First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser

3.8

Water (Aqua), Sodium Coloyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Stearyl Alcohol, Sodium PCA, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Allantoin, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Stearate, Disodium EDTA, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Just some comparison info, you can skip this if you want:
I picked up the First Aid Beauty Cleanser and the Honest Beauty Gel Cleanser at the same time. I had been curious about both for a little while and though I'm not sure that they are frequently talked about together, I like making comparisons in my reviews. They are both supposedly for sensitive skin, remove makeup and are supposed to foam up. The full size FAB cleanser is 5oz which is $4/oz. The Honest cleanser is $18 for a full size which puts it slightly less per ounce but I got the travel size to test out which is $8 for 2 ounces and therefore, $4 an ounce as well. I try to use products for a while before reviewing, so I gave this about a week exclusively, and then I tried the Honest one for a few days but then went back to this. I use both with my Foreo, which I love. I was using DermaDoctor Brightening cleanser before and I sort of liked that but I occassionally felt taught or dry but not so badly that I didn't like it or woudn't repurchase it. Sadly, I dropped the glass bottle and it shattered all over, so I got these.

I have break out prone skin due to products, over drying or just because and also tend to pick at breakouts and bumps. So I need something kind of gentle but also not too wimpy where my makeup and dirt aren't removed. This cleanser is pearly, 'fragrance free' (I think it smells like soap, harsh soap, and it was a little offensive at first) and foams up pretty well. I only need a pearl size for this and it does cleanse really well. I find there is no residue on my toner pad after using this. So I disagree with claims that it doesn't remove makeup. I will say though, it DOES burn your eyes. I saw another reviewer said that and I couldn't agree more. But if I'm going to use it to remove my makeup at the end of the day, eye makeup is a part of that. I try to not linger there too long and I do need a makeup remover to get in the waterline and the reminants that I couldn't use the cleanser for. But that bothers me a lot.

The first few days, I really thought I was gonna be one of the people that loved this. My skin was looking pretty good and it felt soft after cleansing, and I appreciated that. I didn't feel tight and I actually thought it would, since this one feels 'soapy'. I had a feeling that it could be drying in time.

After a few days, I thought my acne was... changing with this. I know that sounds weird but it did. I felt like it made them pop up quickly but they came out easily and healed pretty quickly. They were less like cysts and more like big whiteheads so I thought that was an improvement. I didn't think it was due to the product but instead thought it was just maybe the start of my skin healing. However, looking back on how I just wrote that, that screams product reaction to me. Additionally, if I do mess with my skin, or a pimple doesn't extract well, things get worse. I started to notice that my skin was kind of taught over the pimples, old ones would reinfect and take forever to heal. The spots would sometimes go away quickly but other times they'd be very dark and sore. I KNOW my skin and I know that has to do with my barrier being compromised (that same effect I described happens to me if I over use BP). I admit I used some acne treatments as well on my ance but it's hard to not when you want them to go down. So if a cleanser is drying, it just makes it all worse. Usually, I can tell when something aggrivates my skin above it's normal issues. I really feel this was the case with this cleanser. It may take time to see if a product 'works' for fixing issues, but you can tell if it's drying you out or compromising your barrier pretty quickly. That doesn't go backwards with a drying product, you won't suddenly feel more moisturized with further use, it just gets worse. I have doubts about 'purging' phases, but of this (the drying), I'm sure. And any over drying causes me to break out, regarless of ingredients.

I can see why people either love or hate this. I loved how well it cleanse at first but I hate how it burns. Even if my acne wasn't just from this, (and I do realize that other products attributed to barrier compromise, plus my skin just hates me), I still think that the burning alone is pretty bad. Not only that, even those of you who don't have ance might still have drying with this that might not be noticed as easily. I just wouldn't call it sensitive at all. I don't think the Honest one was worlds better either. It came across as gentler but I felt like it was low key drying too. At first I thought I liked this and was going to write a great review but now I'm returning it. This was a big miss for me and it makes me kind of sad. However, it helped me realize that for my skin I'm moving away from foaming cleansers all together. None are gentle enough for me and my mantle is too messed up. Personally, I think no foaming cleansers are good if you have that issue/dehydrated/sensitve skin. Forget makeup cleaning, that shouldn't be a cleansers job. (I'm going to two step) I know some people have luck with this but I wouldn't comfortably recommend it to anyone.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This was just okay. I will not repurchase. It would probably work for someone with normal skin who is looking for a simple cleanser for a second cleanse or for mornings.

My skin: dry, sometimes dehydrated. I gravitate toward oils, but wanted something simple and not messy for the shower.

Pros:
- Seemed gentle enough. Didn't irritate my dry skin. Didn't make my skin more dry or tight.

Cons:
- Though it advertises that it fully removes makeup, it does not. It didn't remove mascara well. I also don't trust that it removes makeup and sunscreen fully.
- It just seems like a cheap drugstore cleanser at a higher price-point.

To Read all 173 Reviews, Login or Join

I didn't want to like this cleanser. Or I did, based on the formula, but not based on the packaging or appearance or the branding or marketing. The packaging is kind of tacky and cheap looking, and the name is kind of stupid. The cleanser itself looks and feels like cheap pearlescent hand soap, as another reviewer perfectly described it. It foams up a little, which I was a little concerned about. It will irritate your eyes so it is not great for removing eye makeup. It has no scent, which is fine. And it works. And it is non-irritating. And it improved my skin. A+!
I love that it has licorice extract and Sodium PCA and allantoin in it because they are all good for your skin and help with scarring and acne damage and soothing. It is fairly inexpensive, $20 for 5 oz, and it is probably worth it. I will repurchase it, though I'm not in a rush because it's not a terribly exciting cleanser, and I'm not going to hoard bottles of it. But I will buy it again without hesitation when I see a deal.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

With sensitive, oily and acne-prone skin, my greatest fear is finding a cleanser than either irritates my skin and breaks it out or it doesn't cleanse well enough and breaks me out. This one is definitely the latter. I really, reallllly wanted to love this. It claims to be a heavy duty cleanser than removes dirt, oil and makeup. I've been using this cleanser for over 6 months. It was a creamy cleanser that didn't strip my skin of the moisture. It's dawned on me recently that I've been suffering from a sudden surge of acne and perhaps this is to blame. I've noticed over time there were many pimples under the surface and clogged pores. I had previously used the Lancôme Crème Radiance and never had an issue. I honestly don't think this is a bad product, I just have very finicky skin. I think my skin prefers to be stripped of moisture.

I have dry, sensitive delicate skin and this face cleanser is the best for it. I use it day and night, and it leaves my face feeling soft. If I wake up with redness, I noticed this even helps to calm it down. I use this with my Foreo Luna which helps it to foam up, but when using it with just my fingers I feel like it doesn't give as deep of a clean. This is a very gentle cleanser, I would not use this to remove my makeup, I would probably use the oil cleansing method if I wore a full face of makeup and then follow up with this. I would definitely repurchase again, it's a must have for my sensitive skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I purchased this cleanser in hopes this would be an ideal face wash for mornings. I wanted something for sensitive skin, something creamy and gentle. I tend to gravitate toward anything that has antioxidants in it so I thought this cleanser would be a home run.
Obviously from my one lippie rating, you know this was not a winner for me.

Let me first play on the word in the description "sensitive" and let me fall off my chair and laugh like a hysterical nut. Nothing really irritates my eyes and I tend to keep my eyes half open when cleaning my face to make sure I'm getting everything off. DO NOT DO THIS. YOU KEEP YOUR EYES SQUEEZED SHUT TIGHT WITH THIS CLEANSER. You have been warned. The burn, omg the burn. It actually hurt like knife blades soaked in acid and lit on fire rapidly stabbing my eyes. Okay, fine close your eyes and go on with your life. Well, that's not the case here. This really is not a gentle cleanser. I find this pretty harsh and it dried out my skin horribly. It removes every single trace of oil and make skin feel extremely tight and rough. I'm someone with very oily skin and for a cleanser to eliminate all oil and suck the life out of my skin is something I would stay away from.

The cleansing ability of the face wash is good. It won't get waterproof mascara off though. But, it will get a full face of makeup off. So, one lippie for that.

The texture is a bit too thick for my liking. It almost feels as though I'm putting shampoo on my face. A thick drying shampoo like Head and Shoulders.

Overall, not my cup of tea and I will be returning this to Sephora.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I had been using this face wash for 3 years. It was my holy grail...honestly the best face wash. Then I bought a new bottle and they changed the name to "Pure Skin". Well...they changed the formula too. It left my skin so extremely irritated and severely dry. Why do companies change their products which have 5 star reviews? I have tried 15 face washes since this one was changed and all of them either dry me out or irritate. I am so so disappointed by this company. I swore by the original version...so frustrating and sad.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG face cleanser.

My face is incredibly sensitive. I can't rinse it with water in the shower because that's too harsh, and before I found this product I used olive oil to clean my face.

I bought this because a reviewer on here said it was too gentle to fully clean the makeup off of her face. That's what let me know it was truly gentle enough for my face.

I got a sample of this in a point perk from Sephora to try out. I'm not convinced it removes all the dirt from my face. When I use it at night I tend to wake up with some extra pimples, so it may break me out. I don't like the stripped feeling it leaves on my face after I wash it off. I am not a fan of "sudsy" cleansers, albeit this one is pretty gentle. Anyway, this face cleanser doesn't work for me. There are many other FAB products I will continue to purchase, like their moisturizer and acid pads. I am really stuck on oil cleaners - I much prefer them to cleaners like this one.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was very disappointed that this cleanser left my sensitive, combo skin dry and tight. I tried it for two nights and then discontinued. I know from past experience that feelings of tightness or dryness after cleansing spell trouble- it means that my skin's moisture barrier is being stripped, and even though you can restore a temporary feeling of comfort by applying moisturizer, over time your skin can become dehydrated and sensitized. Not good!

I really like that this cleanser has no fragrance, and I am enjoying many of First Aid Beauty's products, however I would advise caution with this cleanser if you have dry, combo or very sensitive skin.