Lancome Color Design Shadow & Liner Palette "Taupe Craze"

Lancome Color Design Shadow & Liner Palette

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I got a gwp mini compact of the Taupe Craze Colour Design Palette last week. The first thing I noticed is that the gwp mini is very different in colouration to the full size Taupe Craze. It is more gray and less cool brown taupe. However once on the skin, it's similar.

The photo above is not Taupe Craze either the full size version or my mini gwp version. What is up there looks very peach and bronze.

TOP: There is a cool toned cream matte that applies as an ivory with a pinkish undertone on the top bar. I am a NC 15-20 and warm pale skinned redhead. This and the liner I will use up. It is almost too pale for me, so on anyone else that is above a 15 to 20 skin tone, this will come across almost whitish ivory. More of a highlight shade for others, but for me it's a highlight or pale cream wash that knocks out discolouration and makes a blendable base.

The center 3 from the left are:
far left: a shimmery pale taupe with a purpley undertone that goes on pale shimmery taupe. Blends easily but the shimmer is a bit patchy.

center: a matte cool mid brown contour shade that goes on darker than expected but too light for a liner shade unless you want a moderate smoked eye look. Difficult to blend out. Grabs and holds.

far right: another shimmery pale taupe just a touch darker but otherwise the same as the far left one. Both of them are a pale taupe on the skin, cool tone, slight purple cast, not enough to show purple but a true taupe.

Bottom bar: the liner shade. This is a matte cool dark chocolate brown, no reds or purples, just a dark brown liner. It has less fallout, almost none. I am comparing it to Bronze Amour which has TONS of fallout onto the upper cheek area when applied with a liner brush. This one has very little but I'd still use a shield when applying it.

All the shades LAST well! I don't get the fallout problem with the shimmer or with the liner shade that I do with Bronze Amour.

That actually makes it a better eye shadow set. The shadows are creamy smooth, no irritation and are really nice to work with.

I won't rebuy because this is too cool toned for me. Taupes and greys make me look tired and often bring out the red rimmed eye look that I'm prone to as a redhead.

Unless you are a redhead who avoids taupes, this would suit almost everyone else.

Good set of neutrals, better than Bronze Amour for it's quality and performance. If you are like me and require a warmer set of neutrals, look at Bronze Amour but be prepared to deal with fallout.

EDITED TO ADD:
Yes I think I WILL buy a full size version of this. I changed my mind! I'm finding it works well when I'm doing a red lip evening look with a rose toned blush. So for me, this is as cool and grey as I can safely go, and it's still pushing my limits but I'm really liking it so I think the next time I'm on a cruise and hit the duty free shop, I'll pick up one of these.

on 3/1/2015 6:28:00 PM

I'm a huge fan of taupes in general, and this palette is a great addition to my taupe collection. I agree with many of the comments here--this is one that probably looks best on paler complexions (I'm NW15 for reference). It's on the warm side of taupe, but neutral enough that it can go with just about anything. Today I'm wearing fuchsia, tomorrow I'll probably wear green, and this palette will go with either color.

The formulation is good--these shadows go on very smoothly and evenly. The colors aren't super-pigmented, but not the worst I've seen by a longshot. They're all on the shimmery side--from a pearl (for the all-over base color) to almost-disco-ball (the highlighter). I'm ok with shimmer. If you're not, this might not be for you. The colors are fantastic, though, and really make my blue eyes stand out.

These stay on just about all day, so I'd say that the longevity is about average. Over a primer, I can wear these for about 8-9 hours.

If I want something that lasts longer or doesn't have as much shimmer, I use Lancome's Timeless Taupe (my current favorite single taupe shadow) or BB Fawn (currently unavailable, but similar) over an ivory/bone all-over color. I love how this one palette is all you need for a complete look--your highlighter, lid color, crease color, and liner are all here, and they coordinate beautifully. Lancome seems to do this pretty well.

I like this a lot. Is it holy grail material? Not quite, but this is a palette of taupe neutrals that still can hold its own next to UD Naked or some of the others out there.

To Read all 6 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I got this with a GWP from Lancome. The best color is on the bottom left. The very light color that extends across the top is too light for anyone who is not the fairest of the fair. I'm MAC NC37 and it did not deposit any color anywhere.The color on the far right is too dark to act as a highlighter, but I would use it as a lid color. Other colors in the palette were average, nothing you couldnt get cheaper in a different line. Overall I would consider buying the one color on the far left if it is available. The others - a waste.

I've had this color palette for almost a year, and I have worn it most days since. It's still going strong, which is why I actually think the price of the product is very well justified. Quality and lasts long. I chose this over the Naked Urban Decay palette (even though I have nothing against it at all, I was just a beginner, and there were too many colors). Taupe Craze is perfect because all the colors balance out beautifully for a neutral smoky look. You can play it up for night wear too. Goes with everything. My one tip would be to definitely buy the double tipped ombré shadow brush and eyeliner brush, as the generic foam brushes provided in the compact would irritate my skin and wouldn't give an even application. I've bought Gris Fatale since, and I love that too. I don't ever see myself using a different shadow!

on 7/10/2013 11:27:00 PM

When in Sephora trying to decided between this palette and Dior's "Incognito" I was talked into this one by a SA. Surprised when the colors seemed to be very pigmented and creamy, I went with this over the Dior and now regret it. Several of the Lancome colors are more shimmery than I thought - and the effect doesn't lessen upon application. More importantly, once I applied these colors, they were, to say the least, underwhelming. The shadow seems to irritate my eyes and there is not one color of the bunch that would make me want to wear it again. Hate, hate taking things back to the store but for $51 this is going back and I will get the Dior palette. To date not one of those palettes have every disappointed.

Taupe Craze is the most foolproof, classic little neutral palette you will come across. It contains a dark brown liner with imperceptible amounts of ultra fine glitter (though mostly matte, if that makes sense), a peachy-bone matte, a matte taupe brown, a shimmery taupe, and a a very sheer, metallic silvery-pink highlighter. The lightest shade, even though it is matte, is incredibly creamy and pigmented and is definitely my go-to brow bone color out of all the shadows in my arsenal. I like to dab it in the inner corner of my eyes as well, since it has such a pleasant brightening effect. The liner is best used wet for optimum color payoff, and can easily double as brow color (if you're brunette). It's also nice in the outer "v" of your eye. The silvery highlighter is gorgeous when used with your ring finger; just tap it onto your lid for a sexy *pop*; it catches the light in a soft, flirty way whenever you blink. Very versatile palette and it's about as big as a credit card, perfect for ladies on the go.