Essie Bobbing for Baubles

4.5

on 1/21/2016 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I usually look terrible with blue polish but this one is so flattering on my neutral NC20 skin tone. It's a very dark navy with a slight grey tone to it. Dark but not too dark. Lasts a few days without chipping. Can be streaky on the first coat but I 2 coats are sufficient enough for opaque coverage.

on 9/22/2015 12:05:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am rather late to this polish but I don't usually love blue polishes on me - though I love to hoard the bottles! It is turning to fall here, and I thought I would, after hanging on to this bottle for the last 2 years and not giving it any love, give it a try. Well, Bobbing for Baubles just made itself a spot on my autumn/winter playlist.

Bobbing for Baubles is a beautiful, rich, dark, dusty navy creme. Essie describes it as "a deepest darkest sapphire" but as a lover of sapphires, I would say it is more dusty/grayed out than that. In some lights it actually looks more dark gray than blue. My nails are very short nubbins right now due to some nail malfunctions but this actually turns them into looking chic, rather than sad. I am also very fair-skinned, and yet this polish does not look "too dark" or wash me out at all. Also, Bobbing for Baubles looks stunning with my gold jewellery. It would be beautiful with some gold metallic polish for those who like to do accent nails or nail art.

Formula is excellent. Out of habit, I use 2 coats, but I think you could get away with 1, though the colour might be a little less rich.

To Read all 30 Reviews, Login or Join

Pretty color...kind of a really dark blue with a hint if grey. Great for fall/ winter. Glides on pretty smooth and wears well. Nice change rather that super vampy dark. Not my top favorite but its a keeper I tend to like dark grey more that blue so I will stick to cashmere bathrobe which is a bit lighter and leans more grey.

I had been lemming this polish from the moment I had spotted it on pinterest. My friend and I had been stalking our local stores for when it would come into stock. However, just how when you're lemming a certain lipstick shade and you can find every other solitary color ever made by that brand but the one you want, I had no luck. Then I went to a local nail supply and was pawing through some on sale essie colors. It was like the sky had opened and the light had guided me directly to this polish. I was SO excited.

It was a perfect color for fall, and I for the life of me could not find any color by any other brand that was this shade. I would call it a dark - grey/blue. This color goes perfectly with my NW 20-25 skin. It doesn't look dirty or washed out, simply the perfect fall neutral color. Sadly the formula went on like absolute crap for me. It was streaky and I had trouble covering certain parts of my nail. The brush had a mind of its own! I own a ton of Essie polishes, and the formula normally isn't the greatest but this was far subpar. I wrapped my tips, and did two coats with a Seche topcoat. Nail are already chipping 12 hours later.

Until I can find another polish that is anywhere near this shade, I will stick with it. But as soon as I do I will gladly get rid of this polish.

on 10/11/2013 8:51:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I'm a hard-core OPI fan, but Essie has been winning me over lately. The price of the polish is not cheap at $8 a bottle, but usually I can find deals and use coupons at Ulta. I love the bottle shape. Bobbing for baubles is a chic and sophisticated very, very dark navy with just a hint of grey and no purple undertones; it looks much darker on nails than in the bottle. It's a creme with no shimmer or glitter. Application is really smooth with no streaks at all~almost a one coater but I used two to make sure coverage was totally even, and dry time is fast. Gorgeous!!!

on 9/24/2013 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a very modern and wearable neutral steel blue navy shade - not quite black and not as harsh as black but still definitely grey blue. A very weird shade but quite flattering on my warm yet super pale complexion this may clash with a rosy undertoned complexion and you may fare better with a brighter more true blue like Revlon's Royal for example which is gorgeous but looked terrible on my colouring.

on 7/24/2013 5:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I had been craving a real almost black navy for my toes, but passed up on this shade because it does not look really dark in the bottle. Then, at my manicurist's, another client had it on her toes. It's exactly what I was looking for. On my very fair skin, it looks almost black. The coverage is very creamy, thicker than most Essie polishes. I only wear dark on my toes, so I can't comment on how well it will last on hands. IMO, this is a great summer toes shade. While everyone else is wearing pastels and corals and turquoise, I feel it gives me a sophisticated look.

on 5/9/2013 3:18:00 AM

Let me start off by saying I am NOT a blue person at ALL, but this is my one exception. I wore it on my toes the other day with gold sandals, and I couldn't stop staring at how amazing the contrast was. The rich navy color is sophisticated, and classic. It is the only way to wear blue without looking like Ke$ha, unless that is the look you are going for. I would even go so far as to say it could be worn in a professional environment. I love how expensive it looks too. Just in love, and I can't wait to see what other metallics I can pair it with.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I've been looking for a non shimmery navy nail polish for ages and this is it! I just had to get it when I saw it. This is one of my first Essie nail polishes and it applied like a dream. I only had to do one thickish coat and that was it! I was so surprised - I am in love already :) I had been considering other similar shades by opi etc but this is fantastic. I got it for AUD$6 because its from an older range so it was discounted so it was pretty reasonable. I've fallen in love with dark colours (not your typical blacks) ever since using OPI Lincoln park after dark and honk if you love OPI, and this is such a great classy colour to add to my collection. So so happy!

on 2/10/2013 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This polish is a hard to describe color - but here goes: a smokey dark indigo that leans more navy. It is also one of those polishes that slightly changes depending on the light. A perfect color for the colder months. Very nicely pigmented and goes on relatively easily - only needs one thick coat at most. A definite re-buy!

Popular Polishes