Chanel 1932

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Chanel 1932

3.0

on 3/11/2013 8:26:00 PM

I read that this was a cross between 31 RC and another CHANEL exclusif, but I disagree. I've got 31 RC, and it's much richer and more forthright than 1932. 1932 is old school perfumerie. No skank, no "precious" or any other kind of wood (yes, I know there are descriptions showing a woodiness, but not to my nose). I get a not too sweet, soft, absolutely elegant floral. On first spray, you do get a lot of notes that smell like every second perfume out there, but within a few minutes the heart shows, and it's gorgeous. This fragrance is like a soft Sisley or some really retro frag from even before the 50's and 60's when things started to get bolder. 1932 is classic, wearable day or evening and even at work. (scent free environment, my big, white you-know-what...). Thanks to CHANEL boutique in Toronto for the sample - I will definitely purchase a bottle.

BTW, 1932 doesn't bowl you over or punch you in the nose. When you wear it, the only people who will know are the people you want to be close enough to notice...

***EDIT*** okay, it's tomorrow and NOW I get it about 31RC and EDC, plus a little of the Prada Iris drydown, in fact that prada slight woody/tinny drydown is a disappointment. I'll still buy it, but I don't think this frag is the big one for me. Good, in fact very good, but not the ultimate frag.

...and EDIT again...dropped to 4 lippies. I sprayed 31RC with a small blast of Herme Eau Orange just to see what would happen, and got something gorgeous. I think even better than 1932. so maybe no purchase, because I've already got the 31RC, which is really hard to beat.

on 3/3/2013 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been wearing Chanel for 30 years now. I LOVE Chanel and rarely do they let me down. When I first read the discription on 1932, I was ify on if it was going to be any good or not. I went and bought a bottle of 1932 today and I'm really kind of disappointed with it. Don't get me wrong it smells good. I think if you are new to Chanel you will absolutey love it. If you have been using Chanel for awhile, I'm afraid you might be a little let down as well.

While this purfume did let me down it is still a good scent. It would be great for those days when you are wearing jeans and a t-shirt, running around town.

on 1/31/2013 10:42:00 PM

Ok, two exclusifs- Chanel EDC and 31 Rue Cambon- had an offspring: out came 1932!

Now, don't get me wrong, I love both of these and have bought two LARGE bottles of each.. but don't try to sell me a song and dance about the jewels, the light, the blah blah blah (you'd have to look at some of the reviews and the ad copy of this one to know what I'm referring to) and then try to sell me a mish-mash of both. Perhaps there is a market for a more lemony Rue Cambon? Well , there you have it. The citrus of the EDC is very marked throughout, overlying the rich ambery tapestry that is Rue Cambon. My first impression (and hope) was that this was a much lighter fragrance than Rue Cambon, which can weigh on me at times, but what I initially thought was "space" between the heavy sandalwood yumminess of Cambon, turned out to be a citrus magnolia accord. This is a VERY diffusive and hermetic scent. Do not expect a light one. One small spritz on the back of one hand lasted well over 6 hours and diffused beautifully around me. To use the analogy of fabric, if Rue Cambon is a brocade of the autumnal orange of a persimmon, 1932 is a thick cream-colored tweed (ooooh lined in navy leather, how very Chanel...)

In fact, the lemony amberiness of 1932 very quickly reminded me of Shalimar Light (the original one), which I've loved and wore through a glorious Paris heat wave a few years ago.

Again, taken on its own I think 1932 is lovely. It's just not an original and was clearly the rather lazy re-tweeking of Rue Cambon. Why not call it Rue Cambon Light? Ok, I can see that doesn't sound so great.. Still, I expect more transparency from a company like Chanel.

The good news is that these babies are available in smaller bottles than the original keg-sized troughs, so that *if* you do feel the need to lighten up your Rue Cambon you can do so without dipping into the kids' college fund.

Popular Fragrances