LUSH Dirty Hair Styling Cream

4.5

Really didn't work for me. Was planning on using this on my roots to give it some volume but that didn't work and it left my hair ex-tre-me-ly sticky. I needed several washes to remove all the product. Plus I didn't like the smell. I like Lush a lot but this was one of the worst products I tried from them for me. I threw it away..

on 4/20/2016 11:59:00 PM

Let me start off by saying I have very thick, coarse, long (to mid-back) wavy/curly hair, and I am still learning the best way to use this for my hair type. Judging from the reviews and my experience, I would say it's probably a better product for short, fine or normal hair.

It isn't a cream; it is a paste. It will stick your hair together like glue, which is what it's supposed to do, I guess, but it can create some industrial-strength tangles on second and third-day hair. Despite the coconut butter and oil, it isn't as emollient as I expected. On my already-dry hair, it's even kind of drying. I have to put a little hair oil in my damp hair before applying it. The scent is okay. I don't know how to describe it. It reminds me of something woody and masculine, but my son says it smells like plant matter lol It fades pretty quickly though, so it's not an issue.

The first time I used this, I woke up with the beautiful beach waves I had been dreaming of and I was ecstatic--for about 10 minutes. Then most of the waves fell out. I don't think it's just the Lush; my hair is probably too heavy for any product to hold.

Because my hair is so thick and long, I'm used to tripling the recommended amount of product, but that was a mistake. This stuff thickens hair, which is great if you have fine or thin hair and want the volume, but my hair is already thick. The first time I used too much in my wet hair it was just nasty--my hair felt like it really had dirt in it lol--but using it on dry hair didn't create the waves and curls I wanted. I have found the best way to use it is to apply it by degrees; put some in my hair when it's damp, use a little more the next day to scrunch it and freshen the style, add a little more the next day, and so on.

All in all, though, I do like it. It does work better on my hair than any other product I've tried, so I'm going to keep tinkering with it. Because you don't have to use much of it, a tub will last a good while.

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/26/2016 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

OMG I love this stuff. Now that I know how to use it. It is wonderful and really does hold and adds texture and volume. I love it,. Thanks MUA

on 1/25/2016 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

A little goes a long way with this product! I admit, this is my first LUSH product that I've tried. I have thick hair, and I needed a good styling product that would hold. This product worked for me in spades! As I said, a little goes a long way, but this product offers quite a bit of hold. Good value, a jar will last me a very long time!

on 7/7/2015 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

This styling cream has a strong overpowering earthy scent. I mainly use it for my buns to give them a different, sleek look. Other times I may use it for chunky twists or flat twists. I noticed that the product does not play nice with water so it works best on dry hair. It's not a styler that I reach for regularly I'm afraid.

EDIT: Oct '15
Dirty is deserving of an extra lippy. It performs so well in humid weather. I still use it on dry hair but also on damp hair now, after applying a bit of oil. The finish becomes semi-matte and the hold remains medium. To refresh a style when I am down on time I just mist water as needed. Yes it's that long lasting (but washes out easily)!

on 4/28/2015 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

this smells like dirty and gorgeous had a baby and i was born crying buy me! buy me!

on 7/15/2014 3:44:00 PM

This product is amazing. I have fine, thin-ish long hair that is always lacking volume. I bought this based off the reviews here and I am not disappointed! I just put a little on my fingertips and run through my roots (from underneath). My hair has tons of volume all day, looks thick and amazing.
It actually makes me not hate my hair for once.

Will for sure buy again and again!

on 7/8/2014 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I LOVE Lush facial cleansers, creams, scrubs - everything! But I had never tried their hair products. I tested this styling cream by using it to twist a tiny section of my natural 4-type tightly coiled, but super-duper fine hair and let it marinate while I browsed the store. When I unraveled the twist I had MAJOR definition, smooth strands and softness. I was really shocked! And instantly infatuated. It has a very mild fragrance that I can't even explain, kind of rosy floral, musky - not my fave, and it lingers, but it's subtle so it's tolerable - and as with all Lush products a dab really does go a long way. The cream is not water based so it's effective battling frizzy pieces and it's pretty heavy - it's not heavy in the tub/doesn't seem heavy on your fingers, but once you apply it to your hair it goes to work! You can see it working immediately to give that firm but soft, matte, hold. It also makes your hair pretty humidity resistant. Here in Houston that is a PLUS! This cream gives your hair a very textured feel, almost sticky but not, pliable, supplies a smooth and firm hold, and it very effective for slicking down edges, smoothing frizzy flyaways and defining curls!!! Amen for a product that does everything it claims to do. My hair laughs at most gels and creamy styling products, as they are just not heavy enough to hold or keep frizzies at bay whatsoever. This is my new favorite heavy duty styler and slicker! I still love my HG Giovanni Wicked Wax which gives a lighter hold with tons of moisture and shine, but I love that this cream is not greasy and shiny. For super fine straight hair this product may be too heavy, but my coils LOVE it :-)

on 2/5/2014 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love love love! Easy to manipulate in hair, smells wonderful, and good for the hair!

on 8/28/2013 3:51:00 PM

I have long, fine, thin hair and am always looking to boost my volume. Not only does this product give me volume at the roots but also that perfect, sexy bedhead look. To style, I first take about two fingertips worth of product and rub my hands together before working it into my roots. Then I use the excess (or take a little bit more) to sort of scrunch my hair, twisting it as I go and fluffing it up. The style holds but remains flexible which I like since I mess with my hair a lot. A little goes a long way and I can liven up the style throughout the day by flipping my head upside down and just playing with it again. After I tried a sample of this stuff, I threw out all of my other useless products and I bought the full-size (they even gave me another sample of their Roots hair treatment). Attractive, no nonsense packaging, not tested on animals, smells incredible and is hand-made. Very much worth the cost and they give you a lot of product.