy to use, makes my hair smooth and somewhat shiny after finishing on the cool setting (I use a Matrix dry oil, or ENJOY oil prior to drying my hair. And sometimes also use the Dirty Play (LOVE that dry wax - it does amazing things for hair and for being able to style however you want). And yes, if this things dies on me at some point, I'm repurchasing ASAP, and hopefully the newest model is just as good as the one I have.

on 12/20/2015 5:01:00 PM

This is a great tool! I have lots of hair and blow-drying all of it can be exhausting when using a traditional hair dryer + brush combo. This makes giving myself a blow-out so much easier and the results are as good or even better because I can reach the back more easily. It also is a LOT quicker than using a normal hairdryer. I don't know about you, but I'm not skilled enough to dry my hair without having to put down the dryer and reposition the brush every few minutes. This takes a lot of time. This tool cuts my drying time in half.

The price was very good. I got it on Amazon for under $25, IIRC. It seems sturdy and well-made. Would definitely recommend.

To Read all 11 Reviews, Login or Join

I bought one from Amazon for about $20 which I thought was a good deal. I have naturally wavy/curly hair that I enjoy straightening. I really like this product because it makes my hair smooth without a ton of damage. For me, I roughly blow dry most of my hair because it is super thick, then section it off into bottom, medium, and top. I take small sections and blow them out then wrap it around and hold for 20 seconds or so. I get amazing kate Middleton loose curls at the end and my hair doesn't have the damage from a typical hot iron. I will do this more to my hair.

on 6/2/2015 1:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

While I am too lazy to use this every day, when I do I get SO many compliments. It really makes a huge difference although it is quite a bit more work than air drying!

on 6/2/2015 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I've been wrestling my abnormally thick, wavy, frizzy hair since middle school to get it to look "normal".I've probably tried hundreds of products and among them, only a couple have worked. This product is one of the few.

People, my hair used to take TWO DAYS to completely air dry. It would get 90% dry but remain damp (usually near the nape) for a long time. Blow drying it would take hours and would make it a frizzy poofy mess.

This product has literally returned my sanity to me. I used to have to schedule workouts and weekends around washing my hair. Now I get my hair drying done in 20 minutes, if that. Plus it looks like I just got out of the salon. Of course, it isn't all PERFECT, but all I do is touch up the ends with a flat iron and I'm good to go.

PROS: lightweight, hair dries fast, grips hair VERY well, manipulates texture (curly to straight) easily, adds root lift, easy to get to the damp "underlayers" of hair, leaves hair soft without frizz.

CONS: Hair can get caught where handle is connected if you're not careful, hard to prevent ends from "flipping", hair still somewhat poofy (but this is inevitable with hairdryers). Hair needs to air dry a bit before using.

EDIT: So over time, I started using this less and less because of hair damage. The brush separating my hair damaged it a fair amount, in combination with the heat, and caused poof. I took off two stars, but it's still a decent product for difficult hair.

on 5/14/2015 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Update 1/9/16: The new model of this brush has an added rotation feature, and comes with 2 different size barrels. The bristles are no longer a mix of round ended plastic and nylon bristles, now completely nylon bristles. The brush does not rotate when on the cool setting.

All hail the one beauty tool/product that I will never be without. Purchased it January of 2014 and have used it since then. I have hair that is in between wavy and curly and due to its long length it just defaults to frizzy. I use this to dry my hair completely after towelling it off a bit. Using this has given me hair that so shiny and smooth I just love it so much.
How I use it: I divide my hair into top and bottom sections after applying serum, tie the top section up, and start dividing the bottom section into 4 pieces to dry. I hold it to the base of the piece I'm drying, rotate the brush to make the hair wrap around, and veeery slowly pull down to dry. Its a process that takes 20 minutes to do all my hair, but Its easy enough to do absentmindedly while watching tv. It's also good for styling bangs especially.
About the brush: It has 3 settings; low, which is low heat and low air speed (my preferred setting because its not hot enough to burn me even if i set it down on my leg, so I assume its not very damaging), high, which is pretty hot and high air speed (i rarely use this, only in a rush), and cool, which is cool air and high air speed. I like the bristles as they're not wiry like other brushes. It does not spin, if that's what you're looking for.
What I dislike: the brush has a small crevice where the handle and bristles meet which can snag hair. This happens if I use too much hair at once and don't pay attention.

Overall I love the concept of hot air brushes but am disappointed in the lack of selection there is out there. Lots of them don't dry hair and are just hot combs, others have wiry bristles and no low setting. This is the best one I've found so far for my hair type. If you have straight smooth hair already you may not understand why this brush is a big deal, but for someone like be who has been battling frizz forever this is my secret weapon. :)

on 1/15/2015 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have lots of long, thin, wavy hair. The texture is irregular and it's natural state is poofy and undefined. I have always struggled with styling it and have always worn it up about 9 days out of 10 to avoid the stress.

I wish I'd found this sooner. It is everything you get in a professional blowout with one tool that can be held in one hand. I've always struggled to use a roundbrush and blowdryer, so this is a miracle product. The results for someone who sucks at styling hair like me are way more impressive and professional-looking, too. The only difficulty I have is that the part of the barrel for your hand is very wide. I have small hands and I'd personally prefer it to be much more narrow, and maybe to also have the buttons slightly modified or in a different place. It is lightweight, though.

This makes it very easy to swoop your hair in any direction you want, flip the ends over/under, or just straighten your hair. I haven't tried it for actually putting my curl or a significant wave in my hair yet. I'm not sure it's hot enough to hold a curl higher up, but it definitely can make smooth, soft curls or waves at the ends of your hair very easily. It is a much lower temperature than you would get with a straightening or curling iron, so I would expect it is less damaging too.

It's not powerful or hot enough to replace a regular hairdryer if you're starting your style fresh out of the shower. I'd recommend either blowdrying to about 95% dry if you're starting with wet hair, or even starting with dry hair and just doing a light mist of water and/or product. This thing is amazing for the price. Even if it broke two months in I'd feel like I've gotten my money's worth. Highly recommend it! Don't buy an expensive hot brush until you've tried this one first!

on 10/21/2014 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am reviewing the 1 inch John Frieda Hot Air Brush. I just purchased this a week ago, and I love it! My hair is one of a kind. I am 57, and my hair is dry, has cowlicks, and is just so unruly. I am not coordinated at all with a round brush and blow dryer. When I watched a YouTuber demonstrate this, I thought I would give it a try. I used my regular hair dryer first, to remove excess moisture. Then I went in and sectioned off parts of my hair and started to dry it under. My hair is not quite shoulder length, and it has layers in the crown. The unit has two heat settings and a cool setting. I can finally get body in my hair and it's not unruly anymore. My hair does not get caught in it either. I really love it. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it is not very sturdy. It feels very light weight, which is good for your hand and arm, but I hope it will withstand the constant use. I just might buy a backup. I believe it was in the 30-40 dollar range.

on 8/8/2014 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I did a lot of research on hot air brushes before making my final decision. All I can say is I would be lost now without this. I have zero coordination with the round brush and the hair dryer. The brush would almost always end up on the floor. This makes my hair so soft and shiney. I can now get that salon look all by myself.

I love this hair dyer! I have Asian hair, but not the sleek kind that doesn't need any hair product/styling. My hair frizzes so badly and I usually have to flat iron it with my CHI every morning. I don't like how flat and oily it gets throughout the day though. This thing is truly a life saver! I use it after the shower (when my hair is 90% dry) or the morning after I air dry my hair. Either way, it makes my hair super soft and easy to manage! I really wish I could toss my CHI because this is the only hot tool I will be using for my hair

Popular Hair Styling Tools