MAC Cosmetics Studio Finish Concealer

Filtered by hair type : Other
MAC Cosmetics Studio Finish Concealer

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this since 2005 and hence why I would rate this as one of my Top 10 HG products. Let me share with you why....every few weeks since I was a teen I've been getting acne, just the odd spot here and there but without fail always a blemish left behind! All I have to do to make it disappear (until it does of its own accord) is apply a tiny bit of Studio Finish Concealer in NC42 with a tiny 2mm wide arts and craft paint brush (no you didn't misread that!) literally dabbed on the blemish a few times until I can no longer see it. Normal makeup brushes are not fine enough for this imo so an arts/crafts brush for under a dollar from a crafts store works fine for me. I don't wear makeup habitually but this is part of my morning routine I absolutely never ever skip. It lasts until I wash it off in the evening - so long as I don't touch my face, and if that is likely to happen I just be sure to use setting powder, otherwise I'm good.

One pot lasts absolutely years, I think I've only had to buy 3 in all these years so definitely worth it. 13 years on and one of the only products I could not be without. 10/10.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

This stuff covers so beautifully and doesn’t crease or dry out my under eyes.

I have horribly dry undereye area and creasing is a problem for me with most concealers. I was using Nars creamy radiant concealer before this and it was drying and always creases on me.

I Use a primer before I pat this on after warming up a bit of it on the of my hand, and it works great! The primer i use a the one by Laura Mercier, which doesn’t work for my face but for my undereyes is fine.

It also does a good job on my cheek areas where I have freckles and some spots. For this purpose I use a small point brush.

I love it, but the color I use is nw10, it is a tad orange on me, will switch to nc5 or nc10 the next time

I got it in the pro pan and use it in my z palette, however I will get the pot version the next time, or maybe even the studio finish concealer palette instead.

I set this with my holy grail studio fix powder or if I’m not wearing foundation which is rare, I set with coty airspun.

on 6/19/2017 4:44:00 AM

I've used these concealer for years now. Soft and blendable formula. Good range of colours with different undertones, making it easier to find a perfect match. Can build up coverage, but concealer does move throughout the day. So if you really want the full coverage look that last all day, then you def need to use foundation and setting powders or bring the concealer along for touch-ups. On the pricey side.

on 5/26/2017 8:48:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I feel like I have a love/hate relationship with this concealer. I've purchased it several times. I've gotten a few different shades but I right now I think NW10 (I think this is a newer shade introduced this year) seems to work best for my NC15ish skin. Because of the peachyness of the undertones, I prefer NW concealers to cancel out dark circles. Sometimes NCs can turn a bit greenish over a circle. Anyway, I gave this a 3 because while the coverage is wonderful, this creases like mad. At first when you apply it, this looks fantastic and gives excellent coverage. But 5 minutes lately....you have major creases under your eyes. I have found a way to set this so that it doesn't crease on me, but it's a lot of work so I don't wear it that often. I like to dampen a Beauty Blender with Fix +, and then use that to gently roll loose powder over the concealer. I like the KVD loose powder or MAC Mineralize Loose in Light. Again, a lot of effort just to set a concealer, but it does work. Therefore, I mostly just use this for touchups or underneath brows or something. I've noticed too that after you've had this for awhile the formula seems to become drier. Maybe one day they'll change the formula so it doesn't crease as much.I'd say this is best used for blemishes or anywhere that's not under the eyes.

I buff this in with my flat topped wetnwild brush. I own 2 duos (20/25 & 40/45) & a pot of NC15 the NC15 is for under my eyes & a highlight, the NW-NC20/25 are for blemishes & NW-NC40/45 is for contour. The texture is different it's kind of like stick concealers I really like it thou. The flat top brush works wonderfully & I can't get my fingers into the pot becoz of my nails being so long. This with mac blot powder is all I need for face makeup some days put on brows, a winged eyeliner w mascara & a lipcolor & ur good to go! My fave mac full coverage fdtn is basically a bigger container of this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

PROS:
- pigmentation is rich
- not too emollient for packing on textured skin/imperfections
- perfect warm undertone (other brands please pay attention to how MAC does undertones right)

CONS:
- too dry for undereye

on 10/15/2016 9:32:00 AM

I dont like this, its very drying and doesnt do much for me, its ok for if I have a spot that needs to be covered I bought it months ago, used it a couple of times until I bought a different concealer a few weeks later, I havnt used it much since. Maybe if I had acne prone skin id find it more useful.

on 12/5/2015 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Had I read these reviews before my impulse purchase I might not had bought this at all. The most frequent complaints are: crease (I have flaky skin at certain spots), slip easily (very oily here), sink into lines (hanging to my 'youth') . These are the words I am scared of.

However this is truly an example of Your Mileage May Vary when it comes to cosmetics. There is no way this is highlighting my flakes or slipping away from my skin. I dab some with my finger, warm it up around my wrist, dab it to certain spots, smooth it away with fingers or sometimes Beauty Blender and that's it. I have soft, dewy, luminous skin. Will it fade? Of course, but very subtly without creasing and no settling into lines whatsoever. I am still amazed that this actually work for me while fellow oily ladies are running away from it.

on 10/26/2015 1:28:00 AM

Oh, Studio Finish... It's one of those products: you either love it or hate it.
I have been using this concealer for many years now - more than 4. It's the only concealer I've been using ever since, but it's time to change and you'll see why.

The positives:
- It's cost efficient. It lasts forever so the price is worth it.
- The packaging is compact, which means I can literally throw it in my pocket and go.
- The coverage is amazing, and this is the main reason why I keep holding on to this. I have severe dark circles (not the darkest in the world, but DARK) and this covers it. Period. You don't need a lot to get it done, so that's why it lasts forever.
- It's long lasting (specially around my eyes, which are not oily) and it tends to stay there for hours if I set it.
- Colour selection, as per usual with MAC products.
- Doesn't seem to oxidise.

The negatives (where should I begin...)
- It breaks me out. Period. I can't use this everyday on my face, because I always get a pimple by the end of the day. That could be either because of its oily consistency (yes, it's oily) or because of the absolutely unnecessary added spf.
- Beware of flashblack (because of spf). I rarely take flash photography and I'm fair, so I don't care.
- Packaging might be practical but it's so so unhygienic.
- It changes texture whitin a few months. It's much more workable when it's new; it's just softer and it blends better. After a while, it becomes harder and more cakey looking.
- This is HORRIBLE if you have dry skin, textured skin or signs of aging. HORRIBLE. RUN TO THE HILLS. And this is precisely why I feel like I have to get another concealer, cause this one's just ain't cutting it for me anymore. I'm only 19, but my undereyes are very difficult to deal with. I have a few lines showing (more than usual for my age, I think) and they're dry. I still haven't found a good moisturiser that keeps my eyes soothed but doesn't feel heavy and I specially haven't found a good moisturiser to use underneath this concealer. I can't use anything heavy or greasy because it looks soooo cakey; can't use anything that's lightly moisturising, because it looks dry and flaky. This also accentuates my lines like NOTHING ELSE. I look 120 when I use this. I find that using a silicone based primer underneath helps a lot, but it didn't solve the problem for me. Keep in mind that I have to use a heavy layer of this because of my darkness.
- It creases like a mofo, so you HAVE to set it, period. But, for the same reasons mentioned above, powdering ages me tremendously, which is bad.
- Only works with fingers. I don't mind it, but I guess most people would find it a negative. I apply it with a thin eyeliner brush in a small triangular shape under my eyes and blend it in with my fingers - this way works the best for me.
- It separates when my skin gets oily. It just either disappears or breaks down in patches.
- It will cling onto EVERY damn dry patch on your face. You have been warned.
- It transfers if it's not set.

Another observation I would like to make: I'm not sure about this yet but I think that using oil based moisturisers underneath this cuts down the wear time quite a bit. It seems to fade faster when I use coconut oil (which is contradictory to Waine Goss' video about prepping the skin for makeup, if you believe him). But I could be tripping.

Basically, I would say that if you're desperate for coverage, this will work for you. If you're worried about texture, skip it. If you're not worried about texture nor too much about coverage, then this could be a great long lasting, practical option.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I really wanted to like this concealer! Bought it in the color NC 35 for my NC42 skin tone...I mainly use it under my eye..it does give me full coverage concealing my troubled spots but, it creases so much on me! I tried putting eye cream on first, and applying the concealer after 10mins and then setting it quickly with a powder (ELF HD powder or Airspun translucent powder) but still it always creases on me! Don't know what to do!! Can't even return cause I bought it a while back..but I barely used any product cause I always had the creasing problem!