Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.1

on 10/25/2017 12:49:00 PM

One of the most amazing fragrances around. And I mean it...
I own "L'heure bleue" and "Jardins de bagatelle" but "Vol de nuit" is by far my favorite. Very sensual and sophisticated without being too strong and chemical. Very understated yet elegant. But you have to OWN it. This is not a perfume for beginners ;)

on 1/16/2015 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wrote the composition notes of. VdN. Vintage extrait (along with Vintage Miss Dior and Vintage caron NdN) in my Avon Bird of. Paradise review. In summary, balsamic woody oriental chypre 1933, including hesperedic notes: bergamot, petit grain; Galbanum, narcissus/daffodil; jasmine, iris/orris root; sandalwood, vanillin (guerlain and, I think, caron, famously insisted on synthetic, adulterated vanillin, a component in caron Mousse de Saxe), amber, oakmoss, benzoin, ambergris, musk, castoreum. (Caron is most famous for using mousse de Saxe; I don't know if Guerlain did as well, but there were numerous premade concoctions: mousse de Saxe, mousse de Chene, etc., by De Laire and other companies). Off topic, I read somewhere that E. Routnitska was known to perform his own personal oxidation of DeLaire compound, in Rochas Femme and other creations.

I had a quarter ounce of VdN vintage extrait; I don't know if I would buy vintage extrait again, but I have ordered VdN vintage clock or disc bottle, new old stock, Edc, circa 1960s-1980s? It has a glass stopper, not a metal screw cap. I also ordered VdN current modern edition (2013 or latter) extrait (presumably with Theirry Wassers reengineered oak moss?)

Was going to update comparisons later, but then I realized that the reviews by flame dancer and Ella 343 belie say it best. I do think vol du nuit is less warm in tone and a bit more four season friendly than caron NdN, but I would wear caron NdN year round too, depending on my mood. VdN is more austere. I should also state that I under apply fragrance and prefer to dab it, not spray which affects outcome and eliminates or reduces sillage.

on 5/22/2012 1:01:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Vol de Nuit, you were worth every hard-earned and carefully-saved penny. Created in 1933, the top notes are bergamot, galbanum and petit grain; heart notes are jasmine, daffodil and spices; base notes are earthy woods, iris, vanilla, amber and woodsy notes. Like so many perfumes I love it is an old and deep scent, sitting close to the skin -- but not so close as to make it not worth my while.

I'll have to add more later.

on 7/24/2011 12:27:00 PM

I absolutely adore this perfume, and it's my signature scent. It's a very sophisticated, adult scent, nothing prissy or girly. It's full on W.O.M.A.N. On my skin it's a warm, soft, woody, oriental-ish floral. I have no problem with it's sillage, as I often get compliments on it in the afternoon, long after I have initially put it on. A lovely, classic fragrance.

The most beautiful thing I've ever smelled, and that includes rain, lilacs and hockey rinks. A sexy, seductive, intelligent, mysterious, aloof, hypnotic, animalistic, bombshell, come-hither, ballsy broad perfume.

on 10/1/2010 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I was all set to love this. Firstly, it's a Guerlain. Secondly, the bottle is strikingly beautiful, and the name reminds me of a Howard Hughes movie (only if Howard Hughes was French). However, this is one of those Guerlains that doesn't develop on me. It smelled exactly as aldehydic and synthetic on my skin after hours of wear as it did straight from the sample...pretty much as if I rubbed fancy nail polish remover on my skin. Also it gave me a bit of a rash. So sad!

on 1/14/2010 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

(UPDATE: 2/22/2016: Just bought a new bottle of the EDT from NEIMAN-MARCUS, after not having smelled this fragrance for about 7 years. Yes, there it is, that simple but gorgeous smell that is so nice. Aldehydes are HUGE and nose-prickling in the opening spray. I am gratified to see that the leather component is still highly indolic, ie., very slightly mothball-ish, in the oldschool fashion. I love that note, though I'm aware it's precisely what today's under-35's hate in vintage numbers. I agree with everyone here that the EDT is quite evanescent, yet the signature jasmin/leather/Guerlinade accord does linger recognizably for several hours. I observe that the "cherry" almond component of the Guerlinade is rather prominent in the current EDT formulation, reminding some of LHEURE BLEUE.)

VOL DE NUIT is a gorgeous green chypre, with some warming amber, leather and spice elements afoot. But it is by no means an Oriental, and it bears little comparison to SHALIMAR, as some have claimed. VdN is warm, yet never sweet.
That initial hit of galbanum, bergamot, petitgrain, neroli, aldehydes and "Guerlinade" is so refreshing. You'll detect that salty heliotrope/PLAY-DOH note that seems to balkanize smellers. Then an indolic jasmin begins to gently creep out from under the brilliance, tinged with musk and the faintest hint of civet.
May rose, patchouly, frankincense and oakmoss begin to bestow a solidity and identity to the mix; cassia and santal, some warmth.
Au fond, you have a pleasantly "dirty" leather--- like fallen autumn leaves mulching in the mud--- and you begin to feel that VdN is like a cherished pair of old comfortable shoes, or a well-worn, loved brown leather aviator's jacket.

No fragrance incorporates patchouly so deftly.... It is pronounced, yet never once "headshoppy" or heady. VOL DE NUIT is a warm lovable leather, decidedly outdoorsy...almost sporty. Perhaps it could be worn to a formal occasion, yet VdN's real beauty and usefulness is as a friendly, unpretentious daytime companion. Probably most at home with jeans, boots and a leather jacket. VdN is flawlessly blended and balanced; so many things are going on "under the hood", yet individual notes never stand out.... Like the other Guerlains, all one smells is the Gestalt, the totality. Perhaps no perfume house manages this "Gestalt"-type blending as well, so completely, as Guerlain.

VdN is indeed an old-fashioned type smell--- the notes of galbanum, orris, peach, and a nostalgic "TABU-like" accord of patchouly/rose/amber hearken back to the first half of the 20thc.---- but I mean this in the very best way. People who truly know perfumery will cherish this one, and sadly there are probably some twenty-somethings out there who will never even give it a chance. VOL DE NUIT never once pretends to be anything it's not. It will occupy a most special place in your wardrobe... always as a good, chummy friend.

I believe it can be easily Unisex.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

We all know Shalimar is beautiful but many of us associate with an elderly family member that has worn it for the last 50 years. This exemplifies how good the fragrance is because it is still appealing after all these years. I don't know about you, but I want my fragrance choices to be unique. I don't want to smell like aunt Sheba (that's her scent).

Vol De Nuit is a beautiful woody oriental. It has many similarities to Shalimar but is a bit naughtier/sexier/edgier. I love this. It's Shalimar's prettier sister that doesn't go to as many parties and has a smaller social circle.

on 10/28/2009 5:19:00 PM

Ive just recieved my first one, ordered online unsniffed, what a great surprise: I loved it! It reminds me of something that I have no idea what it is... as each one of all old guerlains I suppose. It surely has something of Shalimar but more fruitier and some insence leading into some animalic almost manly dark note. Amazing fragrance! Ill keep ordering unsniffed guerlain classics online as nothing compares to them. Thanks for all you girls reviewers that in a way are helping me on my relevance list!

on 6/9/2009 12:05:00 AM

Despite Vol de Nuit's legendary status, it does nothing for me, after 30 minutes the aldehydes settle in and don't budge. I'm fasting drawing the conclusion that my skin does not like aldehydes as I seem to find this with every perfume that I know contains prominent aldehydes, i.e. Chanel #5 and a couple of Carons. I never encounter this with perfumes from Serge Lutens, Montale etc that omit this chemical ingredient. A perfume lesson has been learned!

Popular Fragrances