MAC Prep + Prime Highlighter Pen (Radiant Rose)

Filtered by age: 36-43

4.3

Wow look at the reviews on this eh? And here I am to add my own praise... But on reflection I'm going to tick the 'No' I wouldn't repurchase.

I had hesitated to purchase this, I always guiltily put it back on the shelf thinking it was nice but overpriced. I still think of MAC as very mid range and utilitarian and I felt £20 for a tiny amount of product was too indulgent. But the other day my local department store had a "gala" event and everything in store was 20% off. I decided it was a good time to get this (for £16.) It is as good as I'd hoped it would be! It gives an angelic luminescence and it may sound conceited - but when I wear this I look like a heavenly angel. (lol) As such I like to wear this on no-makeup makeup days. I like people to think, "wow she has such a natural angelic glow to her skin, if I had that skin and that heavenly radiance, I'd never wear makeup!!!"

It's a thin, watery but pigmented pale pink and it melts into the skin so well that it actually does seem like you're not wearing makeup. It lifts and brightens and indeed, highlights. It's not a wet-look highlighter (don't get me wrong, I love those!) instead, it's a very innocent and heavenly pure light from within. It's very effective. But I do still think it may be overpriced. Plus I wouldn't agree with others who say you only need a tiny amount. I needed quite a lot and I am sure it won't last very long before it runs out. It does last all day, without creasing or fading, and the effect really is very pure and clean. Although talking of clean, I'm not that keen on brush products as I hate having to wash them all the time but I know otherwise they go horribly rancid, if Touche Eclat is anything to go by (shudder).

So that brings me onto - I already have YSL Touche eclat, Estée Lauder BB highlighter pen, Bare Escentuals stroke of light, Bobbi Brown tinted eye brightener - all these have the same concept: a thin but pigmented liquid that reflects light. I also have tried many other brush concealers like the Guerlain or Clinique versions (both these much more concealer than highlighter) and the maybelline various incarnations of dream lumi, FIt Me, and eraser brightener. All of which I disliked and found hard to blend or invisible or both. Apparently there is a version of the eraser brightener which is better but I tried 2 shades and one was a horrible unnatural pale pink and one was far too yellow. I am going to have to do a thorough analysis of which of the high end ones I just mentioned and including this MAC is best. I will look into £ to ml and also shade and wear time. It'll be a whole project in its own right. All these pens have a criminal amount in them and finish quickly. Off the top of my head the Bobbi brown tinted eye brightener and the Bare Escentuals stroke of luck both have around double the amount of this, 6ml and 5.5ml respectively, and at only a £ or 2 more - so the MAC will have to prove itself indispensable. I think Touche Eclat and the EL have about the same as MAC or a third less, they are around 2.5ml and MAC 3. So I do still think MAC is pricing itself too close to high end YSL, EL pricing for my liking. If it was always £15/16 I'd be more on board with it, or if it had closer to 6ml in the tube. As it is, it seems like a wonderful product and the high ratings can't be ignored. And yet my feeling is, that I'll enjoy this one, but I'll probably not rebuy. I just feel a bit resentful that it's priced too high, and there are so many similar products out there. I think my favourite is EL BB highlighter but they might be identical. Plus I'll always have a soft spot for the original which after all has been mercilessly copied: YSL Touche Eclat. And both those have sumptuous gold packaging which makes me feel special; the MAC doesn't look like a luxury product. Stroke of light may be less pigmented. I'll be swatching these and doing a wear test etc and I'll update...

Tldr: love the product, especially for an understated natural glow, but not sure it's worth the high price. Many other similar products on the market so time will tell if this is superior. For now I'm saying I wouldn't repurchase because I'm not convinced it's better than either Bobbi Brown tinted eye brightener or Bare Escentuals stroke of light, both of which have about double the amount for almost same price tag.

Just need a tiny drop and it does his job well. Great product!!!!!!

$25 for .12 oz knock off of YSL Touche Eclat ($41 for .1 oz)
There are many versions of the YSL out there now. I use radiant rose every single day. the product clicks up. Can sometimes get a little messy when you underestimate how much will ooze out, but given how amazingly long this pen lasts, it stays pretty neat if you're careful. The formula lends luminosity to the area applied in a very light way. Though I used to apply concealer in the same way (to naso-labial folds), this is lighter and blends really well. I haven't tried any drugstore versions and won't pay $41 for YSL. For me, this is the perfect choice. I have been holding my back up for 2 mos and still haven't had to bust it out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was so sure this was the perfect color for me, but it looked very ashy on me. I am NW20. This should have been perfection, but it always gave me this ashy look. No matter how little I used. Now given all the raves for this product, I still think maybe I was just doing something wrong. But bottom line is, I had to return because no matter how I used it, I wasn't enjoying it. I tried Light Boost too (sample) but it was off as well.

I'm obsessed and love a good highlighter that has peachy pink undertones as I use them as an under eye corrector. Originally I fell in love with the classic Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat No 1, but then found a budget friendly drugstore Maybelline's Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer in Radiant. When I heard MAC was adding their own version to the market, I had to try and went down to my local counter to purchase it. Radiant Rose works beautifully with my complexion, MAC NC15 or Matchmaster shade 1. The formula is creamy, silky, and blends easily into the skin. Sets without the need for powder and pairs beautifully with many of my fave concealers when used as an under eye corrector. Provides a good medium coverage for me and wears all day without fading, feeling or looking dry, and doesn't settle into those lovely fine lines and creases. Definitely brightens and illuminates without shimmer or glitter too.

Comparing MAC to Maybelline:
- Packaging - Both are packaged in a click style pen with an attached synthetic brush applicator. (I personally despise this packaging. I snip off the bristles with scissors for hygienic and comfort purposes and prefer using my own brushes or fingers for application/blending)
- Product amount - MAC 3.6ml/0.12 fl.oz with Maybelline 1.5ml/0.05fl.oz (and Yves Saint Laurent 2.5ml/0.1oz)
- Swatched side by side - MAC Radiant Rose is lighter and pinkier whereas Maybelline's Radiant is darker and more peachier.
- After - Maybelline when finished is tossed in the trash and MAC can be used towards their Back 2 MAC program

Personally I've converted and made the switch to MAC's Prep + Prime Highlighter Pen as it a wonderful product, great coverage, and meets my needs for an under eye corrector.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've had it for few weeks now and I love it! I've tried bunch of under eye concealers/highlighters and this is currently my favorite. The price point is good compared to YSL#1 and I prefer the finish and color of the Mac. I thought it will be similar to Maybelline Dream Lumi in Radiant but this performs so much better. Maybelline is peachy Mac is pinky-er. It also doesn't sink into my fine lines and the blendability and the finish is so much better. It's a great highlighter if you are somewhere between NC20-30.