Coppertone Coppertone Sensitive Skin Suncreen Lotion, SPF 50 6 fl oz

Coppertone Coppertone Sensitive Skin Suncreen Lotion, SPF 50 6 fl oz
Coppertone Sensitive Skin Suncreen Lotion, SPF 50 6 fl oz

3.0

PPD 6.7 Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (5%), Zinc Oxide (14.5%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl PEG/GGP 10/1 Dimethicone, PEG 12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilan, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf, Ethyhexyl Palmitate, Diazolidiny Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this because it's for sensitive skin and it was reasonably priced on sale. The first time I tried it, it was an hour after my morning shower and my skin was dry. It came out of the bottle like a thin liquid, but the minute I put it on my arms, it seemed to "solidify" and felt like I was trying to rub in a thick ointment. No matter what I did, it wouldn't apply evenly, just in streaks. Next time I tried it, I hopped out of the shower and applied it. Again, once it hit my skin, it solidified and would not apply evenly. It also made my skin look very white, and that lasted for a while. Also, it was very hard to wash it off the palms of my hands.

I was excited to find this because it has no added scent, but I can't stand the texture. Can't recommend this one to anybody.

on 12/23/2016 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Super Shiny, very similar to the shine you get when you slather vaseline all over your face though a bit brightening because this stuff is WHITE. Though I must say the white faded quite a bit on my NC 42, now NC 44 skintone (more on that next). It still looked a bit ashy after fading. Though it said "water resistant" and "broad spectrum" and I applied it thickly, I burnt to a (nice looking) red shade while only one hour out in the direct sun. So this is not even good for your hands because it doesn't prevent burning. I give it two lippies because it IS water resistant and didn't seem to clog my pores.

on 7/14/2016 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a good value family size sunscreen for long days outdoors or during athletic activities. It lasts quite awhile and fully protected me as long as I applied 20 minutes before exposure. I didn't have a chance one time to let it fully absorb so I got a slight bit dark.

It goes on white due to the zinc oxide but also has chemical blockers, but is thin enough to smooth on skin easily without it feeling like you were trying to smear a toothpaste like texture on. It's not elegant feeling on the skin, it will feel heavy and thick on the skin but you can be assured of protection if you are going to be spending hours outdoors without a chance to reapply every hour.

There is a slight scent to it but fades after a few minutes. You can go to Coppertone's website and get a coupon as well. I decant about 1 oz into a container with a pump and it's perfect for carrying around in a zip lock bag with a handtowel. I wouldn't recommend it for sensitive skins due to the chemical blockers and scent but I think the smell too faint to be a problem. I also don't recommend it for the face, it's too heavy and probably your makeup will not go on smoothly but a SPF powder foundation might help with the greasy feel. I didn't try it but I did breakout from from using it on the face.

It is tenacious. It is hard to remove even with oil based cleanser. I think my oil cleanser is not strong enough so I need to look for one that is too drying for face but will be easier to remove the Coppertone sunscreen.

on 8/22/2013 10:45:00 PM

I bought this sunscreen for a trip to the beach after reading about it on EWG. I think this might be the worst sunscreen I've ever used. I applied it liberally on my first day before going out to the beach. Yes, it goes on VERY thick and white, but I expected that. I admit that I wasn't as diligent as I normally am about reapplying on that first day, since it's such a goopy mess to apply, particularly once you have sand on you, and I did get a couple of pink spots on my chest and shoulder. So, from that day forward, I applied and reapplied diligently each day, but noticed that my cheeks, chests and arm were getting more red and itchy after a day or two. My skin also felt very dry and it's next to impossible to scrub this stuff off in the shower. By time I left the beach, my skin was dry, red, bumpy and itchy. After doing a little online research, I suspect that I may have had an allergic reaction to octinoxate (the first ingredient listed on the package). My symptoms sound very similar to everything I read about reactions to octinoxate. To top it all off, all of the new swimsuits I bought for the trip are now stained white stripes of zinc oxide, and possibly ruined. This stuff is going straight into the garbage. My experience with it was completely awful.

on 4/17/2013 12:17:00 PM

I've been using this sunscreen for about three years now, and will probably buy more of this in a week or two. It's the best sunscreen I've found as of now. I'm not an expert on the function of sunscreens, but based on the research I've done on this product compared to others, it seems like it offers very efficient UVA and UVB protection. It's a product that I feel comfortable and protected while using. In addition, Zinc Oxide is my sunscreen ingredient of choice, and this sunscreen contains a good amount, plus some smaller amounts of chemical sunscreen ingredients.

As for the texture, I personally really enjoy the whitecast that it gives to my face, since my skin is extremely pale and often red and ruddy. This sunscreen really evens out my skin tone and slightly lightens my dark circles; it's kind of like putting makeup on, for me.

Despite all of that, I completely understand why many people are unhappy with the whitecast this product leaves. My boyfriend is Asian with a medium complexion, and this sunscreen makes his skin look blue, no joke.

It can also be a little persistent when using this on the body. Last Summer, I would always get some of this sunscreen stuck in the lines of my inner elbow, and it was pretty difficult to remove with bar soap. I've had no problems removing it from my face, but for other parts of the body, body wash may be your better option.

I think the key to getting this product to work is to experiment with different application techniques; go easy at first and lightly dot some of the product onto the skin, then blend it all together. Since it has a high amount of zinc, you have to make sure not to apply too much, otherwise it's just going to sit on your skin. Zinc or chem-free sunscreens don't require as much product to get an even coating as carbon-based or chemical sunscreens do, so start lightly and build it up if needed.

TLDR: Great broad spectrum protection; good product for pale and pink-toned complexions; not the best for darker complexions; use care when removing.

(P.S. Coppertone Sensitive Skin SPF 50, Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple SPF 50, and Coppertone Kids Pure & Simple SPF 50 all have the exact same formula. Buy the cheapest of the three.)

on 7/24/2015 4:16:00 AM

The good: It's for sensitive skin and has sunscreen ingredients that aren't "bad" like oxybenzone and what not.

The bad: OH MY GROSSING GOD! THIS IS SO GREASY AND THICK! But I don't know what I was expecting. It is a physical sunscreen and it is a cheap one, too. It didn't leave a white cast on my hand but when I put it on my arms it got caught at the base of my arm hairs (and I refuse to shave my arms. I don't have time to care about that area) and I couldn't rub it in as much as I tried. I gave up and was left with the white on my arms. I definitely don't recommend for darker skin tones (Or any skin tone). I think the package said it was non comedogenic so I was going to use it on my face as well but I don't recommend it since it's so greasy. I returned it the same day.

on 8/5/2012 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Thick and white. The previous reveiws that warn about this are on target. I've had great luck with this so far and I don't have any problems with the consistency at all. When I wear this on my face, I usually cover it with makeup anyway so it's a non-issue. I am a pale person and that's probably why I don't notice it as much as others. I have found that it is a nice moisturizer for drier skin and I like that as it seems to make my makeup look good over it. Overall a cheap product that appears to work fine for my situation. If I had a darker skin tone or an oiler skin type, I probably would not use this on my face.

on 7/30/2012 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Oh my goodness. This broke out my entire face after just one day of use. I had guests visiting, and I had to spend the entire weekend trying to hide my broken-out face behind my hair or hats. Very embarrassing and awkward. Now I will spend a lot of time trying to reverse the damage. Most sunscreens break me out with at least one whitehead, but this was an entire face. Be careful if you have acne-prone, oily skin.

I obviously expected it to be quite thick and leave some white, since it's zinc oxide. However, it is a SERIOUS amount of white/blue left on the skin for quite awhile. I would never use this on my face (but not a huge fan of zinc on my face regardless of the rave reviews it gets, it's just not for me), but also ended up giving this away because it was just too...well, too much. My arms were bluish for awhile after leaving the house. I have found ultra generic versions that do better.

on 7/23/2012 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Leaves a definite white sheen to the skin.
Mild "Elmer's Glue" smell.
Uses a physical sunblock (Zinc Oxide for UVA/UVB) and two chemical sunblocks (Octisalate for UVB, Octinoxate for UVA/UVB). The chemical blocks mean the product must be allowed to dry before being fully effective.