Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 36-43
Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.8

I wanted to love this powder. Very nice coverage, nice compact, I don't mind the light scent. Sadly it oxidizes like crazy on me. It turns orange within an hour and i look ridiculous. I can't wear it. Too bad. It's collecting dust in my stash. Every now and then I try it out to see if my face can take it, but...nope.

on 6/27/2015 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This gives you more coverage than a regular setting powder but I don't like it as a substitute for foundation. It doesn't provide enough coverage for that, and has the expected powdery look. I tried it wet and hated it that way. It was choppy and still not much coverage. It's better to apply it as a powder over a liquid foundation or a BB cream, and then you might as well use a translucent setting powder.

It has a heavy scent that reminds me of Noxema. There used to be a fragrance free version of this but the SA did not believe me, so maybe they stopped making it. I really hate fragrance in my face products, especially because it is likely to cause irritation.

Dual Finish is available in a broad range of colors, so if you do like the finish you are likely to find a good match. I bought Matte Neutrale II and it's a very nice shade.

I rated this 3 out of 5. It is a good powder; it's not terrible and I know it has some die-hard fans, but I really feel that it's inferior to powder foundations from Chantecaille, MAC, Dior, and Urban Decay's new one which all look more polished than this.

The fragrance is a pet peeve.

I bought this with high hopes after reading the reviews on here. The coverage is ok but the strong rose scent is awful. Don't get me wrong, I like roses. But the scent of this powder is so overpowering, it actually made my eyes water.

on 3/4/2013 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this. I have been using this for 5 years now after drugstore foundations no longer cut it for me. Your skin is so fun in your thirties...lol.. Anyway, this goes on like a matte finish. Does not cake and I feel like everything cakes on me. Does not sit in any of your fine lines. I feel like my skin is almost flawless. I have sensitive skin and I never break out from it. It also comes in a fragrance free which I usually get but I bought the fragranced one by mistake and I never had a problem.You can put it on wet or dry but I find when I have done the wet in the past the powder gets that shiny stuff on it and then eventually it starts breaking. The sponge applicator alone is to die for. I actually save all the ones from my previous compacts and wash them and save them for other stuff. Tip: Don't throw away the plastic cover thing that comes in it. Keep it to store your sponge so your compact doesn't get ruined from your dirty sponge. This is one thing in my makeup bag I cannot live without.

on 3/16/2012 9:17:00 PM

This is very silky powder. When used with powder brush goes on smothly and evenly. Scent is pleasant. It does not cover imperfections (I only used it dry), but probably neither of compacts do. Overall very nice powder, pricy but good quality.
I use it almost every day for work. Quick and easy and provides decent coverage for that. Will not work if you need full coverage.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This foundation powder gives great coverage with a nice smooth finish, but my biggest complaint is that it does not control shine for very long. I love this in the summertime as it gives great coverage but is lightweight. I apply it wet in the morning but I have to keep touching it up with the dry puff frequently. I've found that oil blotting papers work great hence I don't use too much of this product, because when applied wet it doesn't last as long.

on 7/5/2011 2:52:00 PM

Am close to 60 years old and have never, ever, let the house without wearing moisturiver, foundation, blush, etc. (I'm in the public eye). SA at Nordstrom pursuaded me to try this powder and I am absolutely astounded at the wonderful dewy finish it imparts to my face! Imperfections disappeared, skintone evened out, pores disappeared, too! I'm in Southern Carlifornia by the beach and even with high humidity, the powder does not cake nor disappear after a 10-hour workday. I look as fresh and pulled together at 6 PM as I ndid at 5 AM - what an incredible product! Goodbye pricey foundations - Lancome, where have you been all my life?

on 6/29/2011 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this powder foundation. I used this years ago, but found it so pricey that I stopped. I now realize how much product you get for the price, so I have switched back to it. I dust this on in the morning with a powder brush and it stays all day. It evens out my skintone, covers redness, and doesn't look cakey/dry, which is everything I want in a powder foundation.

on 1/21/2011 8:54:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

HG for me!! I've been using this for years. I used to be very acne prone and this and Lancome's teinte idole helped my skin sooo much. I use this with the sponge on my moisturized face when I'm doing a quick face. Paula Begoun recommends not using it wet because it can be streaky. I also use it as a setting powder over foundation or tinted moisturizer, but be sure to use a brush in this instance. I can't believe that this product broke people out, I've never had that problem. I tried all the mineral makeups when they came out and BE and all those broke me out because of the bismuth oxychloride. I came back to my old faithful and it hasn't disappointed. This doesn't give the full coverage as the foundations with bismuth oxychloride but it has medium coverage and covers up most of my imperfections-- and that's saying a lot!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I received this today in Matte Voile 1 which is the absolute palest shade that Lancome makes (even paler than the lightest shade from their fragrance free collection, which is why I chose this because I am extremely fair). I got a little nervous when I opened the package and detected an obnoxiously strong scent wafting up before I had even opened the compact! I pulled out the puff and couldn't believe that a company would be so foolish as to believe that anyone would want this obnoxious scent all over their face! This is not the 17th century where people didn't bathe and doused themselves with perfume because they stunk all over (the French were known for this during that time period so they perfumed everything and apparently still feel the need to do so). We do not need our faces heavily perfumed so why do they do it? Not only that, but it interferes with our own perfume because it barely makes it through the force field that is closest to our nose which would now be riddled with this nauseating smell. How incredibly unnecessary and utterly disappointing.

That said, the color match is perfect which is a rarity for someone as fair as me, however the coverage is nothing like I expected. I get the feeling that this might make a perfect setting powder for oilier skins when dusted over a nice matte foundation. This is not a full coverage powder. If you want a really nice full coverage powder foundation, look no further than Napoleon Perdis's Camera Finish which is what a lot of celebrities use for photo shoots. This reminds me a lot of Bobbi Brown's Sheer Pressed Powder because that's the coverage it offers. It evens out your skin tone like a nice tinted moisturizer, but you'll need to have pretty decent skin to get by with just this. I can't speak to it's oil controlling properties because I couldn't keep it on my skin longer than a half hour. I began to get a terrible headache and had to wash it off.

I spoke to a Lancome rep and she admitted that the lightest shade in their fragrance free version is darker than Matte Voile 1 and may seem a tad too dark for someone as light as me. I may try to get it on swap (Matte Porcelain Delicate-fragrance free), but this color would have been ideal (Matte Voile 1) had it not been for the intensely strong perfume. This is going back to Lancome (oddly enough I think good old Cover Girl Clean Pressed powder does a better job and actually offers more coverage and they offer all their shades in a fragrance free version).

Edit: Please see reviews on Dream Matte powder by Maybelline (yes Maybelline). One rave review after another (including mine). Once you have discovered that powder, you will never even bother with this or any other expensive stuff again. Dream Matte is silky, finely milled and covers a multitude of sins like a soft silk blanket (It's only a setting powder, yet it acts like a powder foundation and offers much more coverage at a fraction of the price). Controls oil so much better than this and goes on like silk (no caking and no fragrance whatsoever)! Hard to believe that this stuff is made by Maybelline, but check it out! This will seem like a joke by comparison. Dream Matte is my new HG powder and does everything I've ever wanted from a powder and so much more!