Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

I used this for the first time just now and I’m shocked. I was certain that I would be making an appt tomorrow with my stylist to fix a f*ck up. I used the demi-permanent 4N shade, which was close to the same color in another brand my hair stylist had used on me. I had about an inch of roots, and my natural hair color is about a level 7. My goal was to darken my roots and refresh my overall color. I mixed the color with the ion 10 volume developer (2 oz color to 4oz developer). I sectioned my hair and used a brush and bowl to put the dye on a section at a time, then I rubbed it all in like you would shampoo. I left it in for 30 mins after doing a strand test on a small section underneath my hair. I could tell before I even washed it out after 30 mins that everything was going to turn out ok. I rinsed it and washed it, and then I used L’Oréal damage erasing balm to condition. After blow drying and using my usual leave-ins, it looked pretty darn ok. My roots were blended with the rest of the hair and it is all pretty even. It’s not super shiny and soft, but it doesn’t feel more damaged either. I’m pretty happy with it. I think next time I will use permanent on the roots though. I would buy this again for sure.

on 6/4/2017 10:57:00 AM

Do not buy this product and expect to get the color from the swatch. I decided to go for 7WR, applying it over my very light brown hair, expecting to get an orange-auburn color. Instead, I got very close to black ! I will not use this product again as it is deceiving.

on 8/25/2016 7:57:00 PM

I deleted previous favorable review because as I have continued to use it (pale ash blond) on my brassy incorrectly hairlighted hair (virgin hair level 6) I have seen that it actually LIGHTENED my virgin grow out hair one shade to made my virgin hair a brassy orange...I had no idea it could do this!! Horrible!! That sets me back in growing out my subdued natural haircolor for many more months. Am disappointed. However, on previously highlighted hair; yes, beware, it can darken a LOT, but, used with care and proper timing, it is a good product. Comments appreciated~. Thx. (PS: I used 10 volume developer only.)
...Spent time and thoughts studying WHAT was lightening my precious virgin ash blond hair and have discovered it may have NOT been any Ion demi, but John Frieda cool blond gloss...Have read it can/will lighten natural color..even one shade lighter on fine (level 6) hair can turn it ORANGE. Darn.

on 2/21/2017 2:08:00 AM

I like this as a way to cover my grey; its long lasting but not permanent, and adds a little shine. I also appreciate being able to customize my shade by mixing different shades - each tube lasts awhile and so I keep a couple of colors on hand and mix fresh each time and tweak the shade as needed. One big warning- the color goes on darker than the swatch , and I recommend going 2 shades lighter than the result you want. I'm about a level 4-5 naturally, and I buy the dark blonde or medium blonde (level 6-7) to get a medium brown. The level 5n made my hair REALLY dark brown (level 2, maybe 2.5-3)

My hair is naturally about a level 5 brunette with neutral undertones, some gold, some ash. Pretty neutral. It pulls orange when lifted though. I recently have been getting some grays at the young age of 24. It's probably genetics but I was over seeing the stark white hairs against my dark natural color. So a couple months ago I got highlights. They looked good at first, but over time they began looking more brassy and still were not blending the gray well. So I decided to color over my half virgin half highlighted hair with a Demi. I chose the color 6n dark natural blonde because of the previous reviews warning to pick a lighter shade. I wish I would have chosen a 7 level because it has come out too dark. Also, the undertones are quite red. My hair is down to my waist so I bought two packages of color and did a 1:1 ratio with 10 volume developer which is the suggestion for 100% gray coverage. My grays are still slightly visible despite the 1:1 ratio. They look more like highlighted strands which doesn't exactly look right compared to the DARK head of hair they lie against. I guess it's because the white hairs turned the dark natural blonde the color is but color on color made the rest of my hair go to about a level 3 or 4. If I redo my hair in the future, I will choose a level 7, more ash, and probably do a 1:2 ratio instead. It's a good product but with how incredibly off the swatches are, I am happy it isn't permanent and honestly can't wait until it starts to fade. Now I'm just scared it will fade to an awful red color because of how red it looks when light hits it! It wasn't even from the red copper line of colors to choose from.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I wanted dark brown hair and choose the medium golden brown and used the sensitive scalp volume 10 developer. My hair feels soft, the color is just the right dark brown I wanted, and the color has depth and vibrancy.

on 12/6/2015 11:56:00 PM

Important note: As other reviews state, this runs dark. Just how dark may vary depending on your hair's health and porosity. If you are buying for the first time, choose a shade 2 levels lighter than the color you want to achieve, strand test, and then adjust if necessary.

This is the only at home hair color I've used, so I don't have much basis for comparison. But it covers my grays, lasts for about a month (standard for a demi), doesn't irritate my scalp, and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

My natural hair color is shoulder length level 5 ash brown with 20% gray. I've experimented with a variety of different formulas that I liked, but am currently using 1oz 5N +1/2oz 6WR + 1/4 oz 4RV + 3.5 oz developer. It produces a really pretty, natural looking level 4 warm brown with red and faint gold undertones.

I purchased this in the shade 9na. Since i heard demis run dark, i was expecting a level 7 or 8. I applied this all over my blonde roots to create an subtle ombre effect. After 10 or 15 min, i noticed the color turning into a sandy brown so i rinsed it out. My results were a toned ashy blonde. It was no darker than before. This is a nice shade to tone brassy blondes. Ill use this to tone next time i bleach!

on 6/20/2016 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I had very light brown hair with a ton of red tones from previous lightening. I used 6n with red/gold corrector and 10 vol developer. I wanted to go a bit darker, medium brown. I spoke to the employee at Sally and she first suggested 5n, but after I explained how porous my hair was and I knew Ion went dark easily, we decided on 6n. 6n is "dark blonde". I used a 1:1 ratio just like the instructions stated for "deepening."

The Sally employee told me to leave it on for 45 minutes. My strand test was on for 30 minutes and turned brown. It seemed fine, so I applied it on my whole head. I did the roots first since they were the most red. Then I did the lengths and rinsed after 30 minutes. My hair was jet black.

After more research the two things I would suggest to prevent this are to leave it on porous hair for a very short time, and/or use a protein filler. I always read reviews that said "OMG IT TURNED MY HAIR BLACK" and thought they just didn't know what they were doing. Well, I'm not a professional, but I'm also not a dummy, and yes, it turned my hair black too.

I couldn't believe a blonde hair dye turned my hair that dark. I expected a brown. The only reason I gave it two stars was because I had used their high lift blondes years ago and they were awesome. But I would never recommend this brand if you have porous hair and do not want to go very dark.

I got this in the shade 4rv to help tone down the hot pink roots I got from using L'oreal HiColor Magenta. That was an error on my part as I've used it plenty before except this time I used a higher level developer (40 instead of my usual 30/20) and left it on my roots for a few minutes too long. So the lengths of my hair were a beautiful red velvet cake red shade but the roots were a bit of a brighter pink. Nothing unbearable or anything but I wanted to even it out. So I went back to Sally's and used the hair samples to find a shade that matched my lengths and this one, 4rv burgundy brown, was the closest. All I had to do was mix 1 tablespoon of the color with 1oz of Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer Crème 10 volume and use my tinting brush to apply it to my roots. Left it on for 15 minutes, then rinsed and applied my usual conditioner mix (Matrix Conditioning Balm + Manic Panic Vampire Red for color depositing) all over and let that sit for 10 minutes in the shower. Now my roots and hair are all the same color! This is a life saver. And I have enough for several more applications after this inevitably fades since it's a demi perm. Cheap, does its job and does it well. What more could I ask for?