Jane Iredale Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

Jane Iredale Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder
Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

3.8

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14%, Zinc Oxide 6%. Ingredients: Mica, Boron Nitride, Zinc Stearate, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pomegranate Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Chromium Oxide Greens.

on 8/24/2017 11:56:00 AM

Awesome product!! I am 43, have oily/combi skin and this is just so perfect! it does not sit into my lines and my skin looks so good,.so natural and i could go.an entire day without bloting. in fact i dont even need to touch up. through the day. My only complaint is the high price for such tiny bit of product ..

I put a "no" on would I buy this again because Physicians Formula makes an awesome dupe of this with their Mineral Wear, Talc Free Loose Powder. The only problem is, their colors are not as vast as Jane Iredale. The Jane Iredale loose foundation provides light to medium coverage just like Physicians Formula. I wear the color Ivory and sometimes I wear Bisque. It does oxidize, which is why I bought Ivory. But, if you can find your color with Physicians Formula, then save your money, honey because the coverage is the same, it's also highly sweatproof and it has mineral SPF. With PF I wear soft ivory which is a bit dark, but it does not oxidize, so it works. It's just a tad dark, not so much. Translucent is too yellow and not at all translucent.

on 5/21/2016 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have tried many, many mineral foundations over the years. This is by far one of the best, especially as I get older and my skin gets even drier! Amazing Base doesn't settle into my fine lines or make my skin look flaky. I do set it with a hydrating mist. Yes, it is very expensive. But I only use a tiny bit at a time. Plus it doubles as a really good concealer and primer for eyeshadows. I don't think I am super pale, but I use Bisque, which is one of the lightest colors. Bisque is a "warm" tone, which balances my cool, pinkish skin out nicely. I do recommend either finding a salon or store that carries the brand, or asking for samples to get a good color match. Jane Iredale's customer service is amazing, truly the best I have ever experienced. They will send you samples, exchange products, whatever it takes to get you what you need. That is one of the reasons I am going to stay loyal to this brand. I used to love Alima Pure when it came to all things mineral make up, but wow- lately I have had awful customer service. I am willing to pay more for Jane Iredale for the quality and for being valued as a customer!

on 1/7/2016 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have the amazing base in warm silk, which is slightly darker than I would like. ( I'm nc20). It is yellow undertone. Without a good primer to smooth over my dry skin, this foundation accentuates dryness and texture, which obviously looks ugly. Coverage is light. (I have not tried to see if this builds up for more coverage because what little product I used already did not look good so didn't want to pile more on). It might cover a little bit but it doesn't really make the skin look nice. It's a bland finish. Nothing special. If I look in mirror closely it seems to fill in the pores but when I step back, you can still see the pores. Matte. Even though I don't like the pure pressed without a primer, the pure pressed foundation is better than the amazing base, in my opinion.

on 12/12/2015 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am very confused about this product. I get no coverage whatsoever out of it. I can't see it on my skin, but not in the good way where makeup literally looks like skin, in the way where my skin isn't evened out or covered in the least. And I am loading the brush quite a bit and applying, repeatedly! I'm very curious as to how you all do it. I have tried the Handi brush and a variety of synthetic dome/kabuki/flat brushes. None works. I've been a huge fan of Everyday Minerals for a while but wanted to switch things up and maybe try something fancier, but I really don't get this product. For me so far the Pressed Powder performs much better.

on 7/21/2017 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I struggled with this powder until I figured out the right brush to use. I know the Handi brush is what you're supposed to use with it (and I've read several reviews from people who confirmed this), so I ordered it. However, I get really great results when I apply this powder with an Elf powder brush. Buildable and luminous. Beautiful!

As far as cons, I wish the packaging had a sifter so that you could keep the powder from going everywhere.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Good power but not HG. Good coverage but not as pigmented as Bare Minerals although you can use it to conceal areas with a smaller power brush. Doesn't seem to break me out(so much better than Bare Minerals in that regard).

Yet, it is very expensive and it's hard to find the right colour. I'm using ivory(i'm quite pale) and find it too white/light. Yet, light beige is far too pink and dark for me. To remedy this i've mixed light beige and ivory together in a container-yet this is a bit of a pain.

The packaging isn't that great either as it's hard to control how much powder comes out at a time.

on 9/25/2015 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG foundation! So much better than anything else i EVER used. Several other mineral foundations i tried needed buffing in which is too harsh a treatment for my extremely sensitive skin (tho I haven't tried the Tarte one). Several mineralized powders either irritated the skin (EsteeLauder sumptuous) or oxydized (Vichy, tho otherwize it was very good, shame it was discontinued). Between the two JI powders (AMazingBase and PurePressed), I in any case prefer the loose Amazing Base, for reasons:
- AB gives very buildable sheer to rather full coverage - and looks good all in the skin-but-better way for solid 6-8 hours even without blotting. The PurePressed looks good only when worn sheer to light coverage but gets makeup-y visible when built up to medium and unacceptably so in medium-plus; full coverage is out of the question; gets oily muuch sooner than the AB, so wears without blotting 4-6 hours tops
- AB can be used as a concealer, just as they promise (use damp brush, i find synthetic Sigma E55-like work best), PP can't. However, for setting a creme/liquid concealer the PP works better (my guess it's due to it's being more sheer and kinda more finely milled)
- the PP packaging is surely more portable and less messy, no argument here, however the powder is quite soft, so I hit pan in the middle (hate the look:(- soo inelegant) with my kabuki brush after only about a month of daily use, and it took me another 3 months to finish it off, totaling in a little less than 4 months of use. Whereas the AB lasts me for 5-6 months - definitely longer than the PP, and never looks half-used up :P. And I manage the messy loose powder packaging with a transparent plastic protective insert (like those they give with many other powder products, incl. the PP, but not the AB!) and a simple sponge about the size of the AB case - makes it totally portable!
So, if choosing between Amazing Base and PurePressed (ie not buying both): the PP is for very good skin which never needs even medium coverage, just a little tone and texture perfecting (guess then it'l last longer than 4 months, too), and with a nice portable case. The AB is a very universal product.
Both give a nice healthy skin glow. But you could overbuff the PP and get shiny face, esp if you try to build it up - never the case with the AB. Neither irritates in the least bit or breaks out; however, the AB seems to be more soothing, perhaps because of a little more zinc oxide in it. Neither needs buffing in (you know, the circular motions), so no irritation from application. Very good ingredients! Don't ever oxidize and go orange, altho there is naturally some very littly shade darkening when it blends with the skin natural oils (or your moisturiser). Blends in very very well, no ashy powdery look. As with any mineral foundation, it needs no special cleanser to completely take it off - a Bioderma sensibio water does the job perfectly when i redo my make up before going out after work. And the skin never looks tired (as in makeup overload) when i take it off after a long day.
I use MUFE kabuki and liquid (!) products straight kabuki (#110), and the Sigma E55 for concealer (dry, or damp for extra coverage - tho beware of overdoing it as when it'll dry out, it might set like a very evident powder pool). Don't like that JI sells natural hair brushes.
The shade selection is alright (the PP runs lighter that the AB in the same shade) - i use Bisque, in AB it's a bit darker than my face skin tone, still good. However, there is a very limited choice for the fair skinned (i.m about nc10) - basically, you only have Bisque and Ivory that you could mix to customize the shade, but that is only possible with the loose AB. There's also Light Beige marketed as cool fair-light, but it runs SO pink when on the whole face - when I swatched it, it actually looked quite exactly like my cheek, so I first got that one instead of Bisque. So, when I applied it all over, it boosted my neutral/cool complexion up to the point of a pink piglet. So, when in their JI Shade Selector they say to steer away from their cool range if you are prone to redness of any origin - they do speak the truth. (Had to give the Light Beige to my friend, who wanted to lighten and neutralize her yellow light-medium complexion, never heard from her about any sort of success with that :))).
I also own a La Prairie cellular pressed foundation, which is very demanding to the condition of the skin, or it will accentuate dry flakes, and quite tricky to use if you need to conceal little smth as you can't really layer it, incl. on top of a concealer, or it will stand out from the rest of the face never blending in. And can look powdery if you go heavy handed. But it is very-very densely pressed, and I barely scratched the surface and I used it like 20 times - by that time the PP would be already approaching pan!
I have been using the Amazing Base for about two years, went thru like 4 of them, and definitely repurchasing in the future.

P.S. Just decided to add this (1/2017): several months ago I finally gave in and splurged on an Ivory which I started mixing into my Bisque to make the shade closer to my nc10 complexion and also my lighter-than-nc10 body. My current mixture is about 1/4-1/3 of Ivory.

on 10/27/2014 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

It does make me laugh in a tad malicious tone when I see ladies that do not know their skin type or color or this or that actually taking the time to diss a product. I do not think they know what they are doing.
I am 41 and have normal skin and ruddy cheeks, red spots under eyes, and flaky sensitive side nose flare ups. I use this on top of a foundation or the glow time bb.(I reviewed) I think this is an nice powder. I had tried pur minerals, which seemed to be a bit off this year. I also think that over time, it seemed to make my skin look worse. (congested sluggish and orange peely between the lips and cheek/jaw) I have also tried La bella donna, which is too sheeny looking, but nice just under eyes etc. This powder is superior to both. It provides full coverage on top of a bb or foundation, and gives the proper sheen and the proper satin along the contours. I have gotten too heavy by mistake, but usually I do tap my brush, and it looks really nice and finished. I have not had any problems with my skin and this item. I will be getting more. I am using light beige or ivory. Lighter for darker lip looks etc.

on 8/15/2014 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Love this product. It does have cons but its worth it for me. So this product is going to oxidize on you. It goes on light and depending on how oily you are, it may get darker. I'm okay with this since this makeup never breakouts me out and I tested it out to find the perfect shade. It last forever and I use it only in the places I need it. I don't buff onto my entire face.

Pros:
Great for Acnegenic/Sensitive/Oily Skin
Better Ingredients vs. Other Mineral Powders
Doesn't Transfer to Clothing As Much as Other Foundations/Powders
Great Shade Selection

Cons:
A Little Expensive
The dispenser packaging should include a twist and tap top similar to Bare Minerals
Probably not that great for dry skin