MAC Cosmetics Studio Finish Concealer

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
MAC Cosmetics Studio Finish Concealer

3.9

Not a huge fan of this concealer. The color I have is NW30 and was chosen for me by one of the makeup artists in their store. I don't think its horrible, but I wouldn't rush out to buy it again thats for sure. I find it hard to work with and its a pain to get out of the container once it starts to wear down. It almost needs to be applied with fingers so that the warmth of your fingers make it easier to spread. After using this, I have come to the conclusion that I will pick a liquid tube of concealer over this type any time. Too me this is not worth the money. I personally find many of MAC's products way over priced and hyped. This is one of them.

Blending around the inside corners of your eyes and applying it there is a huge hassle. Seemed to pick up the very fine hairs around that area and highlighted them and even made them look chalky. UGH !!!!! When I buy a concealer I like it to perform around my eye area. As someone else mentioned it seemed to be okay as a eyeshadow primer though. But the again I get just as good results with my ELF shadow primer for a fraction of the cost.

Decent packaging in the MAC way, but my lid cracked just by getting jostled in my makeup bag. No odd smell to report. Just a very blah product to me and not worth the money. Their is better for cheaper or for the same price.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Not a big fan, doesn't cover my dark circles, a lot of creasing too.

on 4/7/2016 8:19:00 AM

This product always annoyed me but recently i found another way of using it!

I always found it to be far to dry for under eye concealer even though the coverage was perfect for covering up those dark circles. It would always just cake!

I stopped using it for around a year and starting using the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer which i love and have already reviewed!

HOWEVER, i have no gone back to using this for extra coverage where i need it & under my eyes!!
Basically i drop the tiniest amount of Manuka Doctor Brightening Oil on the concealer and warm it up and it turns it very creamy and doesn't dry cakey or thick!!!!

So happy i get to use this again!

on 2/9/2016 1:35:00 PM

This concealer has an amazing color range :)
now the bad...
Its doesnt cover well...you can still see a lot of imperfections after you applied it...
clings to dry patches and NEEDS to be set if now itll slide right off!
If you NEVER get dry patches try it ...

on 2/8/2016 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have fair skin that is very thin, I always have very dark circles, and red veins on my eye lids. I've tried many concealers and I always come back to this one.
I use NW20 and I like that it covers very well, and matches my skin tone nicely. I also like that no product is wasted from the container, and it lasts a very long time.
I apply it with my ring finger and tap it in quickly, then use my foundation sponge to go over it.
It's true that it can seem a little dry if your not used to it, so I find using a clean finger to apply it warms up the concealer a bit making it go on smoother. I also apply eye cream or coconut oil to moisturize in the AM which really helps it go on nicer.
I then set it with Benefit Powderflage which helps prevent creasing.
I have tried using a more moisturing concealer like Mac's Mineral/moisturing liquid one, but it just didn't cover well enough (and I haaate the sponge tip and tube packaging, such a waste of product.)
By the end of the day a little bit of blue is still visible under my eyes so am considering trying a more colour correcting concealer in a peach tone to see if that makes a difference.

P.S. I could do with or without the spf, but I kind of prefer it since I wear a vit C eye cream under it which makes my skin extra sensitive to the sun.

*****UPDATE
My bad, I Just realized Benefit Powderflage is dicontinued :( Good thing I still have two jars left.

on 10/26/2015 1:28:00 AM

Oh, Studio Finish... It's one of those products: you either love it or hate it.
I have been using this concealer for many years now - more than 4. It's the only concealer I've been using ever since, but it's time to change and you'll see why.

The positives:
- It's cost efficient. It lasts forever so the price is worth it.
- The packaging is compact, which means I can literally throw it in my pocket and go.
- The coverage is amazing, and this is the main reason why I keep holding on to this. I have severe dark circles (not the darkest in the world, but DARK) and this covers it. Period. You don't need a lot to get it done, so that's why it lasts forever.
- It's long lasting (specially around my eyes, which are not oily) and it tends to stay there for hours if I set it.
- Colour selection, as per usual with MAC products.
- Doesn't seem to oxidise.

The negatives (where should I begin...)
- It breaks me out. Period. I can't use this everyday on my face, because I always get a pimple by the end of the day. That could be either because of its oily consistency (yes, it's oily) or because of the absolutely unnecessary added spf.
- Beware of flashblack (because of spf). I rarely take flash photography and I'm fair, so I don't care.
- Packaging might be practical but it's so so unhygienic.
- It changes texture whitin a few months. It's much more workable when it's new; it's just softer and it blends better. After a while, it becomes harder and more cakey looking.
- This is HORRIBLE if you have dry skin, textured skin or signs of aging. HORRIBLE. RUN TO THE HILLS. And this is precisely why I feel like I have to get another concealer, cause this one's just ain't cutting it for me anymore. I'm only 19, but my undereyes are very difficult to deal with. I have a few lines showing (more than usual for my age, I think) and they're dry. I still haven't found a good moisturiser that keeps my eyes soothed but doesn't feel heavy and I specially haven't found a good moisturiser to use underneath this concealer. I can't use anything heavy or greasy because it looks soooo cakey; can't use anything that's lightly moisturising, because it looks dry and flaky. This also accentuates my lines like NOTHING ELSE. I look 120 when I use this. I find that using a silicone based primer underneath helps a lot, but it didn't solve the problem for me. Keep in mind that I have to use a heavy layer of this because of my darkness.
- It creases like a mofo, so you HAVE to set it, period. But, for the same reasons mentioned above, powdering ages me tremendously, which is bad.
- Only works with fingers. I don't mind it, but I guess most people would find it a negative. I apply it with a thin eyeliner brush in a small triangular shape under my eyes and blend it in with my fingers - this way works the best for me.
- It separates when my skin gets oily. It just either disappears or breaks down in patches.
- It will cling onto EVERY damn dry patch on your face. You have been warned.
- It transfers if it's not set.

Another observation I would like to make: I'm not sure about this yet but I think that using oil based moisturisers underneath this cuts down the wear time quite a bit. It seems to fade faster when I use coconut oil (which is contradictory to Waine Goss' video about prepping the skin for makeup, if you believe him). But I could be tripping.

Basically, I would say that if you're desperate for coverage, this will work for you. If you're worried about texture, skip it. If you're not worried about texture nor too much about coverage, then this could be a great long lasting, practical option.

on 8/26/2015 4:03:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I couldn't live without this concealer! It is amazing for acne scars due to the thick consistency and it covers blemishes like nothing I have ever used before. It lasts for about four months and a little goes a long way.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Probably a very good concealer if you have normal/drier skin. It was far too creamy for my oily skin and slid off after less than an hour.

However, the coverage is good, and it blends nicely. So I do think it is a nice concealer, just not for oily skin.

on 6/28/2015 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have purchased this several times over the past 10 years or so. It is easily one of the best I've ever used. The formula hasn't changed much since the nineties because it has a huge cult following and it's excellent. It comes in a pot with a flip-top lid like the small eyeshadows.

MAC has expanded the range of flesh tones significantly since its inception. I can, and have, actually bought and used 3 different colors over the years. Right now I'm using NW15 for undereye circles because it's a little peachy but NC15 would have been the best choice because it counteracts blue and my complexion is fair. The SA convinced me to get NW15. Both are good colors for me. (I'm Sand in Bobbi Brown.) A few years ago I went through a self-tanning phase and my complexion was a little darker so I used NC20. You may find that you can use more than one color successfully depending on the time of year and what type of flaw you are covering.

Studio Finish Concealer SPF 35 costs $19 and lasts for months because it's so concentrated. I really think it's a good value if you like the texture and coverage.

It is thick. It is FULL coverage. It is not for the faint of heart. Before I discovered Cle de Peau, this was the only concealer I liked and the only one I recommended to friends.

It's a cream concealer that sets to a semi-matte finish. It will cover blemishes. It is opaque enough to cover dark undereye circles. It is a favorite of professional makeup artists. It's the one you want for photographs on special occasions. It applies best with a concealer brush and then you can blend with fingertips. If I'm out doing errands or working, I just use my fingers for touch-ups.

I personally don't have a problem with it creasing, but I don't use a lot of eye cream either. MAC makeup artists usually tell you to set it with powder and this is supposed to prevent it from creasing. I have seen women apply concealer over crow's feet, and then complain about the product. Concealer isn't the best thing for crow's feet. It's made to cover discoloration and zits.

Recently when I had inflamed skin that looked like a rash under my eyes, this was one of the only makeup products I could use. It covered the redness and reminded me of why I fell in love with MAC in the first place. However, if you have rosacea, do test this on a sensitive spot before buying - everyone is different and I have heard a complaint or two of tingling. Try it at the counter to make sure it's safe for you.

As with all concentrated products, I wouldn't call it foolproof - it requires some skill to use it. If you find it's too thick for you, a good concealer with less coverage (but easier to blend) is Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer. That still covers pretty well and comes in a tube with a wand applicator.

on 6/21/2015 10:29:00 AM

I use this in the colour NC20, I find it has very good pigmentation and the texture is quite creamy but dry which is great for my oily skin. I also find that a little goes a long way, so the pot lasts a good few months! (And I have a lot of blemishes!)

I use this on blemishes and under eyes.