3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 months ago

I bought this as a blind buy after listening to Emmy Ever After review it on Youtube. At first I really didn't like it. I've never liked vintage classic smelling perfumes in my teenage years.I've used this here and there and surprisingly it grew on me so much that I've decided to make this my 'signature scent'. I'm in my mid 20's now. I loove it! I would describe this scent as lemons and makeup with a touch of sweetness like caramel.<3!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

2 years ago

I’m so late to the PI party and gosh I wish I would of found this sooner! I’ve always liked Shalimar but feel the Vintage is best but that’s pricey and the leather note I’m having a hard time liking. So when I got this and tried it I was like wow this is the one for me. It’s totally wearable on the daily. It lasts forever on my skin and the sillage is moderate. But I just love this I think because I enjoy white musk, musk, anything, musk and citrus that appealed to me. Love the bergamot in this. Plus the florals,Tonka,vetiver, Vanilla, and caramel tied with a very nice patchouli bow. I was and am in total love with it. So I bought a bottle on eBay and I will buy one more large bottle as the price is going up. And now people seem to love it whereas before the reviews were not so stellar. Whatever the change I personally adore this version. I also love the pink juice I don’t get the dislike on that but to each his/her own. Also the bottle is gorgeous! So sad this is d/c’d and with people realizing it, it is getting much more expensive. So if you love this like me stock up.

About reviewer (912 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

from

4 years ago

What I find interesting about Shalimar Parfum Initial is that it sits happily at the crossroads between classics and fruitchoulis. If Shalimar is an untamed tiger Parfum Initial is a kitten with bow which doesn't mean that it's not adorable on its own, just a different kind of animal. The candied bergamot/licorice opening is especially fleeting and then comes my favourite part; a gorgeous waxy lipsticky iris which is warm and almost caramelized/chewy. At times I do get the fruitchouli vibe which is supposed to attract the Flowerbomb loving audience but it's still one of the most elegant of the kind. Things get borderline boring as the iris waves goodbye and dries down to a creamy base which relies heavily on musk, vanilla and tonka bean. Fortunately the Guerlinade peeks through and saves the day. Overall I'm pleased to have a bottle of Parfum Initial; it's a well made fragrance, the transparent glass bottle with the fleshy/blush liquid and the blue tassel are brilliant but ultimately I can't say it's a masterpiece. As I perceive it would be perfect for a fun night out with the girls! Oh, and if you can also try the body lotion which has excellent texture and is very faithful to the actual sent.

About reviewer (944 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Curly, Medium

4 years ago

I didn't purchase this, it was an early christmas present, but I've seen it in my local chemist at a very reasonable price. Even though it is discontinued, I have a feeling you'll be able to buy it with ease for a couple of years. This is gourmand for grown ups. Shalimar plus Prada Candy = Shalimar Parfum Initial. Basically Guerlain have taken the original Shalimar, stripped it of leather and incense, swapped the original musk for white musk, and added gourmand notes in the form of caramel. It's absolutely gorgeous, very smooth, rich, well blended, and in many ways more easier to wear than the original Shalimar. It's also suprisingly inexpensive in comparison to the original Shalimar. Sillage is soft/moderate. Longevity on me is only around 4 hours. I would suggest this fragrance for people who love gourmands but don't want to smell like a teenager, for those who find the original Shalimar too heavy to wear, or for those who love the original Shalimar but find it too heavy to wear as an every day fragrance. Shalimar Parfum Initial is definitely one you can get away with during the day. I have ticked that I will not repurchase because I love the original Shalimar and don't find it too heavy. Much as I find this version to be gorgeous, I don't really need it in my life and I have enough perfumes to last a lifetime as it is.

About reviewer (816 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

5 years ago

I received this fragrance by accident and I'm so glad I did for it's just lovely. I purchased what I thought was the original edp from an ebay seller and received this instead. This is caramel/vanilla goodness that I can't seem to get enough of and you would know that it has been discontinued...boo!! My luck... It's not the original Shalimar at all and is much more wearable. I ended up getting the original and was shocked at how masculine it smelled, at least to my nose because of all the leather which seems to be prominent on my skin. I like it but it's not love like parfum initial is. PI is my perfect Shalimar and I'm going to start getting a few extra bottles for it's perfection to me.

About reviewer (363 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

5 years ago

My heart is breaking learning that this scent is being discontinued! It was a version of Shalimar I could wear comfortably. I love the vanilla and tonka bean in it, and it just exudes sexiness. I think if Guerlain had launched this as a scent seperate from Shalimar, it would have done well. It really isn't like classic Shalimar that much to be honest. It's so sad it will be discontinued soon :( Stock up..

About reviewer (470 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

EyesBlue

6 years ago

I really enjoy wearing this when I want a cold-weather scent that's warm and comforting without screaming "vanilla!" A touch of sweetness and brightness but never straying into "baked goods," it's like a nice sweater in pale pink. One spray on your neck and you'll be smelling it all day, but it's definitely softer than Shalimar.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

6 years ago

I adore this. I know people keep comparing this to Shalimar, but please judge this perfume on its own terms. I respect the original, it is well made and carries a lot of history but it is a harder fragrance for younger women to wear. I don't think it is a bad thing that they made a younger and modern version, if it gets the younger generation to discover the original, surely it isn't a bad thing? I'm not really good at describing notes and how fragrances change but I do detect patchouli, iris, vanilla, tonka and a little bit of bergamot and musk. When I first spray it on myself it smells almost smoky and earthy with a tiny bit of citrus and as the day goes on it becomes sweeter and the patchouli comes out a bit more. I like that the vanilla isn't overwhelming and doesn't smell like a cupcake. I have never smelled a fragrance quite like this before, I find it pretty unique. It lasts about 8 hours on me, which I find really good. I also find the sillage to be pretty good, but I don't like screaming fragrances that can potentially give others around you a headache. I just really love this and I think it may become my signature! Everyone who has smelled it on me says that it is 'very me'. Never heard that before! I think the bottle looks gorgeous and I liked that the 100ml size of this is actually a really reasonable price compared to many fragrances on the market today. I really love this! Of course, perfume is such a personal thing and it reacts with your skin chemistry so there are bound to be people who hate it. I think even if you don't like it, it isn't fair to call it a disgrace to Guerlain. Times change and while I love sniffing many of the older Guerlain fragrances from the bottle, I know it would smell ridiculous on me. The people like me need some Guerlain to wear too!

About reviewer (169 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Coarse

6 years ago

Some of the most beloved fragrances in my collection began with triggering mild disdain. I love it when a fragrance gets a grip on me and changes my mind. The first time I tried this odd beauty I detected the medicinal, powdery note you get from the inside of First Aid cupboards. A note that can't fail to be nostalgic for anyone who has cut their knee, but not something a sensual young woman necessarily wants to douse herself with. It's the iris and bergamot that come together to produce this lightly gluey note, and it's still there now I'm on my second bottle. The treatment of the iris and bergamot in this scent are indeed very modern. They are aloof, clean, solar smells, and cut through an icing sugar base with distinct style. What has changed for me is my perception of this mirage. Now, I find the illusion to be stirring, feminine and brave. I love it when a fragrance manages to be abstract in addition to sweet and long-lasting. The treatment of Shalimar original in this scent is masterful. I've worn Shalimar in the eau de parfum, cologne and 'Light' versions, and you can see thread from those to Parfum Initial. Surprisingly, Parfum Initial isn't less than these, but other. I love it.

About reviewer (660 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Kinky, Medium

EyesBlue

1.0

6 years ago

Nope. Smells like baby powder mixed with memories of no-nonsense church services in the 1970s... albeit the nicely-dressed middle-aged ladies back in the 1970s in the surrounding pews. Kind of chokes me and puts me on edge instead of putting me in a happy place. Funny how fragrance is so associated with mood and memory.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure