4.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

12 years ago

Bal a Versailles was one of my first introductions on vintage perfumery and it was an absolute success.Now i'm on my third fb and i can't think my fragrance wardrobe without it.I absolutely love it and everytime i wear it people notice.To my nose is extremely modern so i don't want to hear anything about old ladies and the lot...The perfume starts with a very feminine heady honeyed flower mimosa like note from farnesiana and strangely enough i don't smell jasmine or the bubblegum thing that other reviewers mentioned.I don't care though i like the scent as it is.Then it becomes woodier and the sweetnes leads you in a powdery sexy resinous and animalic drydown that in my nose ambergris reigns,although this is the trademark chivet perfume.just fabulous

About reviewer (317 reviews)

EyesGreen

3.0

12 years ago

(EDT) I get the bubblegum for the first 10 minutes or so. It gradually loses its 'brightness' and becomes softer and deeper and like another reviewer said, thick. That is a very good word to describe this. I think it's the incense. It does not stay sweet on my skin for long. I do get a resemblance to Shalimar, and even Obsession, somehow. Lasting power is standard for a decent EDT, this is staying pretty close to my skin. I like the round bottle and round label with the painting - I am guessing it portrays a young woman sneaking away from her companions (chaperones?) at a ball because her beau has sent her a posy and she is sneaking off while their backs are turned to rendez-vous with him, recklessly risking the utter ruination of her reputation. At least that's what I perceive. All the effectiveness of a full-page magazine ad condensed into a 2-inch circle. Very clever, and done prettily to boot. I don't like the clear plastic lyre-shaped cap though, it bugs me. Because it ends up as such a dark scent (to me, on me) I feel that it might suit me better when my hair returns to its normal dark brunette shade, and even then only for nighttime. I think I will be able to rock this scent then. Right now it is only a 3 for me. 'Sawright.

About reviewer (489 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesHazel

12 years ago

I first wore this in high school - I worked in a department store that sold it and given that I was, from almost the very beginning, most comfortable with Orientals, it was a given I would wind up stopping by to spray this one on, after the Shalimar, Ciara and Coco. I have no recollection of how I felt about it then ( except that I bought the body powder and had to return it because it smelled like it was on fire - what I now know was the incense note). Now, I love it and have no idea how I pulled it off as a skinny teenager with bad skin and braces. I assume I didn't. This is all incense on me, you may experiment with other incence scents that come out and advertise themselves that way, but you are not going to get authentic, rich, slightly unctuous incense anywhere but here. I think it is the cistus note - rounds out and weights the scent down like a golden apple. Or maybe that is the mousse de chine. Notes are not my specialty. Not powdery, not sour, it is slightly sweet, thick and elegant. It has the ability to smell good pretty much all the time under any circumstances (ball gown or khaki shorts) I don' t save it for any particular time - I like it when I want to feel pampered, serene , feminine and protected (which is to say, at all times).

About reviewer (75 reviews)

Age36-43

13 years ago

Oh boy!!! what a complex fragrance, it's citrusy, woody, chipre floral and incensy all at the same time. deep and intoxicating I just cant stop sniffing it.

About reviewer (139 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

13 years ago

I just purchase a small bottle of Bal a Versailles at Perfumania - for $9.99. It's just eau de cologne but it was a nice price for something I wanted to "try".....and I am loving it. I am not very sophisticated about scents - don't know about notes, etc....I just know that this is a very soft, sensual, romantic scent and I will definitely purchase it again. It puts me in mind of the scents from when I was younger like Arpege and Chantilly - very feminine and alluring. The trend now seems to be scents that are fresh and light, which I know alot of women prefer - but I like the ones that are warm and enticing. Bal a Versailles makes me feel womanly, and I like that.

About reviewer (16 reviews)

Age44-55

HairBlond

13 years ago

Many years ago my dad bought my mom this fragrance when they were engaged. At that time Bal à Versailles was a very luxury and hard to find product. Unfortunately, my mum fell in love w/it but she wasn't able to find Bal à Versailles anymore. Back to nowadays, some weeks ago, I was browsing on fragrancenet.com and *oh my big gulp* I saw and bought this fragrance instantly. So elegant and modern at once, I can honestly say Bal à Versailles is one of the most unique fragrances I've ever tried. Best at night, I do love this timeless, woody and spicy feminine scent, definitely much more than I had expected.

About reviewer (201 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Other, Other

2.0

14 years ago

yuck. first impression - urine. drydown - baby powder. i wanted to love this old school scent, but really didn't.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinDry

HairBrown

3.0

15 years ago

This is nice, but it's not for me. Very classic 60s fragrance - has that character to it. Too heavy for me, but nice on drydown for someone who likes a headier, Oriental and floral scent. Pretty heavy for day, IMO. You know, For some reason, this reminds me just a little of Boucheron, but Boucheron is lighter, more updated. For this type of scent, I'd prefer Boucheron, but that's just me. It is a nice scent for those who like this type of scent.

About reviewer (183 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair

HairOther

15 years ago

Beautiful floral bouquet with a subtle leathery note and general powdery warmth about it that I find very agreeable. I must concur with one of the previous reviews about the Body Lotion being superior to the EDT - incomprehensible but true... possibly it's the "bubble gum" element in the top notes that bothers me slightly, because of the faintly plasticky tinge. (Please see GlamDiva's review). I don't detect it at all in the body lotion, and it would stand to reason that the parfum won't have it, either. Still, the EDT dries down very well. I have it on good authority that this scent must be sampled in parfum form to do it justice, so I would have to update you on this when I've had a chance to try it. However, even as it is, I adore wearing my EDT or lotion when the weather cools down a bit at the end of the day, on a warm summer evening.

About reviewer (54 reviews)

Age

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

15 years ago

This is so weird! Since I was a little girl I have been sniffing my moms perfumes. This perfume, standing in a huge round pottle with some elite women on it, was always my favorite. I sniffed it when I was 5.. I sniffed it when I was 7.. and now, 18 years old, I am still sniffing it. That same old bottle, with still the same amount of perfume in it (just a tiny bit, maybe left for one application, or just to sniff it). Just about an hour ago I decided to sniff it again. And I thought about this bottle. It was so unique and I have never ever seen this at a store. Then I realized. Makupalley! Now I'm here, reviewing this. I can't really tell what it smells like anymore, since it's quite rotten. I remember it smelled great. A mommy smell :)

About reviewer (57 reviews)

AgeUnder 18