Homemade Flax Seed Hair Gel

Homemade Flax Seed Hair Gel
Homemade Flax Seed Hair GelHomemade Flax Seed Hair GelHomemade Flax Seed Hair Gel

4.7

on 5/4/2017 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Just hands down the best thing I have ever put in my hair. For real.

I make a very thick version on the stovetop, just the seeds and water. I don't use anything added to it or layered under it, just a couple of large blobs worked through my wet curls. My hair air-dries shiny, spirally, and defined.

Also, unlike pretty much every other hair product, flaxseed gel doesn't break me out. Wish I'd started using it years ago!

on 8/27/2015 11:41:00 AM

Where have you been all my life? Absolutely delighted with this .. it's a wonderful liquid styling gel for my curly frizzy hair. Makes hair soft and silky too. So happy to have found the recipe and it's so cheap to make as well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I have fine medium length 3A curls. I went CG about 6 months ago and I am so glad I have found this recipe. It is the best for my hair.

Now, I wash daily because my curls are fragile. After sleeping on them, the are a lost cause. Anyway, I had read on other sites how great flax seed gel is so when I found a simple recipe, I thought I would give it a try.

I use this after using my co-wash in the shower and I use about 3 quarter sized handfuls and squish into my hair. Now, this does have a weird snotty, egg white consistency but it's worth it, It doesn't flake, it gives me great clumping and shine better than any other gel I have tried. I love how much moisture it gives my hair and it washes out easily. I have also noticed increased volume and my hair is shedding less.

To make it, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube but I take a quarter cup of brown whole flax seed and boil it with 2 cups of water for 7 minutes and use a fine kitchen strainer to strain out the seeds. I use a cleaned out 8oz Philosophy bottle with a flip top which hold a whole batch and works fine. Store in the fridge. Love that I can make it when I need it,

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Edit- adding a couple of drops of honey and (simmered till thick) coconut milk (about 1/4 can for 2 T flaxseeds' gel) makes the curls last. Aloe vera mixed in also helps. --

he majority of reviews have described in great detail how to make this--i want to add my experience with the resulting 'product.' smooth, bouncy curls (pincurl set), yes, but i have had better results by using a very $$$ product. This doesn't allow the set to last well, beyond 1 day, and it frizzes--compared to the other product that is hG but too pricey. It is a liquid-gel consistency--not stringy, but like JellO that has not set. It doesn't leave disgusting residue, crunch, or white flakes. Good for every day use. Will experiment with other ingredients to see if I can concoct a recipe that would allow for good hair beyond 1 measly day...

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

At first, I found this incredibly difficult to make. If you wait for the boiling liquid to evaporate, you will have a thick lump of slime from which it is impossible to strain out the seeds. You need to strain this when it is still fairly liquid or add liquid if you've missed the boat.

I also boiled methi (fenugreek) seeds with the (organic) flax seeds as in India they are popularly known to be great for the hair and scalp. However, the usual way is to mash them into a paste and use them. I cannot say that the fenugreek seeds have helped as I have only tried making the gel with them but I will make the next batch WITHOUT them and update.

Not only does the texture make this gel difficult to make, it also makes it difficult to apply. It comes in huge slimy globs that are difficult to separate and tend to slip out of your hands. If you don't spread it properly, it can look like a giant blob of snot (sorry!). However, once you have it well-distributed in your hair, I find the best thing to do is to braid. The gel does not have great hold, but it will keep your braided hair in place and keep frizz and flyaways at bay. Later on in the day, if you want to unbraid your hair, you will find quite nice and smooth waves. However, I did not find that the gel had any permanent conditioning effect. Like all gels, it seems to make my hair dry overnight. However, I am happy that I am at least not chemically damaging my hair. I already have super dry, frizzy coloured hair. I am going to experiment with adding oil or aloe gel and see if it works out any different.

The gel itself lasts quite a long time. I have been using it for 3 weeks now and it is fine as long as I refrigerate. It also does not have any smell.

on 12/7/2013 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Okay, so I have experimented with the 'recipe' out there, which is basically boil 1 tbsp. of flax seeds in 1 cup of water for about 10-15 min. Then spend like an hour straining the seeds out !!! Ain't nobody got time for that! What I've found is you don't need to boil it until it becomes all goopy to work, and if you want you don't even have to boil the seeds - just soaking it overnight works too.

My way: Boil 1 tbsp. of flax seeds in 1 cup of water just until the water starts changing colour - about 4-5 minutes. At this point it's a bit thicker than water but still very runny. Then while it's still hot pour it through a tea strainer to get the seeds out. Pop the 'gel' into the fridge/freezer and it will firm up and become slightly goopy. Done!

A thinner 'gel' works for me but if you want thicker gel for hold obviously you can boil it for longer, but then you will spend more time getting the seeds out. I gently put about a tbsp. of this gel in my hair while it's wet, and when my hair dries I have lovely shiny frizz-free not-at-all-crunchy curls (I have curly 3A ringlet-y hair). Dirt-cheap, only two ingredients, and easy to make (my way) - what more could you want?

Bonus: Use the gel as a face mask, and it seriously leaves your skin feeling like silk. It's supposed to be good for you if you add it to food too.

ETA:

- I forgot to mention, as there are no preservatives the gel does go bad - in about a week if left outside, 2 weeks in the fridge. When it gets a vinegary smell I throw it out. I did once use some slightly vinegary smelling gel and it worked fine lol but just to be on the safe side I wouldn't recommend doing that...

- Oh, and while I'm glad someone took the time to take pictures, those pictures look suuper gross. FYI what you will end up with is something that looks and feels like egg white. In fact, vegetarians use flax seed gel as a substitute for egg.

on 7/4/2010 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is a godsend for my curls, I've never had such beautifully defined soft bouncy curls from any other product. It's incredibly easy to make, and you can customize it to your wish! I personally like putting some agave nectar and rose oil in mine, it smells so good! I highly recommend anyone with curly hair to go buy some flaxseeds and make this, the seeds are very inexpensive and you can find it in safeway and wholefoods. The only downer is that it goes bad I think after 2 weeks, but I don't mind making small batches every week and experimenting with ingredients to find what goes well with my hair. I'd say it might take about 10ish minutes to make, but your hair will thank you for it :)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have made this a few times every couple of months to use as a styling gel. It gives amazing shine and curl definition for me as it is completely organic. I only make small batches and keep in the fridge for a day or two since I don't add any preservatives in mine and don't want to risk spoilage. I usually experiment with consistency and prefer it to be slightly liquidy. It has decent hold, but can be layered with another gel. If you want a tiny bit more moisture, you can try adding 100% agave nectar or real honey (avoid the one in the plastic bear bottle). You can also experiment with different hair oils to add. I like to switch between jojoba oil or grapeseed oil as they are both light enough to use on my hair without effecting clumping. It is a process to make I admit and comes with a bit of trial and error. I do suggest that you don't overcook them (10-15 minutes on medium heat, constantly stirring until you get the consistency you want) as they will be a pain to strain out. You can try using a pair of panty hose if this does happens but it will be very messy. Also wait for it to cool down before storing or using. I use a regular Tupperware container to store mine in the fridge.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

What you need:

1) A pot/wok that you don't mind scraping.

2) A few hours which you don't mind spending on the...

3) ...Few ounces of flax seed and water you've faithfully stirred/whisked in the hopes of...

4) ...Majority Holy Grail hair days.

I purposefully did not provide measurements (yet) for flax vs. water, as your hair made need more or less tacky slime than mine does. Hint--don't use cookware you love when you're making this gel. It may be ok. It may be trashed.

"So if this fails, I can reconstitute the glop as an Omega-3 smoothie add-in?"

No review should ever begin that way, but considering that this experiment began when I was seeking a side dish for halibut? It is what it is.

And what I have is about 16 fluid ounces of the goo left over from boiling 1/4 cup of flax seeds in five cups of water for two hours. This was not an Uncle Ben's pour and dash--this was an arborio nurse and observe. If I count the extra 10 ounces which is still reducing on the stove? I've either lucked upon one great hair product or a wasted evening.

As this became a two-hour mix/strain/mix/stir/boil/wonder why I'm going to put this into my hair/rinse/repeat saga. I really didn't think this few flax seed could produce this much...of whatever is inside of them that's...gooey. I'm on my fourth reduction, and this seems to be the last run for the seeds as the liquid in the wok is a lot thinner than previous batches. But it's still thicker than most hair glazes I've used. Which is why I've been wanting to make this.

My hair is big. I have a lot of thin yet hyper-curly strands, and they tend to love slimey products. Not mousse, not butter, not oil, not spray. Slime. Something that just runs through them like a slippery...sorry, slime. It's not the best image, but rubber cement? It's ironic that some of my all time Holy Grail hair products mentioned that tacky substance in their descriptions. Of course, the names were tacky, but they were a slippery success in my hair.

So back to the asphalt I'm willingly cooking in my kitchen? It has to be babysat like new sidewalk in a downtown area--somehow, something's going to go wrong, so you have to make sure you're stirring, scraping, moving it. Because when it dries, it's there for a bit of time. Which made me wonder if it's the best substance to be in my hair. I did a test application with a glob that fell off of my whisk. Yes, it dried to a very stiff finish, but the crunchiness was easily smoothed away with a light raking...and the resulting hair was so defined and shiny that I wasn't upset for spending a worknight on a beauty project.

But a tuft versus the entire head is a different story. I'm not brave enough to use this as my sole product on a Thursday, but I am looking forward to Saturday brunch.

Recanting the review of the fourth reduction--it's still going strong, not as stringy but still binding.

on 11/1/2010 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I've been using/making flax gel for the past two years and after my first batch, I was hooked. I have super curly 3c/4a hair and this is the best gel/spray I've found to style it. When my hair was longer, I diluted the gel with water to make it into a hairspray to use in the shower for a wash and go. Now that my hair is very short, I simply use the gel spread it through my hair to get the curls together. I keep my batches refrigerated for about 1 to 2 weeks. You can kind of tell when it starts to turn which is when I now its time to make a new batch. I usually mix it with a few drops of glycerin but since I ran out, my last batch was made w/ out it without any noticeable differences to my hair. I love that its "dirt cheap" to make. I've heard you can reuse the seeds but I just toss mine after boiling once. Oh, and another thing I like is how light it is at the end of the day. I don't feel like I have "product" in my hair. It doesn't feel icky if I sleep with it in my hair and it doesn't break me out. I can't sing its praises enough and I recommend it to any curly haired person who is willing to try it.

Popular Styling Products