Lancome Magie Noire

Lancome Magie Noire

3.5

on 1/3/2017 9:35:00 AM

This review is for the product sold now and NOT the vintage scent (AKA when real ingredients were used instead of synthetics). I started wearing this scent in 1980 and loved it...along with the ORIGINAL Poison, Opium and Tuxedo by Ralph Lauren. Sadly, what you purchase now is nothing like the originals; this scent included. If you wore it then and are thinking about buying it now, don't bother as the scent is different and not in a good way. The warmth, the spice, the darkness is gone and replaced by that chemical scent found in the bulk of fragrances available now. It doesn't last, it has that bug spray scent as a base when first sprayed and the dry down is bitter instead of warm. For those who didn't experience the original, you won't understand how amazing this scent (and so many others from back then) was; the rest of us? Just say no to Magie Noire.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

A majestic vintage power house.

This perfume reads, to me, not so much dark, as it does sinister. To me, darkness needs more sumptuousness, more haze, more smoke. Like Jo Malone's smoky Velvet Rose & Oud, practically anything from By Kilian that I've sampled or Andy Tauer of Tauerville's Vanilla flash.

What this perfume lacks in richness and maybe sweet decadence to make it "black" to me, it makes up for in spiny, spindley spookiness in an acrid green, foresty combination that is earthy and cold at once. Powdered traces of crushed dirt-covered leaves and petals fall to the ground as a thick cool breeze, brushes in to also bring with it a whiff of sour (not at all sweet or even fruity) puckery red berries).

For the floral component, it lies very much up top but subtle in the sense of you cannot distinguish one flower from another. Because I am such a fan of dark rose fragrances, I do occasionally get whiffs of what I presume to be the Bulgarian rose, which from previous experience, I find to be a rich rose, but one that is sourer and more wine-like than the sweet, voluptuous Turkish Rose (found in Velvet Rose & Oud for example) and not powdery fresh like a may rose or a standard rose note), but the other florals are just in a delicious musky subtle mush- not an attractive word, but it is beautiful to smell and that is how it plays on my skin.

Spices and woods take a moment to develop here, and, again, are not very distinctive, but what they manage to create, I think, is an element of rough texture to the fragrance, like a knotty bark of old trees. This, as others have suggested is a very foresty fragrance and immediately evokes that imagery. You get the whole picture of the journey through the woods here, not stopping or starting at any one specific plant or feature of the woods.

I will have to play with it more to get a full scope on lastingpower, throw, and how much this fragrance pushes out, but I would say that this is one that one should be careful with and light on the trigger, The denseness of this singular playing but densely populated composition, seems like it would hit heavy, But it envelops you in a beautiful and mysterious scene. You get to be yoru own sorceress when you wear this.

To me this is much more fantasy than vintage. More "Mists of Avalon" than Marilyn or Audrey-esque ( I love both of those women and especially Audrey- and one would do well evoking either of them or any of the film and beauty icons of those eras), but this is even of an even more distant history than these. This truly reminds me of witches in the woods. What the name implies I certainly fall to the power of suggestion, and I love playing this role every time I wear this.

Halloween fragrance sorted by the way :)

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Iconoclast? Maybe this fragrance is for you. I suppose I must be in that group also. I adore Magie Noire. But then I am also a fan of fragrances like Emeraude by Coty and also of Tabu by Dana.

Oh, sure, I love florals. And Magie Noire is not a floral. Yet it has an intriguing scent, in what I think is a very GOOD way. I'm frankly baffled that so many so strongly dislike it, and that the terms used are so very subjective.

If you are comfortable being an intriguing woman, a woman of some mystery, I suggest trying Magie Noire. At the least, take a sniff and decide for yourself!

on 1/22/2015 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Magie Noire is difficult to talk about for several reasons:

1) It's so weird that you're unsure if it's actually supposed to smell like that or if your sample has gone off.

2) There's a good chance that it has gone off, because it's not a fragrance that seems to preserve well.

3) It was reformulated so many times even before the real heavy-hitting IFRA restrictions of the 00s that each iteration of it smells wildly different.

That said, I've owned roughly seven different bottles of Magie Noire over the years from many different eras, so I feel like I have a pretty good handle on it. The really good stuff, that preserves the best and smells the most expensive, comes in the original orange and black bottle. It is a mind-blowing trip and should be smelled in 3-D under the influence of marijuana for maximum effect. It smells evil, and it's not just the marketing. It is disturbingly vegetal in the way that Yatagan is, but draped in feminine opulence-- stewing vegetables in an evening gown. Every real animalic in the book is present in large quantities, creating a rude honeyed dog foot effect. There is an addictive industrial gasoline cast to it all, like something it's unhealthy for you to be smelling.

Magie Noire wasn't considered that glamorous or highbrow a fragrance in its day, which seems unbelievable to us now. It was common for suburban mothers to smell like this (what I'd give to go back and inhale that air...). It was sort of a knock-off less expensive Opium that places the resins and spices and musty mystery of that fragrance on the framework of the more prevalent sour green chypres of the 70s. It borrowed Opium's image of oriental languor and added to it a satanic angle, with dark, ghoulish, wonderful advertisements and a package design that incorporated foreboding hieroglyphs. Considering the recent ubiquitous popularity of putting satanic imagery and goats and pentagrams on everything, even clothing for unremarkable hipster good girls, Lancome was ahead.

The subsequent formulation with the black plastic mushroom cap is still excellent but seems slimmed down and cheapened. It is more peppery and conventionally woody, but still disturbing in its vegetable sourness. There is also a weird formulation packaged in a black plastic flask; do not buy this. Because of the cheap packaging, none of them have kept and they have all gone completely off. You will see reports of this anywhere there is talk of vintage Magie Noire.

After this it was briefly discontinued and brought back in a still-interesting version in a clear bottle that smells not unpleasantly like a drugstore knock-off. It's all sneezy black pepper and sour rose and, like everything else from the 80s that's still in production, doesn't have base notes to speak of. This version is still easy to come by and gives you a hint of what the real stuff was like, and it can be appreciated as a sort of "If you like Magie Noire, you'll love Sexy Magic" body spray.

As with Aromatics, I once thought Magie Noire was my signature scent. I spent untold dollars amassing vintage bottles of it on eBay to wear for the rest of my life. I quit wearing it cause I smelled like a lunatic. It makes an exciting appearance in Working Girl, the perfume-lover's dream movie. Melanie Griffith is sitting at Sigourney Weaver's vanity and applies extrait from the black and orange bottle.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Magie Noire was never a top fragrance choice for me. Through the years, it has become a cult classic, so I decided to revisit it and purchased a vintage bottle. I've worn it in two seasons before I've written this review, so I can feel I am accurately assessing my thoughts.
Back when it was first released, I wasn't a huge fan of this or any of Lancome's perfumes. But with all of the accolades surrounding it, I decided to give it a go again to see what the hoopla is all about.
It's definitely a cooler weather perfume. Wearing it above 55 degrees is nauseating. I've discovered that is one of it's flaws and perhaps why some absolutely abhor it. The temperature outside (or inside) must be cool enough for this perfume to work properly. This is a very strange potion.
Its aroma wafts and wanes around you, circling its fumes in layers of clouds that hypnotize and entice and mesmerize. How do perfumes create such images? Some scents hit head-on with no looking back, some sit in a corner of room expectantly, hoping for attention, and others are classics that need no introduction because they are simply elegant members of a family. But Magie Noire swirls around, dances and sings, appears light and floral one moment then impacts hard and deep as a chypre floral that's just very complex. This is not a try it once to decide if you like it perfume. It changes with the seasons, your moods and the climate. It's been called a witch's brew and the moniker fits it well. Although there are many that wear this only a few can truly pull it off successfully. It's must be worn with an attitude, from the base of your soul , with determination. Heavy on spices and woods, burning with incense and myrhh, musky with patchouli and wrapped in a tight package with a civets tail, this might or might not be for you. It is a Seductress perfume, an Enchantress' fragrance, it will bewitch those around you if you are the Femme Fatale wearing it.
Certainly not an everyday perfume, and definitely not an office fragrance, Magie Noire is wonderful for an evening soiree or a tete-a-tete supper. This is a strong perfume to use on your pulse points and let the heat of your skin bring it to its fire,
Rita Hayworth, Sophia Loren, and Bridgette Bardot could all wear this perfume easily.
Radiates strongly if you're not careful and lasts for hours and hours.
Top Notes: Cassis, Cassia, Raspberry, Galbanum, Hiacynth, Bergamot, Bulgarian Rose.
Middle Notes: Honey, Tuberose, Orris Root, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Cedar, Narcissus.
Base Notes: Spices, Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Civet, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Myrhh, Incense.

on 11/5/2012 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

No, no, no, at least to the modern version of it! Having read some raving reviews about this classic, I ventured out to the loal drugstore with a well-composed perfume section and took a hopeful sniff - instantly regretting it. Sprayed it on to give it a second chance - and rued the day. I had actually never come by a revolting perfume before - some could be nice, some blah, some too alcohol-ey, but this is just nausea in a bottle: burnt chocolate and plastic - 2 main ingredients that lurk in that cocktail waiting for another fool like me to approach the counter in search of an "oldie. but goodie". I will NEVER even think about trying again unless someone will give me an authentic vintage to sample ( perhaps it is just the reformulation that sends me bowing over the porcelan friend! )

on 10/29/2012 10:38:00 AM

Oh Magie Noire what have they done to you? Every bit of gorgeous, sexy smokiness has gone - cheapened to the point of extinction. There is a trace of the old magic like a wisp from Gandalf's wand then it poops out after 30 minutes. 'Fly you fools!' before it disappears into the abyss forever. A minute of silence for the old Magie Noire please.

on 10/10/2012 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I just purchased Magic Noire from Lancome, and it came today. All I can say is, boy did it take me back. This new version is lighter, but still packs a punch. Since I just got it, I'm not sure how long it will last on me. I will do an update review. For now, I will just bask in the lovely fragrance. The bottle is pretty, but i do miss the black top bottle that was on the original fragrance.

on 12/28/2011 7:02:00 PM

Magie Noire is discontinued!!!
I will not buy any other products from Lancome - ever!
Their line management are complete losers.

My Mum used to wear this in the 90s. I got a sample the other day, and they've changed the smell beyond recognition.

This smells like either an ancient man or an animal fell asleep in my bed and covered my sheets in rank sweat.

Popular Fragrances