Sally Hansen salon effects

Sally Hansen salon effects

3.5

on 5/2/2015 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought a pack of these on special for NZ$8 - full price was NZ$20. I got #240 Check It Out which is a black and white dogstooth pattern. My main reason I purchased these was to do statement/feature nails, so one on each hand, and that way they pack would last me a long time and be worth the price. The first time I used it was awesome. So so easy, instructions were easy. They lasted a good week and 2 different colour polishes on the other nails before starting to chip. However, I failed to see the tiny instruction on the other side of the box stating "Open, Unused strips should be discarded". Even if I had seen that I would have just guessed it was ones that you had peeled off the plastic strip. I tried to do my nails again today and they had all completely dried out at the back, no stickiness whatsoever, I was so confused I thought it may just be the sizes I had picked but no, the others I tried were the same. I have managed to push and pull them and they are sticking for now but I don't know how long these ones will work. Next time I will know to tape them up or something so the air doesn't dry them out, but I am not going to let it go to waste so I am going to try using foil glue and see if that will help the others stick. If it does, then $8 is a good price - if not, then $8 for 2 nails is a ridiculous waste!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am absolutely in love with this product. Each time I purchase it, I always am so happy with the way my nails come out. I don't purchase them frequently because they cost around $10ish, which is more than a basic manicure. But for when I don't have the time/patience to sit in a nail salon, these are so handy. I am absolutely horrendous at doing my nails. Even when I manage to not make it look as though I allowed my three year old niece to paint them, they are still visibly DIY and chip in less than a day no matter which fancy top coat/products I use. This product is very easy to use and my nails come out looking like a professional manicure every time. They are not stickers, it is actual nail polish somehow and it comes off with nail polish remover. The product claims to last about 10 days, but I find it lasts about 3 or so before the first chip occurs. However, I am also a registered nurse and wash my hands about 1000 times a day. I recently found the color "Glitz Blitz" which is basically just a gold glitter polish for .40 cents at Bed Bah & Beyond so I purchased about five of them just to have. It looks beautiful, a little holiday/NYE-ish which is probably why they were on sale. If you are challenged in the manicure department, please try this product and follow the instructions! You won't be disappointed!

These have become my absolute favorite "nail polish", they are all I've been wearing for the past 2 months or so.
My favorite is Bling it On, a very shimmery pink that sparkles in certain lights at night, but looks pretty natural and not overdone.
They are very easy to put on, you just pick the strips that you think best fit your nails, peel and apply. I wear my nails short-ish, so I can easily use one strip for the matching fingers on both hands. One word of caution: they do dry up, so you can't keep an open package too long because you won't be able to use the strips. I'm sure this can be fixed by taping the little packet with the remaining strips shut, but I'm too lazy to do this - my fault.

I can't successfully wear nail polish because the bad texture of my own nails shows through, you can see the ridges and discoloration (thank you Shellac!), so these strips are a godsend, because they hide the texture very well.

They last a really long time, my last install lasted me almost 2 weeks! I only had to remove them because of the growth at the base of the nail, otherwise they still looked pretty good. They do rub off a bit at the tips, but especially with this color, it's unnoticeable.

The price is high, the cheapest I've found is Walmart - almost $9 - but I heard some people find them at the Dollar store...I did find them there once at $2, but the design was ugly as they were made for Halloween lol.

I also have the Lace ? (I forgot the name) ones, they are cute too, but the strip of polish is thicker than Bling it on, and more fragile, it doesn't last more than 5 days on me.

I will try other designs too, because I truly like these.
I will keep buying these, I absolutely love them.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I got these Sally Hansen nail strips on sale for $2.50. They're usually in the $10 range so i've never used them before because I'm addicted to painting my nails. So being so cheap, i thought "why not"
I'm not sure what they were called but they were a shiny black with a few sparkles. I love black nail polish so I was really excited to use them.
I took off my polish, filed my nails, and then buffed them out a bit. I followed the instructions %100, and ended up only being able to use 5 of the strips. The rest of them were all stuck to the plastic piece that you're supposed to peel off, and it was impossible to peel it off of the plastic. I don't know if maybe my hands were too warm or what, but I only managed to do one hand and then I ran out of usable strips. I went back to the drugstore to get another box and they had none left of the kind I used. I am very disappointed. I also found it very hard to properly place them on my nails, I have very long nails so getting the strips to be even on both sides of my nails was extremely difficult. I can't see myself buying these again, even on sale. I'll stick to painting my nails.

on 7/2/2013 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I was stoked to try this product, but quickly found it would be a waste. It was difficult to cut the strips to fit my nails. I ended up tearing off the nail strip on some, so I had to carefully try to attach the remaining part to the nails. For the ones I managed to get it on in one piece, it was a challenge for me. Afterwards, it looked cheap and made my nails look huge (used the white one so that was probably why). It did not look smooth, and was totally noticeable as a sticker, not smooth and shiny polish. Furthermore, I hated this product because it chipped right away. So I tried to attach the excess pieces from the leftover nail strips to press it on. I recommend buying quick dry nail polish and adding a cheap top coat. At least when it chips then, you can swipe color over it.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

They're okay enough, I guess. What I really dislike about these is that they're hard to get flat against the nail if you have longer nails, like I do. It's very hard to get it not to wrinkle for me. I've only ever used the lace patterns, so the wrinkles don't show unless I'm looking for it, but considering that it is pretty expensive (I paid about nine bucks, for one use!) and it would definitely show up in a different pattern, I'm a little unhappy about it. I would buy them again though, this little kink just bothers me a lot.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Seriously dig these for my toenails. I'm totally incapable of painting my own toenails without messing up the polish before it dries, and with these I can do my own pedicures at home for 1/4th the price and with super cute designs!

I've used these a few times now, and have had great success with them - I've never gotten less than a week of flawless wear, and I don't even apply a topcoat. I always clean my nails well with nail polish remover beforehand to make sure there's no oils that would keep the strips from adhering properly, and I buff with the fine grit side of the file provided or with my own nail buffer. I also like to apply them at night, so they can set overnight before I have to put shoes on. I have even been able to use the extra strips to give myself a matching accent nail, on top of my pink and white gel nails.

Love these, and love that they release seasonal patterns!

on 4/10/2013 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you follow the instructions and use common sense, they DO stay on at LEAST 10 days - I've had them stay on for 2 weeks or more, and I'm a medical transcriptionist (typing 40 hours a week, plus my home Internet usage! I have used these FOUR different times (animal instinct, a pink and white camo pattern, and the pink glitter ones twice), and all four times they stayed on at LEAST for 2 weeks - my nails were growing out before they started to come off! You have to make sure you buff your nails first with the included buffer to give them a slightly un-smooth surface, make sure your fingers are not freezing cold, and stretch the strip ever so slightly before pressing them down. Then tamp them down with the included wooden stick. You can play with them too, like adding top coats with glitter, etc., and if you put them on crooked to where there's a blank spot, you can just use a remnant or a smaller one that you had leftover to fill in the spot, and it looks flawless! I intend on taking that idea and seeing if I can double-layer them for added oomph (such as with the glitter ones which are subtly translucent), or maybe putting the yellow on top of the blue halfway/making fat stripes? I bet you could cut out shapes and layer those, too, because they're so adhesive. Totally worth the price, which is anywhere from $6 to $10 for a set, and usually you can find them on sale places or find coupons, too. The holiday ones are adorable - currently searching for leftover St. Patrick's day ones, not sure if they exist, but since I love green so much... :)

I have just tested out a couple of sample strips from a magazine. The key to applying these is to make sure that your nails have no oil or dirt on them so go over your nails with nail polish remover. Then when you get the right position on your nails, gently press down and smooth over with an orange stick or the end of a makeup brush. If the sticker is having a hard time adhering to the nail use your other fingers to gently press and smooth over the sticker, especially at the tips!. The warmth from your fingers will help the sticker adhere. When you are sure the sticker is on your nail completely bend the sticker 90 degrees and file away!

It wasn't that hard to put the stickers on but i don't know how long they'll last. I can already see some areas lifting and maybe a top coat will fix that.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Salon Effects ohh how I love thee! There are the cutest colors and patterns and there seem to be new ones every week! I agree with the reviews that say these are not for perfectionists, as it is highly unlikely that the stickers will fit your exact size for every nail, so a sliver of your nails may show on either side, or the sticker may slightly cover your skin around the nails. Easy to apply and reasonably priced. The biggest con for me is that they do not lie as flat as polish does, so when I run my fingers through my hair some strands get caught under the sticker and break! Ugh!! I am trying to remember to use my finger tips only. But these are too much fun and I have bought many and will continue to do so!