MAC Cosmetics Studio Finish Concealer

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
MAC Cosmetics Studio Finish Concealer

3.8

on 9/27/2018 2:40:00 AM

This is another great concealer by MAC. I bought it because I wanted something that is easier to apply than Pro Longwear. This stuff is definitely easy to apply and you only need the tiniest amount so it is great value for money. That tiny pot will last for ages!

This concealer lasts the whole day and gives good coverage. I find it to be particularly suitable for us oily types. As other people have pointed out, it WILL crease under the eyes, which is the reason I won’t give it 5 lippies. You will need to keep your under eye area well moisturized (which most people should be doing regardless ;) ) but even then it will crease a bit. But I can live with that.

Good stuff!

on 5/30/2018 9:41:00 AM

I have very dark under eye circles and the occasional isolated red/whitehead pimple and I find this concealer to be one of the best out there in addressing these problem ares. It is very heavy duty but not too cakey and tends to stay put for much of the day. I find it's also a great multitasker: it makes a perfect eyelid primer before applying eyeshadow, and I also apply a small amount around my lips which prevents lipstick from bleeding.

The main con (and it is a big one) is that it creases quite easily under the eyes. You definitely need to keep your skin well moisturized before applying. It's also not the easiest to apply. You can most likely use a brush if you loosen it up with a bit of fluid first, but I tend to simply apply with the pad of my middle finger as this heats it up easily and gives it a looser structure.

It's not the cheapest of concealers but equally it's not one of the most expensive. The packaging is fine and robust, though there's no applicator included, and I've got through at least ten of these without ever breaking the small tub. I've been using this for years and it remains my go-to concealer but I would love to find something that gives me all the pros of it while also addressing the creasing issue.

I use NW20 and find this is the perfect match for my skin. The shade range is fairly decent.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this since 2005 and hence why I would rate this as one of my Top 10 HG products. Let me share with you why....every few weeks since I was a teen I've been getting acne, just the odd spot here and there but without fail always a blemish left behind! All I have to do to make it disappear (until it does of its own accord) is apply a tiny bit of Studio Finish Concealer in NC42 with a tiny 2mm wide arts and craft paint brush (no you didn't misread that!) literally dabbed on the blemish a few times until I can no longer see it. Normal makeup brushes are not fine enough for this imo so an arts/crafts brush for under a dollar from a crafts store works fine for me. I don't wear makeup habitually but this is part of my morning routine I absolutely never ever skip. It lasts until I wash it off in the evening - so long as I don't touch my face, and if that is likely to happen I just be sure to use setting powder, otherwise I'm good.

One pot lasts absolutely years, I think I've only had to buy 3 in all these years so definitely worth it. 13 years on and one of the only products I could not be without. 10/10.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 3/8/2018 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My HG concealer. I have been using this for years and will continue to repurchase. I use the shade NC30 which is pretty close to my natural skin colour on my dark circles and on any other more pigmented areas of my face such as around my mouth and on my forehead. Afterwards, I set my face with powder and that's my base done.

The finish is ultra natural - demi-matte, so even though it's on the very heavily pigmented side, it can still be set with a powder without looking dry and creased. It can also go without being set (if I'm using a lot of product on one concentrated area, a powder will be needed to avoid any potential creasing, but if you're just using a little, no powder is fine.)

Because it's so undetectable (in my experience), it's perfect for the no-makeup makeup look. I do apply and blend with my fingers - this is best for warming up the product and achieving said natural look.

Does not crease (unlike every liquid concealer on me), does not budge. My fave forever!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Erm.. Don't. Use. This. On. Undereyes. EVER! Looks flawless to begin with. The coverage is excellent. But you'll start to look like a wrinkley old leaf in no time. Even after baking with loose powder and applying with a damp beauty blender. Creasing can't be stopped. Save this one for your worst zits. It's amazing for that. I use NC42 which is an orange tone on me, as a colour corrector for my eye bags. Due to the very small amount I use, I don't experience any creasing when using under another liquid concealer. The packaging is very good. And brilliant for travelling. The coverage is pure magic.

I've been using this for years and am only on my second one - it lasts a while. I used to dab this on under my eyes but it's not at all good for that use. It creases easily on that area and it's not creamy enough to apply it without stretching the thing skin under the eyes. I instead now use it just to cover discolouration and pimples. I apply it with a flat concealer brush and then blend it out with a wet Beauty Blender. I usually do this on top of my liquid foundation and beneath my powder. It's a bit orange for me but none of the other colours is a better match so I put Bare Minerals powder concealer on top in a shade a little lighter and that seems to balance it out. It is not oil free and so I find myself blotting multiple times a day. Same kind of quality as Benefit Boi-ing but I actually prefer that.

on 5/26/2017 8:48:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I feel like I have a love/hate relationship with this concealer. I've purchased it several times. I've gotten a few different shades but I right now I think NW10 (I think this is a newer shade introduced this year) seems to work best for my NC15ish skin. Because of the peachyness of the undertones, I prefer NW concealers to cancel out dark circles. Sometimes NCs can turn a bit greenish over a circle. Anyway, I gave this a 3 because while the coverage is wonderful, this creases like mad. At first when you apply it, this looks fantastic and gives excellent coverage. But 5 minutes lately....you have major creases under your eyes. I have found a way to set this so that it doesn't crease on me, but it's a lot of work so I don't wear it that often. I like to dampen a Beauty Blender with Fix +, and then use that to gently roll loose powder over the concealer. I like the KVD loose powder or MAC Mineralize Loose in Light. Again, a lot of effort just to set a concealer, but it does work. Therefore, I mostly just use this for touchups or underneath brows or something. I've noticed too that after you've had this for awhile the formula seems to become drier. Maybe one day they'll change the formula so it doesn't crease as much.I'd say this is best used for blemishes or anywhere that's not under the eyes.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Cool

I've been using this product for a while now and I have formed a love hate relationship with it.

PROS
Long wearing
Full coverage
The product itself has lasted me several months and I haven't hit pan yet.

CONS
It creases terribly - if you have dry under eyes like I do (I have eczema) it will cause them to appear drier than they already are.
Cakey looking/ drying if it's on your face for long periods of time.
Packaging is a bit flimsy - The plastic transparent circle keeps popping out.

If you do have dry skin, it's best to use this without setting powder as it will make you look incredibly dry. The coverage is great and so is the wear so I will admit that I don't mind using the product. Using a hydrating setting spray after application helps with the dryness. I feel that those who don't have dry skin will appreciate this product more.

on 1/31/2017 4:50:00 AM

Before I purchased this product, I was well aware that I could not use it for under eye coverage as it was meant to be a blemish concealer.

I went ahead and purchased it in NC20 and for the most basic of blemishes, dark spots and acne scars it works. However, it just works and does not really blow me away. It's biggest strength is probably the fact that it lasts long and requires just an ample amount to cover a mark, however, I do not recommend this product if you have fairly good skin.

I felt that I was not able to utilize this product to the best of its abilities as it just did not match my skin type needs. As I get older, I now realize the importance of buying makeup products that fit not only your skin tone but as well as your skin TYPE. This does not work well with dry skin and tends to look cakey when I use around my nose or mouth. I do get it to work by applying a small amount of Vaseline on the outlines of my lip area or a facial oil used as a primer before hand. On its own however, this just seems way too dry for me.

Right now, I don't really use it to cover up my marks as I don't have major problem areas. I do however find it particularly useful to carve out my brows and provide me an "Instagram" type of brow. I have also tried it as an eyeshadow primer and it has worked okay for me as well.

Would not repurchase this as I have discovered better products that can do a better job.

on 1/24/2017 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Okay so I have about 8 massive spots on my cheek I'm not sure if it's acne but anyways I found this was amazing to cover them and it worked so well but I had to touch up threw out the day, then the next day I found the spots just got worse and bigger and my pores became massive!! It made the spots so much worse and now they are so big and horrifying not to mention my pores are so big now I would say if you are looking for coverage yes but if you want your skin to just get worse no!