John Frieda Smooth Start Shampoo: Hydrating for Extra-Dry Hair

Filtered by skin type : Combination
No Image

3.0

Water, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamidopropyl bethaine, olea eruopaea (olive) fruit oil, cocamide mea, fragrance sodium chloride, glycol distearate, benzyl alcohol polyquaternium-10, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, silicone quaternium-18, malic acid, sidosium EDTA, sodium xylenesulfonate, trideceth-6, trideceth-12, glycine, bis-methoxypropylamido isodocosane, DMDM hydantoin, methylparaben, propylparaben

on 11/19/2010 1:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This shampoo has an odd texture -- sort of gluey. However, when you lather it into your hair, this isn't a problem. The problem lies in the fact that this is marketed as a hydrating shampoo for extra-dry hair, but it provides no more hydration than any other shampoo yet costs twice as much. (For example - the Herbal Essence Shampoos have 12 ounces versus the 10 ounces in Smooth Start, yet cause several dollars less.) This did not give my curly hair a "Smooth Start". I will finish this tube, but will not repurchase.

on 7/19/2010 10:37:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This did exactly the opposite of what it was supposed to. My hair was poufier like it had some kind of a coating on it and wouldn't lie down flat even after straightening it with a flatiron. The hair strands themselves were not frizzy, but the overall effect was, because my hair would not go vertical. As soon as I resumed using my regular shampoo, the problem went away. I'm using it to wash my hand laundry now.

I bought this shampoo and conditioner because I really needed some heavy silicone to fill in my chipped cuticles. It was okay, but not anything special. It was moisturizing, but not amazingly so. The main reason I don't really use this anymore is because it smells AWFUL. It smells like watered down men's cologne.

on 5/2/2010 4:40:00 PM

I was looking for a delicate shampoo that would cleanse my hair without being too rough (like typical drug store brands) and that would also moisturize my hair (without the price of salon brands). Thanks to a recommendation from Paula Begoun, I found it with this product. This shampoo is silky, lathers well and leaves my hair feeling cleansed but not stripped. I follow this up with Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Hair Mask and my hair is smoother and more lush with less frizz. The only thing I don't like about this shampoo is the packaging. Of course I keep it in my shower and the cap always fills with tepid water which is gross. I would have preferred a typical bottle to the squeeze-tube.

I highly recommend this product as a nice bridge between drug store and salon brands. I will re-purchase.