Filtered by hair type : Other

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/26/2010 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I've been taking zinc (50mg) everyday for about a week now and it has given me great results so far. My skin is less oily(this really amazed me since my skin gets oily really fast) and i get less breakouts. It also seems to dry out pimples faster.

Well, I can say that my acne has disappeared completely since I started taking zinc (50mg/day) two weeks ago. I have suffered from hormonal acne for about 10 years (since I was 13). I know that it is hormonal acne because when I was only birth control pills for two years, my skin was very clear and I wasn't even diligent with my skin care routine and still had beautiful skin. I switched to an IUD for many reasons, but the lack of hormones meant my acne came back full force (the only downside to quitting HBC). I have been struggling for a year now to regain control. I have tried BP gel, which did work for a long while, but over time I had to use more and more to keep the results. My skin was drying out and becoming more sensitive to the sun. Plus, I was not happy with the idea that BP causes premature aging. I then tried Apple Cider Vinegar, applied topically. It worked pretty well. I was still getting pimples, but not as often, and they weren't as large. Unfortunately, my boyfriend put his foot down. He said after many weeks that he couldn't stand the smell anymore and that he could smell it on me all day. With some reluctance, I quit, fearing that my acne would come back.

Flash forward to now. I decided to give Zinc supplements a try. I have been on 50mg daily. They have changed my life. My skin is completely clear, and my boyfriend has mentioned several times how radiant it looks. Red marks from recent breakouts are fading very quickly (as Zinc helps wounds heal) and I also feel great about the increased immune function which will hopefully prevent me from getting suck during flu season.

I just bought 30mg supplements, and after two more weeks of being on the 50mg, I will move down to 30mg and hope that the results stick. If that works, I will continue to move down, to possibly only 15-20mg a day. I'll give an updates as I switch doses. The less Zinc I can take daily, the better.

A FEW WORDS ON TAKING ZINC...
1. It will make you a bit queasy if you take it on an empty stomach. Make sure you take it right after a meal to prevent that. I also like to take it with Kefir, not water. I don't know why but that helps prevent me from feeling sick. Probably because Kefir is thick and fills you up, and also helps along digestion.
2. DO NOT TAKE OVER 50mg/day. Remember to factor in any Zinc you are getting from a multi-vitamin or other supplements you may be taking. Too much zinc can be toxic. It's recommended that after the initial higher doses of 50mg, you move to a lower dose over time.
3. Copper, another essential mineral for you body, competes with Zinc. Please take a copper supplement SEPARATELY (approx 12 hours later) of 2mg. This means if you take your Zinc supplement with breakfast, take your Copper supplement with dinner, or vice versa.

As with all supplemental regimens, please check with your doctor before starting. I hope this information helps, and I hope that Zinc works for you. Good luck!