Bobbi Brown Caviar Ink

Caviar Bobbi Brown LinerBobbi Brown Gel Ink Liner

4.4

on 9/22/2012 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased BB's gel liner in Chocolate Shimmer in Dubai two months ago and I still love the smoothness and ease of application. I was sold on Stila's bronze eye pot but the chocolate shimmer really makes my brown eyes stand out. I have never felt sexier in an eyeliner. If you are hesitant to spend the extra money like I was, I can tell you that I have no regrets and will do it again and again.

on 6/17/2012 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My first Bobbi Brown purchase, and I can't believe what i have been missing out on. I have used several other brands of the creamy gel eyeliner, and I am a huge fan of MAC fluidline. But THIS has it beat when it comes to application. For some reason, this goes on much smoother and easier than Fluidline. The Caviar color is perfect; I am fair and red headed and this is black but a soft black, not harsh or deep black at all, but definitely not brown or grey. I will buy this again in other colors, I am so impressed!

on 10/23/2011 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

There is something about this product that I think I'm missing out on.
My partner recently took me out for our anniversary the other night, and all I wanted to do was look beautiful.
I had no eyeshadows on, I only had Bobbie Brown Gel Liner in Caviar Ink and YSL Faux Cils mascara as my eye makeup.
This flaked like crazy! I was soo disappointed. The content in my jar was rather dry, it didn't apply as great as I hoped for. I remember I had to dig my brush in the jar just for some product.
I knew the flaking was not from my mascara, I used my mascara religiously and never had that problem.
To me this can never compare to my MAC Fluidline, and seriously I hate Napoleon Perdis product soo much but, I'm not hesitant to say that even the Napoleon Perdis China Doll Liner is much better then this when it was still usuable(Napoleon Perdis China Doll Liner starts off great and then the content dries up later, but this is dry from day one).
I feel as though I'm missing out on something with Bobbi Brown, I've made 2 purchase from Bobbi Brown and both are horrific, and to top things off its expensive.

My favorite eyeliner ever. My everyday is Espresso but I wanted to try Caviar too since they are similar. What the cosmeticians told me was that Caviar is between Espresso and Black, like a soft black.

Regardless of what color you want, buy this eyeliner. I love it so much and if you don't break the pot it will last a long time. My old one lasted 7 months until I accidentally broke it but there was more than half the product left and it didn't seem to dry out, flake, or lose its color at all.

Espresso and Caviar look very similar in the mirror and in the pot, but in pictures and certain lighting the Caviar looks darker and pretty much black while the Espresso looks deep brown.

I wear Espresso for casual/everyday but sometimes I want a slightly more dramatic look yet I find black to be too harsh unless I'm going super glam, which I rarely do. Black also sometimes looks too cool or grayish, especially a soft black liner, but this is warm and the undertones are brownish, so you don't get the charcoal look but a true soft warm black, which is much prettier on most people in my opinion.

All in all, Espresso is like a deep blackened shade of brown, while Caviar is like a slightly brownish shade of black.

Caviar is a great universal color. If you are the type who doesn't look overdone in real black, this would be a good casual/everyday color for you as it is still black but warmer and softer. If you are the type who finds black harsh for everyday, I'd say get this for a fancy occasion and a brown shade like Espresso or a step lighter for everyday, as it still looks black but softer than the typical black.

Also, It won't look washed out or reddish in pictures the way brownish eyeliner tends to do, and I found that Espresso is great but it tends to come out lighter and slightly reddish tinted in pictures than it looks in person.

For some reason this shade seems to glide on more quickly and deeply than Espresso, but that's probably just because it's a darker shade.

on 4/12/2011 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

My HG almost black liner! I already have Espresso, which I LOVE and is my goes-w-all-eye-looks e/l. Got Caviar Ink cuz I wanted an almost black e/l for more oompf. Goes on smooth and lasts all day, even through a workout. This is good for a nude e/s cat eye look without being too harsh (sometimes black is too cool and harsh on me) . It makes my dk. brown eyes richer and brings out the gold. I'm lt-med asian with yellow undertones, dk. brown hair and eyes.
EDIT: I caved and bought Black Ink for my winged cat eye days. Black Ink is richer and makes for a better cat eye. BUT, I still love Caviar Ink:)

on 4/2/2011 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Thanks to the MUA reviews, I bought the BB gel liner again. This time in Caviar Ink. I love it, makes my brown eyes look so bright and dramatic. I absolutely love this stuff and would be again and again. Thank you to the reviewer who provided the information this only lasted 10 months. You may not use it up after that time period, but best to toss, no risk for bacteria. The TM liner was awful compared to this. Gel liners are the absolute best. Thanks BB.

on 10/29/2010 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I purchased Caviar based on MUA reviews. I already own a couple BB gel liners, so I had high expectations and high hopes. Shortly after Caviar arrived, I dipped my brush into the gel and tightlined the top lid; then I used what remained on the brush to tightline my bottom lids -- just at the lash line, keeping off the waterline and away from my tear ducts. My first impression was Yuck. What a boring and weird dark brown.

I don't look great in brown liners (Mahogany Ink is an exception) because many of them contain too much warmth. Caviar seemed quite unexciting, similar to brewed French Roast coffee grounds or even like the black pine mulch in my gardens. But then I caught sight of myself in a mirror and thought how great my eyes looked. Not how great my makeup looked (which is what I think when I see my reflection wearing Indigo Ink), but how bright and alert and shiny and wide open my eyes appeared, and how perfect and dark and defined were my lashes, even when I wasn't wearing mascara.

Looking at the color again, I see your basic brownish-black mascara, which is the color I wear on a daily basis. Caviar seems like it would be great on fair-skinned, cool-toned ladies, as it provides nice contouring without looking harsh, but I see no reason why it would not work on all skin and eye colors. Caviar is a definite keeper.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

This is a very unique color, its not black nor is it brown, almost like a dark grey.Its perfect for an everyday look, not too bold yet very elegant.I plan to buy Bobbi Brown from here on out.This color came out with the Ivy league Collection June 2009.

on 8/12/2009 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I haven't worn a Bobbi Brown Longwear gel liner in years. I bought Black Ink back when I was first starting out with eyeliner and, well, it was pre-UDPP so the results were disastrous.

I have not been able to wear eyeliner all summer because I have heavy monolids so all eyeliners end up on my upper lids if it didn't already end up on my lower lids. Hourglass Calligraphy liner doesn't smudge on me but it's not easy to apply and can look "dry" on me. I really wanted to give Bobbi Brown another try since Caviar Ink is the perfect everyday liner shade for me. I'm an N25 and am light but really not that pale. However, I wear very neutral colors for work (think MAC Brule, Era, and Blackberry) so black eyeliner looks a little harsh to me. Why not wear brown? My problem is that I don't like brown liner either since most brown liners are too brown and I don't think brown is neutral enough. A brown liner doesn't look right with a plummy or cool taupe eye palette. At least, not to me.

This is why Caviar is perfect. It's not quite black but is definitely not a brown and has no warm undertones. It's just a perfect neutral off-black.
I wore Caviar on the hottest day of the year and I only had a little smudging on my lower lashline at the end of the day. If it had been any other liner (even MAC Fluidline), my liner would've ended up all over my lids so smudging is normal for me. The key is how much smudging.

Please also note that Bobbi Brown doesn't get all the credit. By prepping my lids with UDPP and sticking to matte and satin shadows and then going the extra step and setting my undereye concealer (waterproof, smudgeproof MUFE Full Cover) with BeneFit Powderflage and MAC Blot, I was able to make the most out of an already fabulous eyeliner. Beauty isn't effortless...for some of us, anyway.

on 7/4/2009 4:23:00 PM

I have been looking for a dark brown/black eyeliner that is easy to apply, lasts and is not harsh-looking. I think caviar ink is the best I have found. I have several Bobbi Brown gel liners and this is now my new favorite.

I used Chocolate Shimmer Ink for a long time but now I will use this for everyday because it is darker and has no shimmer. The formula itself has been reviewed by others so I won't add more here, but this is a great everyday color for those of us who feel that they can't really carry off black liner successfully without feeling 'made-up'. I bought Graphite ink as a black substitute before but this is warmer and I like it better for a basic no-fail liner. I will buy this again if I run out but I have never done that with any of her other liners.