Thierry Mugler Alien Essence Absolue

Thierry Mugler  Alien Essence Absolue
Alien Essence Absolue

4.4

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A little too heavy & strong. This is coming from some who wears angel, youth dew & No. 5 on a reg basis. I sent this back to get another bottle of reg Alien. This wasn’t sweet enough it was kind of bitter maybe I had an old bottle I got mine on eBay. In retrospect i kind of wish I’d kept it but it was $20 that’d be laying around never used. I paid $30 for alien I think it’s money better spent! I love Alien just not this as much. I get a lavendar vibe off it I hate lavendar I find it bitter & sour. TM is a scent genius. But he’s not Jacque polger!

This perfume smells so divine and I really love it. I purchased this before I got Alien because I love vanilla and this mixed with the Jasmine plus the incense, orris root, myrrh, and white Amber creates such a lovely scent. I like to wear this at night during the colder months. I think this smells so good in cold weather. I also like to wear this at night or to special occasions. I love Mugler fragrances because they are so strong, unique, and, they last on me for hours with a very heavy sillage. A little really goes a long way with this as well. I would buy the refill of this any day, but I still have so much since you only need a few tiny sprays. Seriously one great scent. Love!

Side note: Also I've layered this with Alien and find the two together to be so lovely. :)

on 9/2/2017 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Be still my beating heart
Love
Love love this perfume
To me Thierry is a genius ... he developed perhaps the most talked about perfume that has ever been invented for good and bad reasons ...
Angel .. I love it when used sparingly .. it is heavenly .. and this is I think maybe my holy grail that I've been looking for ... 15 years along with Angel of course .. I don't like the "normal" Alien .. just too strong for me although I love smelling on others .. but this ... ooohhhhh ... gorgeous .. adorable ...special
😘😘😘 Thank
You Mr Mugler

on 7/24/2017 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Another sweet fragrance... Very Sweet Candy bubblegum cordial lollipop Tabu fragrance ... Some of the things it reminds me of

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Sadly this one didn't work for me and I have already tossed it. Here are my thoughts. First of all, whatever you do, DO NOT spray this on your neck while wearing a white shirt. It will leave a rust-colored stain that will never come out no matter what stain-removal method you try. Big sad face. About the scent itself: I learned about this fragrance while on my quest for “If you love Black Opium, then you’ll also love ______”. I can see why this was recommended - it is yummy, especially at first with these gorgeous warm amber topnotes but after that it goes downhill for me. That's because lurking beneath that amazing beginning that sucks you right in, is a base of pure Vicks Vapo Rub. I guess it's technically balsamic (maybe?) but it leaves a medicinal impression, almost minty and the very opposite of the warm sexy muskiness of the topnotes. From all the reviews I've read, I am in the minority but this one just doesn't gel with my chemistry.

on 10/16/2016 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Skin chemistry is a funny thing. It's interesting to see how many people are describing this as being "softer" and demure... maybe, compared to the original Alien, but in my opinion Alien Essence Absolue is a total kickass scent with an attitude.

I'VE FINALLY FOUND THE SCENT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ALL THESE YEARS. I used to be obsessed with LUSH's American Cream conditioner scent. Years ago, they came out with a bunch of fragrance solids and one of them smelled just like the American Cream conditioner. American Cream smells like a deep vanilla with herbaceous "cool" spices (apparently the mix is lavender and clary sage, among other things). When they discontinued the perfume solid, I was very sad, but there are a lot of Etsy dupes out there to satisfy my needs. Still, it never felt the same. Ever since I began my fragrance journey, there were two LUSH fragrances that I wished I could meet again in other fragrances: American Cream and Honey I Washed The Kids. However, Alien Essence Absolue is even better than American Cream by far.

Now, the regular Alien and I got along, but it wasn't necessarily 'me'. I usually have a beef with jasmine/gardenia-dominated scents in which they become a bit too fleshy or indolic to my nose, sort of like baby poopy butt (sorry!), but on me Alien was a bit too squeaky clean. I guess I'm not a huge fan of floral-dominated scents in the first place, but I digress. There's a bit of Alien DNA in Alien Essence Absolue, but it plays a supportive role instead. Vanilla is the star of Alien Essence Absolue, but this is a very adult, boozy vanilla that is more fragrant than edible. It opens up with bright amber, clean jasmine and smoky incense. At first, there is a definite "root beer" vibe--similar to Hypnotic Poison's, but HP is more akin to root beer float with vanilla ice cream on top, closer to vanilla marzipan pie. Alien Essence Absolue's root beer seems to be more "old-fashioned" in a sense, like it was made in a traditional artisanal way, as if it was stored in oak barrels like wine for months to give it some deepness and depth. The result you get is a spicy, boozy root beer with balsamic, floral nuances. The incense notes are very prominent on my skin in the first stages and the amber of Alien gives it a sort of golden, honeyed glazed finish to the nose. As the fragrance settles into the base, it becomes more refined as the edges get softened by a cozy vanilla, but Alien is NEVER gourmand. It stays decadently golden and a bit soapy, but she has a definite attitude and a bite.

Even as a wearer of the OG of Mugler fragrances Angel, Alien Essence Absolue sometimes makes me feel a bit too meek to wear this at times. I see a powerful woman of high status wearing this, who is older than me... I am only a 20 year old college student, and I feel like this frag really kicks my ass to the curb with her dominance. By no means am I saying that it takes an older woman to wear this, but I think it takes a woman who's got her priorities straight and won't take shit from anyone to wear this. If Angel is the ultimate femme fatale dressed in dreamy blues like in the ads, then Alien Essence Absolue is the ultimate temptress, a succubus in the slickest YSL pantsuit and iconic 7-inch stiletto heels (though in retrospect after writing this, I basically just perfectly described Thierry Mugler's fashion at his peak in the '90s!). If anyone remembers the now discontinued YSL Elle perfume with the model Coco Rocha as the face of it, THIS is what it should have smelt like based on the advertisement and concept.

on 9/12/2014 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is triple awesomeness (if that is a word) - and this is coming from someone who does not care much for the original Alien. Why Triple? Firstly, this is a beautiful creamy concoction of jasmine, amber and vanilla on me, and particularly so in cooler temperatures, secondly, this has wonderful staying power and this is important because I especially like the drydown of Alien Essence Absolue. Thirdly, I love the packaging, it looks like a jewel with its drop shaped molded glass and gold spray top and I love that it is refillable. I have always been a fan of Thierry Mugler's fragrance bottles but did not feel I could pull off Angel. I am on my second bottle of this, and it will remain a staple. Comes in 1 and 2 oz spray bottles, and a 2 oz Refill.

on 4/30/2014 6:10:00 PM

Chalk me up with the rest of the enthusiasts of this lovely scent. I like Alien, so I love this sweeter version of it. This is my kind of scent. Not for everybody, and that is its best recommendation, IMO. I won't describe it since others have already done that very well. On me, this is definitely honey (which I love to wear as much as I like to eat). It reminds me a bit of Serge Luten's Miel de Bois, but this one is more complex, a bit greener. In short, a beautiful, elegant, grown-up scent. And BTW, for those who can't tell the difference, grown-up is NOT the same as 'old.'

on 9/23/2014 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This is my guilty pleasure perfume. I like the smoky vanilla and wear it just for me. Sometimes, I get a Hypnotic Poison vibe and like this, too. What keeps this from being a 5 is the medicinal smell I get in the beginning. Overall, this is a wonderful scent and I am glad I splurged to buy it.

A lot of people that absolutely hate at the original Alien LOVE this flanker . I personally love the original. But it is more 'in your face' than this one . Alien is the gorgeous & confident social butterfly older sister , and Essence Absolue is the shy , yet sweet and beautiful little sister. It smells so much like the original Alien when it's first sprayed , but it dries down so amazingly into a lovely vanilla suede cashmerean , softer scent . The solar accord element that is utilized in the Alien line of fragrances is very apparent . I had no idea what the hell solar accord was until I researched it . It seems to be the same ingredient that's used in sunscreens . But imagine the best smelling sunscreen ever .. I think the solar accord is used because it evokes some of your best memories . Whenever your mom or dad put sunscreen on you as a child , you were going to do something fun ... Most likely . The sunshine increases Vitamin D and subsequently , dopamine , in the brain . The feel good hormone. The hormone of wellbeing . And still as an adult , we put on sunscreen usually when we are going out to the beach or the lake .. Or just gardening . It's a brilliant concept . The solar scent is stronger in the original Alien rather than this scent . I sprayed this an hour ago... And it's still drying down and changing . Imagine Alien wrapped up in a 100% cashmere blanket . It really is gorgeous !!! It's strong .. But not overpowering . Some perfumes I can spray all over myself , like 7 sprays and it's still not too strong ... But two sprays of this will last all day long . I would compare it to the strength of a Chanel Coco perfume . But honestly , if you don't like Alien at ALL ... I just don't see how you'd like this one . But if you love Alien or just like Alien ... Go buy this !!!!!!!

Popular Fragrances