4.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 months ago

I first used Merle Norman Powder Base as a teenager. I used it off and on over the years, but had a hard time finding a MN Studio close to where I lived. Eureka! You can now order from them ONLINE!!! I decided to go back and try the old basics I had loved so much, and Powder Base was one of them. Well, I love it as much now as I did back then. The coverage is amazing. I am using a Beauty Blender with it and it works perfectly. My skin hasn't looked this good for a long time. Highly recommend this classic foundation.

About reviewer (132 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium

a year ago

Have used this foundation off and on since high school. Always go back to it..especially when my sensitive skin has a rosacea flare up. The zinc in the formula is very soothing and healing. Love it!

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Medium

2 years ago

this stuff is amazing, the coverage is not extreme but it transforms and beautifies the face in a very natural and glowing way if used with a brush

About reviewer (47 reviews)

SkinNormal

2 years ago

Well this is wonderful stuff for those with Rosacea...I had tried this before, about 10 years ago, and wasn't crazy about it, but liked it because its main ingredient is zinc, which is a sunscreen and healing to the skin. Application was my problem, wished I had known that then, but glad I gave it another chance. I use a sponge wedge and apply by gently dabbing it on small areas of my face, starting in the center. I do not rub,only use a dabbing motion and blend this way. This makes your foundation smooth and even looking and doesn't irritate sensitive skin.It covers well and hides redness well. Ivory shade has a yellow tone, so is good for hiding any redness you may have. I don't use a finishing powder, I just blot with a tissue and works great...This also helps keep your face moist and soft. I remove with Jergens Face Cream (another oldie I used in my teens) I found at Wal Mart. My skin is loving it and I am paying much less than I paid for my previous cosmetics... UPDATE: Still loving this foundation, great for dry skin...Also have started using a foundation brush for a velvet like finish ;-) couldn't be more pleased with a healing type foundation with excellent coverage, a win, win.

About reviewer (24 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairOther, Wavy, Fine

4 years ago

I am a third generation MN wearer. My Grandmother now deceased (when it became available to her), my other who is 83 and I who just turned 61 have used this our entire lives. I will never change as long as its made. I did summer work for my local MN Studio for years. All three of us look 15 to 20 years younger than we are. It's like a balm to our skins. I know all skin is different and ours are too but it is wonderful for us. We live in the deep south and this stuff stays PUT no sweating it off it looks just as good when we take it off as when we put it on. They are working hard to overcome the "old lady" image but I'm telling you they have the best foundations and powders in the world. If you don't want to "look" like an "old lady" use this stuff. They have samples for you to use at home to find out what your best shade is and once you find it it's great! I know Sephora and Ulta and all those stores offer thousands of great products but don't PASS up the MN Studio without giving it a shot!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinOther, Olive

4 years ago

I really like the Merle Norman Powder Base. My only issue has been that my husband hates the smell of the product so I have had to cut down to using it only for special occasions. I never had an issue with the smell of the product. Now that the smell had been decreased I will go back to it full time.! :-) It covers better than any other product and feels good on the skin.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

4 years ago

It's basically a colored zinc oxide! You put it on a baby's bottom to prevent and heal diaper rash. Why not on your face? It is also a great sunscreen. There are no other foundations that I know of that are actually good for your skin. A frequently read comment is that the writer knows an elderly woman who has used this product all her life and has beautiful skin. There's a reason for that! I obviously love this product. I have tried many others but always come back to this. It is great for Rosecea! It calms the skin and covers the redness. It is less expensive than most foundations even others in the MN line. And it is made in the US!!! For some reason, most SA don't "push" this product so you may have to ask for it specifically. I apply it with a damp sponge--no streaks. I am sorry to say that my latest purchase of Powderbase does not have the same smell. It is still pleasant but much diminished. I loved the old fragrance more. I guess that too many people found it to be too strong. Oh well, at least they are listening to the customer!

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

3.0

5 years ago

This product was very nostalgic to me - this and the Miracol mask. When I was a teenager in the 60's I was fascinated with Merle Norman. At that time I could only afford Woolworth cosmetics and was always on the hunt for acne products or "medicated" makeups. My skin was crazy oily with breakouts in the T zone. I lived in suburban Chicago with high humidity and no A/C in our house. At high school I would sit with a couple of "older" students in the cafeteria before the first bell rang. One of them wore the Powder Base, liquid eyeliner and some cream blush from Merle Norman, which she would apply while we waited for the first bell. She didn't have oily skin like I did and would smooth it on. I had a unique fragrance, but the creamy consistency scared me off. I have always been fascinated with makeup, watching women apply makeup, seeing what products they use, and the transformative power of makeup. When I got older (my 20's), I think I tried the Powder Base again, but I can't remember with what results. I became "obsessed" with it again, now that my skin is no longer oily and I actually prefer creamy foundations. I live in the SF Bay Area now, and Merle Norman is not so easy to find now that I no longer live in the "burbs". I found a store and purchased the Powder Base in Porcelain and the Miracol liquid mask, so have recently started using it. The smell/fragrance is the same and takes me back. The price is very reasonable ($20) for the amount of product. My Powder Base's packaging does not match the photos on the web; it has a plain white base and a plain silver tone top....no labels or letters or insignias or design of any kind. Maybe franchisees have the option of selling cheap containers vs fancy ones??? Oh well. The first time I wore it, I went to an upscale restaurant and sat at the counter. Two attractive, well-dressed women and a man were seated next to me. One of the women complemented my nail polish and asked what color it was; the other woman said "I wanted to complement your skin; you complexion looks beautiful!" Whoa Maybe I need to work this stuff into the "rotation" of Giorgio Armani Maestro, and MAC cream foundation more often. I use my fingers to put it on. A little goes a long way and it smooths on easily. It doesn't look or feel heavy, but somehow does manage to conceal imperfections. I need to figure out how much moisturizer to use with it because I don't want to look shiny. I don't use powder. In some of the reviews I noticed that people didn't understand why it was called "Powder Base"...wondering if it was a creme to powder formulation. It is simply a base for powder, but in my case it is just a canvas for blush and eye makeup. When I apply this, the scent of the product remains on my skin; this might be off-putting for some if they don't like (this) fragrance. I am going to start with 3 lippies, and will update it after I have worn it a few more times and under different conditions: heat, cold, less moisturizer, more moisturizer, during and after exercise class.

About reviewer (30 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Straight, Coarse

5 years ago

I am 50 years old and have been using select Merle Norman products, since I was 12 years old. (I have used Merle Norman "cold cream" every night for 38 years and it shows.) I have rosacea and Merle Norman Powder Base is the ONLY thing that I can put on my skin, when it flairs. I do use Chanels' Lingerie de Peau when all is well but I always have powder base on hand. Great Product!!! Very healing and great coverage...

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

6 years ago

I can't believe that I'm about to review this. I used to cuss this foundation. For reasons that won't be detailed here. However, I have been on the hunt for an HG foundation. Who would have thunk it!? As a previous reviewer mentioned, I tried Gerda Spillman before. It was an excellent foundation. However, it never seemed to provide the exact, adjustable coverage I need. I decided to give this a try because it is inexpensive and because no one has ever had more perfect skin than the stars in old movies, despite all the cigarettes they smoked. Their skin was perfect because of foundations like this one. It has literally been on the market that long. It was $16 at my local studio. I applied it over Tarte primer (the one that minimizes pores) using a foundation brush. I then used silica powder over it. My skin looks fabulous. I may try a Beauty Blender at some point as well. Didn't even bother with a concealer. The colors are scary in the container. I'm an 01 in Guerlain Lingerie de Peau and I wear Porcelain in Merle Norman Powder Base. My skin is combo/dry lately. Oilier skin folks likely will not love it, but anyone can try a sample of any shade first. Glad I gave it a try. I look refreshed.

About reviewer (138 reviews)

Age36-43