L.A. Colors Professional Series Loose Powder

Price: $

MICA, TALC, SQUALANE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN. MAY CONTAIN: IRON OXIDES

on 4/10/2017 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this powder about 4 years it's a decent powder for the price. It doesn't cake, it goes on smooth, it doesn't have any illuminating properties but it has a matte look, to me it works good on my very oily skin, it's long lasting with a good setting spray. I'll continue to purchase this powder cuz it works good for me when i'm trying to cut back on my spending on makeup. It's not the best powder i've had or tried but i give it a 3.5 -3.7 which is pretty decent for a cheap powder u can buy for $2.50 at Dollar General or Family Dollar. To me 2 keys to make some cheap makeup last is to have a great primer and great setting spray. It really makes a difference. So i spend alot on my Primer and Setting Spray in which allows me to use cheaper long lasting drugstore makeup. It's a big money saver!!!!!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

... Before writing this review, I researched this product on the Internet, and came to the conclusion that they company may have updated the product without mentioning it on the packaging... some were saying that the color I bought (Light) was a dupe for Ben Nye's Banana powder; but the color of my powder, while still warm toned, leans more peach- and it's not that light either, it should have been called 'Medium' in my opinion. And others were mentioning that it is good for oil control, but mine lists 'squalane' is an ingredient which is basically a moisturizer, and in my personal opinion not the best for those with oily skin. Along that line, I have also noticed that websites that listed the ingredients for this powder were a few years old, and did not include squalane; which could be part of the reason people used to say it was good for oil control. Actually, reading that there was squalane in the ingredients influenced me to try this product (because of my very dry skin); many high-end products that I have used included it in their products to give a smoothness to the skin. One last note too, there is no mention of this being in a 'Professional Series' as the title of this page says. The reason I put my review here instead of starting another page was because my package looks identical to the one pictured here, and because I believe this is the only loose powder L.A. Colors makes; so I'm writing here for a comparison with other reviewers.
With all that out of the way, I must say that this is rather nice. It's natural looking, and looks smooth on the skin; it doesn't clump up, and I don't get that 'dirty' look around my mouth using this. And it actually does have some coverage to it. However, this is certainly a 'no frills' powder. It doesn't illuminate. It doesn't highlight. It has no special effects. It's just a powder. Ironically, my old self would have loved this. I used to be obsessed with making my face makeup look like my bare skin, but smoother. My blush had to look like I was naturally blushing. The lips had to be one step about natural with just a hint of color or sheen. But, my eyes I always liked bold. But nowadays, I prefer the whole nine yards- highlight\contour, rainbow highlighter, illuminating powder, bold red lips look. So, I am looking for something more in a powder, but anyone who likes a natural smooth look should try this. I probably will mostly use this for a daytime look, or on days that I know I won't have time to do my usual look.
Oh, and it only cost me $2 for this .70oz. tub. So, it's roughly on par with Airspun's price. [The math for that statement... lacolors- .70oz. Airspun- 2.3oz. You would need to purchase roughly 3.5 tubs of lacolors to equal 1 tub Airspun. So, if you bought 3.5 @ 2 dollars each, you'd pay $7- about the price of Airspun]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I got this from a local dollar store for $4 but I found it a big lot of waste. I chose the shade Medium but it seriously appeared to be Orange. The puff that came with it sucks, it didn't even work. I tried to use the powder instead as a color correcting powder for my purple discoloration under my eyes because I always feel really sad whenever I buy something not worth it so instead I tried to use it for another purpose...but it didn't really work.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I went into the Dollar General looking for a loose powder coz AirSpun is hard to find & this was a fraction of its price. I was looking for New York Color NYC loose powder & concealer stick stumbled upon this instead & I lurve me some LA Colors! Their stuff is high quality for the price & cruelty-free. I bought 2 of these, my face looks airbrushed it looks so good! I got Light glad I didn't buy Natural coz this a-plenty dark enough for my NC15-20 skin. I use an oversized velour powder puff I got from Kmart or a morphe brush to blend or stipple or w/e this in over my liquid fdtn. The reason I bought loose powder is coz even thou inconvenient, containers lasts longer n I go thru powder quick esp pressed powder so I decided on loose powder from a cheap store. I have to scrimp somewhere not evthing can be HE for me lol this is more than adequate yes I would rebuy I have 2 containers now so I'm set for a bit. Oh speaking of "set" def use elf setting spray w this! This is good for the oily ladies. Dollar store gems! I think I paid $2.50 ea. & AirSpun is $7! This frugal gal loves LA Colors!!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I happen to own this powder in the shades - Light (which is a much cheaper dupe for the Ben Nye Banana Powder), Medium Translucent, and Natural. Out of all 3 shades Natural happens to be the darkest. By no means do any of these powders appear orangey in the container or go on that way either. I have not experienced any problems with terrible oxidation, unlike so many other powders that I have tried. Even though I do own very expensive powders in my makeup collection, I absolutely couldn't resist from getting them. Even though, this powder seems to have been out for quite some time, based upon the reviews, the packaging on all of the LA Colors Loose Powders all have the word "New" on the packaging.

Now, when it comes to loose powders of course they are messy to use, but whenever you buy a loose powder such is to be normally expected. I do like that there is a sponge that does included, so that way you can choose to either apply this powder with the sponge or with a brush. I do think that this powder does provide a very natural finish. Also, in terms of oil control, I do think that it provides pretty good oil control, of course not as best as some of the powders thst I own, however, for the price that this powder costs, I really can't complain.

Overall, I definitely will continue to keep buying LA Colors Loose Powders, as I do feel that they are of really decent quality, and you definitely do get a lot of product, without having to spend a lot. Which makes this powder such a really good bargain!

ORANGE someone mentioned? YEP! I bought this in "light" and it isn't light, but a medium! I'm light and this goes on as if it were a bronzer! I LOVE the formula, as it really does great at covering and controlling my oily skin, but the YELLOW/ORANGENESS of this product is a bit TOO much! Even fake looking a bit! I almost laughed when I first saw it! I mean, I can pull it off, since I do like a sunkissed glow look, but this isn't meant for light skin! More for light-medium really! I posted a couple of pics, so have a look at it for yourselves! It applies evenly and smoothly, so it isn't a bad powder, just the shade needs some work! NO ONE can be that yellow/orange, can they??? Seriously, "light" comes off as a light gold powder!

Terrible, TERRIBLE product. Bargain hunting is great, but even if you're on a tight budget don't waste your time with this! I bought this for $2.50 because I ran out of my regular foundation and had to have something to tide me over until payday.
1. It comes out very orange in the medium color!
2. Dear lord the packaging is terrible. It spills EVERYWHERE every time you open it so you end up getting it all over your floor, counter, clothes, etc.
3. If you have acne-prone skin, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. This broke me out so horribly just after 3 hours in use. It was literally the WORST breakout I have ever experienced in my life, and I just now got over it nearly 6 months later.
4. Veeerrry little skin tone variety. It comes in light, medium, and dark, and that's it.

This was a very big disappointment. The only two good things are that there was a lot of product for such a small price, and it actually had great coverage despite the orangey color. Do yourself a big favor and skip this product!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I try this once.. it was very messy, verrry. I didn't mind the way it felt, it did make my skin feel a little oily. The colors are hard to match skin tones. Use a brush and lighty apply it, before you do make sure to take off the excess.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Cool

HAHAHAHA I paid a dollar for this, literally a dollar. I got exactly what I paid for, and I honestly didn't expect anything more out of it. I guess its not a total waste, I used some of it to refill a container of more expensive makeup to return to walmart....;)

on 12/28/2010 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is a very average loose powder, as indicated by the ingredients: Mica, Talc, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. It does it's job and I have found it does give good coverage without looking caked or chalky. The sponge applicator is crap - I recommend using a face brush with this. Surprisingly the cap dispenses the right amount of powder in just one tap. The shine control is pretty decent. Overall this is a decent buy for only around a dollar.

Some people may find the medium shade to be a bit orangey, though.