Revlon Super Lustrous Matte - Really Red

4.6

Isononyl Isononanoate, Trioctyldodecyl citrte, Ozokerite, Silica, Bis-diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Paraffin, Microcrystalline wax, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol esters, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentaerythityl tetrethylhexanoate, Aloe Barbadensis leaf extract, Synthetic wax, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol. May contain: [ /-: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, (CI 77891) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Red 7 Lake (CI 15851), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499) Red 27 Lake (CI 17200) Red 33 (CI 17200), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15895)] 21919

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I know this is one of the highest rated reds by Revlon, but I'm just not feeling the love. It's a brown based matte red that's perfect for a lot of occasions, only slightly drying (especially compared to MAC Mattes) and has no fragrance, so it won't irritate people. The thing is, this color isn't nearly as special as other reds from the same Superlustrous line! I own every single red lipstick from Revlon and this one really doesn't stand out from the crowd. It's almost boring. Ever since I bought it, I've only used it once. Like others said, this is a classic red that suits a lot of people but at the same time, there's nothing special about it. My favorite Revlon reds are Fire&Ice (iconic bright red leaning on coral), Love that Red (bright red without leaning warm or cool, similar to Guerlain Rouge G in Garçon) and Rich Girl Red (sheer warm red). I think everyone needs a red lipstick but this would definitely not be the first one I recommend to anyone.

Stock up! Yes, it's not blue-red, but it's red against my tan skin. As natural as a red could possibly look on my face. Now I just need a lip liner....

To Read all 241 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Should be named Jersey Tomato, not Really Red. A very orangey-toned red; which I noticed immediately through the little see through cap in the drugstore. But I was looking for a special occasion drop dead red and based on the reviews I thought, 5 bucks, I'll try it anyway. That said..

It is not a red for the faint of heart i.e, people who are afraid of reds. As a lifelong wearer red lipstick fan it was still a bit shocking upon application.

Pros: Glamorous, pigmented matte, look at my lips and teeth kind of red. Kinda like old '40's glamour girls. Not a daytime color, but great for going out at night. The tomato coloring actually worked for me anyway and I usually prefer blue toned or totally neutral reds.

Cons: Drying. Uneven fading. Doesn't leave a nice stain like Revlon crème reds (think Love that Red, Fire and Ice), instead leaves an ugly, somewhat blotchy mess.

Really Red 006: what a misnomer! I bought this lipstick hoping for a classic bright, blue-red lipstick and instead discovered a light, burnt orange colour, almost chalky color, on my lips. It's too brick-red, too indefinite a shade, lingering weirdly between orange/brown/red. The color payoff isn't bad, but overall this shade was absolutely not what I expected.

In my opinion, this lipstick shade is better described as "Autumn Red" or "Clay Red"---anything but "Really Red" because, in fact, this isn't a really red lipstick at all. It's a non-committal colour: if you've never worn anything close to red lipstick, and are working up the nerve to try it, this shade might be a comfortable, safe shade. But, if you're like me, a red lipstick devotee who loves bright, definite, unmistakably red lips, this shade will likely disappoint.

I was much more impressed with Certainly Red 740, also by Revlon, which is a blue-red that delivers all the attention-grabbing, glamorous color and definite brightness I expect from a really red lipstick. In comparison, I much prefer Love that Red 725, again, by Revlon, because it's a spunky, bright, pretty pinky/coral red.

So: my newly bought tube of "Really Red" is going to be used as my mixing shade; I'll try and rev it up by experimenting a bit. Once the tube is done, I won't buy Really Red again.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I hate...hate--taking pictures. I cringed just now even imagining the thought of a camera being pointed at me, no shite.

But one night, just for giggles, I decided to wear red lipstick, and I chose this one (cos of mad men reasons, duh.) After the vodka and soda started flowing, I agreed to a few pictures--and they're the best ones I've ever taken, no joke. Maybe it was the lipstick, maybe it was the lighting, maybe it was Tito...idk, but every once in awhile, if I'm feeling particularly silly, I will break this out.

ETA: anyone who hates this lippie may have the newer, junkier version of it. You can tell by the packaging--the good version is in a sleek, sturdy black tube with silver in the middle, and the shoddy one has gold in the middle. Most importantly, the junky version rubs off way easier, isn't as blue-based, and overall...well, it sucks.

This is a Cool tone lipstick so if you like the vampire look this is perfect lol. I adore this red matte lipstick it's amazing. Inexpensive too.

BEST BEST BEST! very pigmented and goes on smoothly and evenly! I really love the colour. this might be my signature lipstick.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Yes this lipstick delivers everything that it claims, but I wouldn't repurchase because the color is not the best on me. It is extremely red, without any undertones, so I guess it's neutral. It is very matte, and very red, and very pigmented. It suits its name, and doesn't feel drying (that's the best part). I'm knocking off 1 star because I've never liked this kind of classic, really really red, which I know, maybe I shouldn't have bought it in the first place since that is its name! But I wanted to try it due to the ratings, and I have been wanting to own a matte, red lipstick recently. I'll keep it and use it for certain events where I want to be bold, but likely not for everyday use. I think if I mix this color with another one, it will turn out pretty good.

Pros:
- true to its name
- not drying at all!!!
- very pigmented
- indeed matte
- not too expensive (I bought at $7CAD on sale)

Cons:
- because it's so pigmented, it is hard to apply perfectly (would be easier with lipliner)

In conclusion, if you want a matte, true red lipstick, not red with blue, purple, orange undertones without feeling poor after, then this is it for you.

Guess I'm the odd (wo)man out. Revlon Really Red on me is a warm, rusty brick red. Not neutral. Not cool-toned. Not a bright classic red. And I hate it when something claims it's matte when really it's not. I don't find this lipstick matte enough. The color was not flattering on me since I have cool fair skin but there are worse lipsticks out there...

Had to trek to Ulta to find it but it was so worth the trip! I have pretty fair skin and this is the perfect shade of red for me. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!