MAC Cosmetics Matte - Omega

4.6

MAC Omega is a matte, mushroom, greyish-beige (or "greige"). It is a perfect, neutral, mid-tone taupe without any obvious reddish/orangey undertones, but is not a blue-grey as it retains a hint of warmth. Note that it applies slightly darker than it appears in the pan.

Applied sheerly on fair to medium skin, this is the perfect medium taupe to shade the eyelids for a polished, daytime look (especially for work). However, like other MAC matte eyeshadows, it takes some work to blend into the skin and even swatch.

This is also the perfect colour (the perfect combination of grey and beige) to fill in my eyebrows. For reference, I am Asian, with fair-to-medium skin, and relatively sparse eyebrows. For comparison, Shu Uemura's Hard Formula in Seal Brown (a cult favourite for Asian eyebrows) is much darker. Depending on how it's applied, Seal Brown can appear to be too harsh and overly brown. I believe Shu Uemura's Hard Formula in Stone Gray is a better match for Asian eyebrows but since it was not available at my Shu counter, I'm unable to compare it.

Compared with Seal Brown, however, Omega is a much more flattering colour on me, and being a powder, it applies more softly. It is neither too dark nor too red/brown. Yet it has just enough warmth to avoid looking ashy. The result is natural-looking, believably full brows.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am NC20-30, Asian w/yellow undertones. I use Omega in the crease for a neutral crease color that adds depth to the eyes (no orange, red tones, mainly taupy-brown-beige; like my skin color but better). I use it with Ricepaper as the all over/brow highlight and Coquette in the outer V for a daytime neutral slight smokey eye.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

First off, I should point out that I've never used this product as an eye shadow. It is in no way to my tastes for that purpose. I use it as a contour powder and I adore it. I am extremely pale and have always had huge amounts of trouble finding contouring products that didn't make me look like there was dirt smeared on my face. I had basically given up on ever finding one when I saw a review by a beauty blogger (who was almost as pale as I am) saying that this was her HG contour product. I decided to give it a try and I am SO happy that I did! I apply this on top of my fountain using a MAC 168 brush and then swirl some translucent powder over the top. Hello cheekbones! It has really helped me add polish to my look while taking very little time. I would recommend trying it to anyone who has pale, cool-toned skin as a contouring powder.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am SO thrilled with Omega! For me this is the PERECT brow shade.I have dabbled with nearly every light taupe eyeshadow on the market to find the perfect brow color. Pencils are too stark and gels are heavy and fake looking. Powder is brilliant but finding the right color is nearly impossible if your brow color is transparent blond. For a while I used the Anastasia Brow Powder Duo. Beautiful product but the packaging is a bit difficult when you begin to hit pan. The whole thing crumbles. Everything about MAC's Omega is perfection.I bought the Pro Palette Pan and popped it in the Pro Palette Eye Shadow Duo along with Coquette for a brow palette. I am so happy! This is perfect for barely there brows. It's subtle and shades in with full yet realistic coverage. Fabulous!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The is a mighty fine light gray-brown eyeshadow. And silly me, I'd put off buying it for a long time since it looked sort of blah in real life and online. But I finally succumbed due to Mac's ever helpful free shipping offers-which frequently draw me in like a siren dooms sailors to the rocks- and it turns out to be a brilliant neutral crease color for my light, peachy redhead's skin. Oddly enough, it's a better mlbb crease color than my warmer light brown crease shades (soft brown, bamboo, kid) due to the cool tones contrasting against my skin better. And it's better for my nc20 skin than copperplate since omega is a much lighter, cool brown as opposed to copperplate's dark, almost true gray tone. And there's the extra bonus pleasure that Omega can be used as a brow shadow should I want slightly darker, more dramatic brows. Very nice, indeed.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

this is probably Wedge's older and darker sister.. it is a true neutral beige/grey/taupe shade and it has worked for me since 1993!

oh yes, I have hit pan on this ES many many times and will probably continue to do so... Many times I use it as a contour with Blanc Type on lids, and it defines the shape of my eyes. This is all I need on some days.

This is a near perfect color -- if you love matte neutrals, this is a must have.

Five years ago, the MAC sales associate recommended Omega on the lid and Saddle in the outer corner for my wedding. After wearing Omega daily for two years, I wanted to try something new. This time they recommended sable, which I love and wore for 2 more years. I still had Omega in my drawer and every time I looked at it I thought "That color looks so dirty and gross. How did I ever wear that?" Well....today after reading reviews and seeing so many comments for Omega, I decided to try it again. It is amazing! How did I ever put it away? I have cool-toned, fair skin and blue/gray eyes, and this color is perfect for my eyes. It is very natural looking. It's not gray, it's not brown, it's not taupe...I don't know what it is, but it's pretty much perfect. I will be wearing this regularly again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A must have neutral shadow! This lovely matte taupe goes great with all skintones. The formula is highly pigmented, yet soft, and not chalky. On lighter skintones it has many uses. You can use it to fill in your brows, or to contour your nose/cheek/jaw area. Being matte is great for older/drier skintypes, and for those who dont like a lot of the shimmery neutrals mac offers. Love this shadow, ive already been through 2 of them!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have no idea how I survived without this eyeshadow before I picked this gem up. It is my go to for everything! I am pale nw13, blonde hair and green eyes. I use this for brows, transition and light contour. If you are struggling to find a contour or brow product that doesn't pull warm or red, you seriously need this in your life. I was using anastasia brow wiz in taupe, but now that I've gone lighter with my hair, it did not match anymore. So I bought this 2 months ago and I've used it every single day since then, no exaggeration.
When I first bought this, it seemed dry, I would shudder feeling my brush drag on the pan- but I think that was the protective layer. Now that I'm thru that, it does not feel dry at all.
My go to look for the past month has been this in the crease, mac painterly paint pot (ssometimes I put a light matte pink shade over) and mascara. It just looks so fresh and natural. If I want a little more depth, I'll add a wedge over omega. Love love love.

Bottom line I absolutely love this shade and it is a must for pale folks struggling to find the perfect contour or transition shade. If you are blonde and cannot find a decent brow color without red undertones, you need this! I will definitely be re purchasing

This is one of those products I reach for everyday but don't even think about, I noticed today I have nearly run out and thought good ol' Omega deserved a review :)

It does look pretty boring at first glance, very light brown, looks sort of a dark beige applied very lightly and can also look slightly grey depending on what it's blended with or how much you put on.

I reach for this nearly every day, I use it on my eyebrows mixed with Charcoal Brown, I use it all over my lid for a quick easy neutral look, I use it with Blanc Type all over the lid and then Omega in the crease.
Omega with Blanc Type makes a really light lovely, I want to say a light smokey eye but it's not exactly smokey, just a really quick look that is easy and very flattering with a bit of brown eyeliner and/or mascara.

So I will definitely buy this again after realising how much I use it, very easy to use and a great staple for your bag out and about to do a quick bit of eyebrow filling or eye makeup etc :)

UPDATE: I say this with a heavy heart as I adore MAC's products and doubt I'll find replacements for many but I cannot repurchase their products now that they are not cruelty free due to supplying China. :( I cannot support cruelty for my own vanity.