no images

package quality

price range

Reviews

a month ago

This is an excellent moisturizing oil for my dry, sensitive and/or inflamed skin. Yes, it is orange in color and be advised will show up on fair skin until absorbed. It has a vaguely nutty, natural scent that dissipates. I use Life Flo Cold Pressed Organic Pure Sea Buckthorn Oil from Vitacost or Amazon, priced at about $14.00 for a 1fl oz. brown glass bottle with an eyedropper cap dispenser. 1-3 drops mixed with my daily moisturizer, rose hip oil, or day serum before sunscreen really boosts my skins moisture and mixing it into other products diffuses the orange color into nothing. Added to overnight creams/oils, it leaves me with soft, plump, dewy morning skin. When my rosacea-prone skin flares up, I use *only* this sea buckthorn oil with nothing else overnight and it calms the inflamed skin right down, generally back to normal in a day or two. I will not be without it. Love.

About reviewer (47 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinDry, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

a year ago

I wanted to write a quick review to warn other users that this stuff is ORANGE. I just bought a bottle of this. I got the SBT kernel oil, this is different from the pulp oil. The pulp oil is meant to be a lot darker abd nutrient packed (and more expensive). For the record I bought organic, cold pressed Sea Buckthorn Oil from NHR organic oils. Their website is worth checking out. For each of their products there are tables showing the different percentage of chemical compounds, it's really interesting.You can compare the percentage of linoieic acid for example. This oil is so orange, and yes, it will show on your skin, especially if you're pale. I have those pale blotchy, dead looking legs that are so common in Britain. This oil, when applied neat, really makes my legs look alive. It completely erases the blotchines, and leaves a nice natural hint of colour. HOWEVER this oil will also come off if rubbed against a material, leaving an ugly, if removable stain. It also smells bad. It smells like how acid reflux feels, with a little chilli pepper thrown in. Not great. It was RIDICULOUSLY expensive, almost double my beloved Rosehip oil, which is already a fairly pricey oil. I will say this- the texture it leaves is very interesting. Immediately after application my skin feels softer, more orange yes, and tougher. Somehow firmer and less supple. It is hard to describe, and I'm not sure I like it yet, but its worth mentioning. I tried using this for an oil cleanse and that turned out okay. When I wiped the oil off iit left satisfying orangey stains on the cloth, I liked being able to tell when I'd wiped all of it off- by marking the increasing lightness of the stains. I then tried using it on my body I mixed it with avocado oil and safflower oil and it was still disturbingly orange.Like radioactive. I think you nead to dilute it quite a bit. I put it neat on my face and it made me look alittle sunburned. That was a few hours ago, I just checked my skin and it looks amazing. Plump, glowing, luminous (and no longer orange) I have heard amazing things about it, so I will continue to use it and report back. But as far ad I can see it should be used diluted in another carrier oil. I will probably mix it with my beloved rosehip oil, to make a rosehip oil on steroids. So far I am comforted by how orange it is, and how expensive it was. Although I'm not overly happy about the staining. My skin does feel incredibly soft, and it is definitely glowy now. I wasn't sure it was worth all the effort with diluting and staining etc, but if it keeps on making my skin looks this good I will definitely keep using it. I will continue to use it and report back.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

Age25-29

2 years ago

I bought Poppy Austin Sea Buckthorn Oil from Amazon and it is UH-MAZING! I can't live without this stuff now. I had used other skincare products with Sea Buckthorn Oil in them years ago (Lumene Energy Cocktail and Oridel Liquid Gem Oil- both of which were some of the best skincare products I'd ever tried) but never tried the pure oil until now. I mix a few drops of this with my moisturizer, Pacifica Cactus Water Lotion, at night after washing my face with Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Powder and my skin has never looked better. I think it's due to the vitamin C (sea buckthorn and camu camu both contain a lot of it). I love the smell of this (fruity but a hint of sea salt) and the moisturizing texture. It doesn't feel sticky at all but not too thin and watery either. I definitely recommend trying it- for all skin types but especially if your skin tends to feel dry at times. My skin is oily and dehydrated and this just helps perk up my skin so much!

About reviewer (252 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Tan, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesBlack

3.0
from

3 years ago

This was ok for me. It absorbed well, but left me with with some pimples & was very smelly. I really didn't notice any skin improvement. Not worth the expense. I was not amazed & will not repurchase. I ordered from Seabuck Wonders.

About reviewer (142 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

3 years ago

Update: I can't believe how much I love this stuff...it's literally repaired my very thin/damaged skin barrier. I wanted to add that I apply this to damp skin and it seems to lock the moisture in even though it fully absorbs! I had very fine lines under my eyes (not wrinkles) and I swear this stuff has plumped my skin so much from hydration that they are 100% gone. -------------- This is probably one of my top 10 favorite (new) purchases of 2016. If you are new to oils or acne prone please read the last paragraph. :) Background on my skin: oily, acne prone, rosacea, sensitive... Despite being super oily (my derms have tried rxing accutane...) I still need moisturizers. I have tried 25+ oils now from Garden of Wisdom and damn... my skin just hates most of them. To date there's only been a few oils that don't break me out: (organic) jojoba, watermelon seed, and hempseed oil. The watermelon seed oil is by far my favorite out of those three. All the popular oils like olive, coconut, argan, ect. break me out like a volcano. Sea buckthorn oil has blown me away. When I first applied it I kept thinking "this is just as, if not more, heavy than argan oil. I already know it's going to break me out". But much to my surprise, it hasn't caused a single pimple. Hell there hasn't even been a clogged pore. And I don't know how. Because this stuff really is heavy. It's only of the most hydrating oils I've ever used. I honestly feel like the omegas in it have done miracles for repairing my skin's protective moisture barrier. My skin is no longer flaking from retinoid gel even in the colder weather. Something that sets this one apart from the others in my book is that I can now just rinse my face with water in the morning. Some residue from the oil remains on my skin. I was thinking about adding a setting spray to my routine but this has solved the too-matte finish issue. I have tried this with other oils and my make up always looked bad because the oil residue would just sit on top of my skin. Sea buckthorn seems to fully absorb! (Which again...I don't know how. It is really heavy.) I have now tried the seed version, the berry version, and a mixture. The seed is my favorite. The berry extract version DOES have more benefits in it, since it's heavier in antioxidants. HOWEVER the trade off is it's a lot less hydrating. It's so drying that experts suggest diluting it (you do not need to dilute the seed version). I have retin a and other skincare products to be working miracles on my skin. I don't need the berry extract. But what I do need is some good hydration, so I'll stick to the seed version. Another downside of the berry extract version is it is really dark red. The seed version, and even mixture version, did not stain my skin. I am not falling out of love with watermelon seed oil. I will continue purchasing that one too. The biggest difference between watermelon seed and sea buckthorn is that the sea buckthorn is a LOT heavier. So I'll alternate which one to use based off how much moisture I need. {I am hesitant about listing brands because I'd rather not give credit to companies that I can't vouch for. GoW is reputable but I didn't know until recently that they have it on their extracts - not oils - page. I'll be purchasing from them next since they're usually my go-to. And NO I do not work for them...keep in mind idiots also think I work for Olaplex. I just have a lot of experience dealing with orders as you can tell by my profile.} Advice for newbies/acne-prone customers: 1. Do.not.expect.oil.to.solve.all.your.skin.woes. At most expect it to just solve any issues regarding the moisture barrier. I see a lot of acne prone people blame everything on oil but if your skin is bad before using - it's not always the oil at fault. I ATTRIBUTE RETINOID GEL TO CLEARING UP MY SKIN. The sea buckthorn oil just helps with moisturizing. 2. Get sampler packs. Garden of Wisdom sells these, not sure about other companies. Patch test them out for a few days on only one area. Why do I suggest this? Because oils are very your-mileage-may-vary. Most of them break me out. It sucks to buy a full sized version only to find out you can't use it. 3. Another thing is DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. I had to try soooo many before finding the ones that work for me. 4. Last but not least - similar compositions mean nothing. I have tried oils that were VERY similar (ie raspberry seed oil vs watermelon seed oil) and broke out from one but not the other. **Editing to add**: 5. Make sure you're getting quality oils. Try to get organic if you can. The difference does matter if you have finicky skin like mine.

About reviewer (514 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinVery Oily, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

5 years ago

I like this product a lot. I've used it for over a year and a half, and keep repurchasing it. I use the berry oil and not the seed oil because I read online that it's more effective. I'm not really sure if that's true or not because I've only used the berry oil. I use it to help with my acne. It seems counter-intuitive to apply oil to your face when you're breaking out- but it really works! I find that the acne is less prominent when I use this product. I used to just apply a couple of drops to the problem areas and then go to sleep. Now, I apply a bandaid on top to protect the skin from rubbing all over my sheets when I'm sleeping. My only complaint with the oil is that it stains! Apparently the seed oil doesn't, but the berry oil definitely does. My face is literally orange in the morning, and my pillow cases and sheets are a mess. Everything comes out in the wash, so I guess it's all right. For a while I was applying it all over my face, and after several weeks, I started to wonder if it was actually dying my skin orange. In the end I couldn't really tell, but now I just use it as a spot treatment (just in case).

About reviewer (9 reviews)

6 years ago

I use the Sibu brand. Three drops only. I rub it in well, and sleep on white pillowcases. NO STAINING. If you are staining things, you are using too much and/or not massaging it in well enough. More importantly...I haven't worn foundation or tinted moisturizer for the last few days after using this for the past few weeks. I haven't felt confident without one of those two products for years! My skin tone is so much more even and hydrated. I love this stuff, and the bottle will last ages.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

6 years ago

This is an amazing product! I have tried so many oils (coconut, jojoba, argan, avocado, rosehip, olive, tamanu...) creams, treatments (AHAs, Retine-a, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide...), tools (Clarisonic, konjac sponge, brushes...) and cleansers in the aim of reducing my very mild but stubborn acne, and I think Sibu's sea buckthorn oil might be the answer to my problem! I've been using it for two weeks now, which is a short period of time (you should always wait at least a month before reviewing a product) but I've already seen dramatic changes that I am just to excited to share to the world to wait any longer! First of all, I am 20 years old and have been taking care of my skin since I was about 12 or 13... So, I know a thing or two about skincare and have tried lots and lots of different products and brands over the years (Caudalie, Dr Hauschka, Andalou Naturals, Cetaphil, Dr Renaud, Nuxe, Avene, La Roche Posay, Vichy, Zorah, Bioderma, Spectro, Nivea, Michael Todd, Kimberly Sayer, Thayers, Weleda, Exodeus, name them...), and I don't think I have EVER experienced something like that! With ONE use, my skin was supple, hydrated, calmed and incredibly glowy. I'm in love. I put about four-five drops on my face and neck every night before I go to sleep, and when I wake up my face is just always looking better. My pimples seem to be healing and going away much faster (I am also using Benzagel - a benzoyl peroxide based product - which helps a lot too), I haven't had any new breakoust and the small scars I have are fading while my skin's texture and brightness are dramatically improving (it's softer, clearer, well balanced... it's amazing). And for 16$/10 ml at Whole Foods... Let's just say that I'm used to spend much more money for less impressive results. Try it. Now. And if you happen to speak french and want to know more about how to take care of your skin, I have a Youtube channel that you can subscribe to! ;) https://www.youtube.com/user/adnbeauty

About reviewer (4 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

EyesBrown

6 years ago

So glad I read these reviews and gave sea buckthorn oil a try... I've been using it for a couple of weeks -- patting it on my face after cleansing at night -- and I LOVE it. It immediately calms my skin and I wake up with completely comfortable, supple skin... And this is from someone who has uber-sensitive skin -- dehydrated, with rosacea... It completely brought it back into balance. I also feel that my red spots are a little less obvious since I started using it... The only downside is the smell... At first, I would mix it with an Aveda balancing oil to give it a better smell but now I'm okay with it... It absorbs nicely and I still use my Sukin on my neck and décolletage and that has such a gorgeous smell that I barely notice anymore... It's a little pricey but you don't use that much and it's well worth it. And the packaging (with a dropper) is very clean. I love this stuff!

About reviewer (9 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

6 years ago

Only been using this for 5 days, but I feel like I can definitley tell a difference whereas with other problems I haven't! I suffer from reaaaally red cheeks and a rudolf nose and went on the search for products which would calm them down. Tried the anti-redness clinique line but I saw no difference. With this though, I've been applying it once a day in the evening and it doesn't irritate my skin, makes it smooth and I'm 99% sure my redness is fading, even if it's just a little, after 5 days it's definitely done something good! My only criticism is that it isn't thick enough for my dry skin to be a moisturiser, so I have to apply this under my normal moisturiser. Other than that I will continue use and hopefully watch the redness fade even more!

About reviewer (5 reviews)

AgeUnder 18