La Roche Posay Effaclar H Compensating Soothing Moisturizer

La Roche Posay Effaclar H Compensating Soothing Moisturizer

3.5

AQUA / WATER SQUALANE GLYCERIN CYCLOHEXASILOXANE PROPYLENE GLYCOL BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII / SHEA BUTTER CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE PEG-100 STEARATE GLYCERYL STEARATE PEG-20 STEARATE BISABOLOL TEA-CARBOMER AMMONIUM POLYACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE DISODIUM EDTA HYDROXYPALMITOYL SPHINGANINE TETRASODIUM EDTA XANTHAN GUM CETYL ALCOHOL STEARYL ALCOHOL MYRISTYL ALCOHOL T-BUTYL ALCOHOL CITRIC ACID TOCOPHEROL SODIUM BENZOATE PHENOXYETHANOL METHYLPARABEN PROPYLPARABEN PARFUM / FRAGRANCE

on 6/25/2016 12:23:00 PM

Don't buy this if your skin is sensitive! Try a sample first.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought this product last year on a whim since the skin around my nose and mouth was horribly dry and flaking thanks to LRP Effaclar Duo +. I only used it around the dry areas but it didn't do very well so I left it in my skin care graveyard for a year. I decided to give it another go around this March since I ran out of my Nivea Soft creme and my skin, thanks to the changing weather from winter to spring, began acting up again and dried like crazy so I need some moisturizer (and tbh I was super broke).

I always wear The Body Shop's Tea Tree Lotion in the morning but alone it doesn't moisturize very well, especially for my dehydrated tropical skin (that European climate screws up), so I put a thin layer of this moisturizer on top of the TBS Tea Tree Lotion to compensate the lack of moisture that I need. It does quite well in drier weathers and make my foundation goes smoothly and without it, my foundation looked like crap. It makes my skin a bit oily but I don't really mind since I prefer to have a healty, glowing skin than dull, chapped one. I'm currently laying it off since we're entering summer and the TBS Tea Tree Lotion alone suffices, but I'll definitely grab it back again once we enter the drier months.

To Read all 59 Reviews, Login or Join

Well, I use tretinoin based gel (0,025) to combat acnes and it dries my skin terribly (but it works!) Gradually my skin has became so dry that it hurts when I smile or wash my face... My dermatologist recommended this products to soothe and hydrate my skin. It is a very emollient cream which makes my combination skin greasy if I use it in the daytime! That's why I prefer to use it only at night. I dont like the ingredients (bought in Europe) but it relieves my skin so much that I'm going to keep using it as long as my acne treatment goes on... If I can find a similar product with same effect, I can think about switching.

I first discovered this moisturiser after a prolonged course of antibiotics (3+ years) had significantly dried out my formerly oily skin to the point of tightness and itching, particularly around my forehead. I was impressed to find a face cream specifically designed for the exact problem I was experiencing so I bought it around two years ago and have been using it ever since.
I'd describe it as a light to mid-weight texture (a fraction denser than Cerave PM lotion, for example), that absorbs well but remains slightly tacky for a while after applying. I credit Effaclar H for resolving the discomfort and irritation I was experiencing, as since using it regularly my skin has improved greatly, both in texture and appearance.
I use it almost every night and it makes my skin noticeably softer and smoother come morning. On occasions when I've used an alternative I can definitely notice a unfavourable difference so I've taken to ensuring I never run out.
Another plus is that I can use this around my eye area without any irritation occurring, thus eliminating the need for a separate eye cream - result!
On a final note, some other reviewers had complained about the level of fragrance in this product. I had never even noticed a fragrance and had assumed it was fragrance-free. I've just double-checked my current tube and to my astonishment there is in fact a very light scent, which dissipates almost immediately upon application. I'm pretty sensitive to overly perfumed cosmetics coming anywhere near my face (I recently donated 3 tubes of lip balm to a friend having almost gagged at the smell) but we're all different so I'd suggest, as with most things; try before you buy if you can.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

This is the worst product ever.
I recently started using Obagi Night renewal cream which causes abit of unsightly peeling so I was looking for the something which would help calm and control the skin during the day.
Effaclar H sounded good, said it was designed for these kinds of situations.
I used Effaclar H mainly around my chin area as that was where I had the most peeling. Worst mistake ever!!
Two weeks after using it my chin broke out with the biggest most painful acne cysts ever. They were HUGE and very painful. They were just coming 1 after another. Had 5 huge cysts in total and they've left me with bumps and red scars. I even had to miss a very important engagement because of how unpleasant they looked. I've never experienced acne such as this before, even as a teenager. I would have rather had the little bit of peeling if I knew this would have happened. Really scared to use this.

on 1/19/2016 3:54:00 AM

It burns on my sensitive acne-prone skin, and irritates eye area too. Never finish the tube:(

on 1/15/2016 3:21:00 AM

I really like this product as it is indeed very soothing, definitely suitable for those who follow acne treatments since that is how I started using it and it is definitely suitable for sensitive skin.

However, I think that since my face gets dryer in winter, this does not do the job very well. I need to apply quite a bit of it and as a result i'm out of it even more quickly, which brings me to the next point. I don't like the fact that it is only 40ml and doesn't come out in a larger size. That said, most moisturizers are in that size spectrum. This is not the case only for wintertime as even during summer i'm out of it in 1,5 months or so and it costs around 10 euro, which is not super expensive but I can do without paying 10 euro per month for a moisturizer. The price though is not too bad given that it is La Roche Posay and pretty good quality. I am also not fond of its packaging since it makes it difficult to squezze out the remaining product once you have less than half left.

I have repurchased it many times and might do so in the future but for now i am trying out one from Avene.

on 8/27/2015 4:41:00 PM

"soothing", really??! this actually burned my sensitive skin. contains too much alcohol i guess. fragranced too. they really need to stop claiming that their products are aimed at sensitive skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is THE BEST moisturizer for acne prone skin. I have been using it for years. I apply it morning and night on my face, and it keeps my skin super hydrated, without ever breaking me out. I have tried so many moisturizers out there and have never found anything that compares to this one. My skin is hydrated all day, and never feels dry. It is really great, and I recommend it to any one who has acne prone skin. I love La Roche Posay, they are such an amazing brand. I also use Effaclar cleanser to wash my face. Thank you for making this cream! Please keep making it!!!

I have dry skin, but this stuff works amazingly. It has the sort of texture that means it gives a smooth, glowy finish and is perfect as a base before applying makeup. It really does sort out dry patches or skin that's a bit dull from the weather. Have already purchased a backup!