Meow Cosmetics Purrrfect Puss Mineral Foundation

Meow Cosmetics Purrrfect Puss Mineral Foundation
Purrrfect Puss Mineral FoundationPurrrfect Puss Mineral FoundationPurrrfect Puss Mineral FoundationPurrrfect Puss Mineral Foundation

Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is hands down one of the best mineral foundations I have ever used. It isn't too flat, nor is it too glittery/shimmery. Coverage is light but buildable to a point--like any powder foundation, too much of it can look caked and lifeless. It hasn't oxidized on me, and lasts all night with minimal blotting. The Abyssinian color family is a great match; I wear Frisky (level 2) and Naughty (level 3) blended in a 1:2 ratio. I can also wear Korat as well, though just Frisky Korat is all that's needed.

A primer helps extend wear-time. However, you CANNOT use a silicone-based primer with mineral foundations as it prevents the foundation from melting into your skin; instead, it will sit on top and remain powdery-looking. Either use their primer powders or, even better, a water-based primer such as Too Faced Hangover Rx. For that matter, moisturizers that are heavy on the silicones will have the same effect as a silicone-based primer, so also use a silicone-free moisturizer as well (may I recommend Andalou 1000 Roses Daily Shade?).

The color selection is amazing, though it is intimidating at first. One may complain about not having enough foundation choices...well, having 88 foundation shades to choose from is overwhelming! There are descriptions of each color family (breed) along with pictures. They also have a color help consultant that if you shoot her an e-mail along with your picture, she will suggest possible matches. I did just that and got a few recommendations as starting points; from there, it was a little trial and error to find my match in Abyssinian.

Meow recommends ordering samples first, especially since they have a strict no-return policy, even for sealed/unopened items. However, Meow's sample size is good for only 2 uses (maybe 3 if you're willing to go a little light-handed) which IMO doesn't really give you enough chance to really test it out.

Also, keep in mind that a specific breed and intensity level may vary slightly among the 3 formulas. If you find your shade/level match in 1 formula; it's a fairly safe bet to assume the same combo in the other 2 formulas will match as well...however, if you need a guarantee, order more samples.

The level of intensity isn't always the same among breeds. For example, Frisky Abyssinian is far lighter than Frisky Korat is. Also, for those of you who are pale, the lightest intensity (Inquisitive, Level 0) of most shades is just a hair away from white. So unless you are exceptionally pale or you are going for a goth look, you may not want to automatically reach for the lightest intensity. In fact, you may find a more accurate match in an intensity level that you wouldn't even consider! So again, samples.

There are a lot of complaints about the Customer Service. Personally, I haven't encountered any problems with them; the one time I did have a problem (wrong item received), they acknowledged the mistake and sent the correct one with no hassle. It does take a while for them to process orders (and answer e-mails and messages), so be prepared to be patient...probably more patient that you'd like.

on 7/4/2016 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I was directed to Meow from many online forums claiming it had an amazing shade range. I am extremely pale (for reference, Mac NW13 was too dark on me, matching foundations are Maybelline Fit Me M&P in 110, and Josie Maran Vibrancy in Dynamic), and have yet to find My HG foundation, so I ordered some samples. I was pleased to see that not only did they offer various "pale" shades in different undertones, but they also carried white powder that I could mix in if needed. Well, it wasn't needed.

I settled on Inquisitive Bengal (lightest shade of the cool beige undertone), but honestly I could have worn any of the other colors. I'm used to there being almost no foundations light enough for me, so I often had to settle on more yellow foundations simply because they were light enough. Therefore, I was pretty shocked to have 6 different shades in front of me that all matched to some degree. If you're a pale girl and nothing else matches, definitely order some samples from Meow. If you're even paler, they do have the white shade that you can mix or wear alone. On the inverse, they also cater to deeper skin tones - people of color who struggle to find a match should check them out.

I'm a noob to powder foundation. As someone who has normal to dry sky skin, I was told to avoid them. So hopefully my experience will help other powder noobs. As I found, you NEED a kabuki brush for this stuff. Flat top, dome shape, doesn't matter. Anything else will get you zero coverage. The Purrfect Puss formula is sheer-to-light coverage, but without a kabuki brush you won't see it. Secondly, you need to dust this on in sections, wait a few minutes for it to melt in, and then you can buff some more in.

As said earlier, this has pretty light coverage. Not bad if you have nice skin like me, but even I have to throw on some concealer first. In the end I purchased their full coverage formula, but I suspect that will be more medium coverage.

This does go on looking a bit chalky, but it melts into your skin after a few minutes (and again when you use setting spray). By the time I have the rest of my makeup on, it's left a natural, skin-like finish on my face. The site claims it's both matte and dewy, but it's not. Just a natural finish. The best part, for me, was seeing that it did not cling to my dry patches. Every liquid foundation, including the hydrating one, exaggerated those areas but this doesn't. And I LOVE that.

This is more of a first impression than anything, but I do really like this foundation a lot and am eagerly awaiting my full size order to arrive.

To Read all 43 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/1/2016 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was gifted this but am so glad I didn't purchase this at all. It's best as a finishing powder as it barely gives any coverage as a foundation and I don't have that much discolorations or flaws to cover thanks to AHA and whitening products. It gives a semi matte finish depending on what primer or moisturizer you wear underneath. It is a finely milled powder that does apply quite nicely with a flat sponge.

It comes in a generous size of 30 gr but you use so much anyways even as a setting powder you will go through it in no time. I wanted to try a fuller coverage formula but apparently the colors don't run the same from line to line and with waiting for samples to test it's just a hassle.

Meow was rec as a replacement for Aromaleigh when they first closed their business and it's pretty close in terms of how it applys and looks but I'm comparing it to the old formulation since it's been reformulated when they reopened.

on 3/21/2016 7:37:00 PM

I did the sample thing, twice, and found the foundations that matched me best. I also tried the different formulas, flawless, purrfect, and I don't remember the other one. When I worked with the right color families, all the forumlas evened out my complexion and looked natural as they wore off. The formulas are slightly different, and sometimes the colors are very different in intensity. For example, you can't count on a 3 Manx in the Flawless foundation to be exactly the same as a 3 Manx in the Pampered. So you need to order samples before you make a big order.

Anyway, I did the sample thing. Made an order. Wore the makeup happily for a year until I ran out. Then things went terribly wrong. I placed an order for additional samples for friends along with munchkin sized jars for me. One jar was the wrong color. It was two shades too pale. It looked ghostly on me and I had a sample in the same thing to prove that the colors were significantly different. The rest of the order seemed fine.

Meow should have just exchanged the jar. But no. The first thing they did was tell me I probably wasnt wearing the right color. They told me to try the chat forum and post a photo. I tried the chat forum (without a photo). It took more than a week to get a (very generic) reply. It wasnt useful. I complained again and supplied pics of the products which showed how different they really were. They agreed they were not the same color. Meow said they would sent out a new jar. I tracked the shipment for a couple of weeks waiting for it to be updated. Nothing ever arrived. I took the tracking number to the post office and found out that the shipment was initiated, but it never left Meow. It never made it to Post Office hands. Basically, it was never shipped out.

That really turned me off to the company. The whole thing lasted a couple months. And I still don't understand all the dishonesty. If my color was not available, they shouldve told me up front. If color was simply mislabeled, they shouldve done an exchange or return. Easy stuff. Instead, they told me I ordered wrong. Then they made it even worse by making me wait for a shipment that they never bothered to actually send out. I tossed my friends' samples. I didn't want them to throw away their money.

This is the only mineral foundation I will use, and for many years (around 10) it's been the only foundation I've used, and I've tried a lot of mineral, liquid and cream foundations. I was first introduced to mineral foundation when I had very oily skin and bad acne. I wish it had been around and popular when I was a teenager, because my acne was horrible. Mineral foundation, and especially this product, changed my life. I started using bare minerals and loved how it didn't have any petrochemicals in it (as I am allergic to them) and worked much better with my oily skin and really helped to clear my bad acne in a way that even prescription treatments from the dermatologist didn't; but I didn't like how sheer it was so if you wanted better coverage you had to really take some time with it. I also didn't like how it was so expensive for something that isn't the quality it was originally. Recently my skin has changed to extremely dry and super flaky and every so often I get really bad eczema that's primarily concentrated on my face, and I still use this product, although I am searching for something moisturizing that doesn't cling to dry flakes of skin. After using up my bare minerals, I started using meow cosmetics because I wasn't happy with the lack of good coverage, the high price, and the comparatively low quality ingredients. I really didn't like when I realized that their mineral veil is almost 100% corn starch, although the ingredients use the alternate name, zea mays, to keep most people from noticing. I looked for alternative mineral foundations in stores, but at that time mineral foundation was a newer product and most people had never heard of it, so I took my search online. After comparing many mineral foundation companies in terms of coverage, ingredients, price, and shade options. I decided to order some samples from meow cosmetics. The samples are very cheap, which is great because you don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg to find out what shade you need, but I wish they were packaged better as it's tough to get the samples on your brush in the tiny Ziploc bags. You either use an eyeshadow brush to see what color you need and then put the contents in with your full size container or dump the entire bag out onto a paper bowl or something and then have it sitting out where it could easily spill or just throw the whole thing away. It might be a good idea to purchase a small container for it, but that increases the price I was really impressed with not only being able to order full coverage foundation, but also mineral concealer, and if course the rest of their products are great too. I ended up using a liquid concealer for under my eyes, where I have probably the worst black circles ever because my skin looked really dry and kind of wrinkly with the powder concealer in the eye area, but I was so happy with the full coverage foundation that I barely needed either type of concealer for anything else, and I had bad acne and dark acne scars. I haven't found a liquid foundation I like despite trying many different brands and types because they really cling to and enhance dry patches. Even after exfoliating and using very heavy duty moisturizers, I still frequently have dry flakes. So until I find my next foundation love, this continues to be my holy grail. I use it in conjunction with moisturizers, moisturizing serum, a moisturizing primer and my concealer from amazing cosmetics, and sometimes a setting spray. I also like how this foundation looks when set using a setting spray or moisturizing water as it takes it from looking matte and airbrushed to your skin but way better. It really looks like you just have flawless skin. I recommend this to everyone looking for a foundation to use with oily/acne-prone skin or just something without all the chemicals in it.

on 11/12/2015 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Sigh. What a disappointment.
If you have perfect, flawless skin, this might work, otherwise, steer clear.
It highlights every single imperfection - Every little peach fuzz hair, every dry spot, every dark spot, every pimple. It's super dry, creates flakes and lines, looks incredibly powdery, and has bad coverage. Yeah it's buildable, but the more layers you apply, the worse your skin looks.
I guess I'll be sticking to Alima. It's more expensive, but the quality is so much better!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the lightest neutral shade is much too dark for us very fair ladies. Again. Sigh.

Worst online company I have had to deal with EVER!
Placed a large order on this website. They sent me the order after 3 weeks of waiting. One of the items I ordered was defective and not as described. I let them know sent them 4 emails and heard back from them about 2 weeks later. Their response was that they couldn't care less. They told me that they couldn't accept the item back. Thankfully I paid with PayPal. Filed a dispute and PayPal helped me get my money back and get the defective item back to them. I got an email from them telling me they are going to send me to collections now which is ridiculous and that they are going to cancel any future or present orders from me, my IP address or my mailing address as they don't want to sell anymore products to me because of this. Well they don't have to worry I won't ever be purchasing any products from them ever again or let alone recommend them. I don't usually tend to leave reviews, but I just had to write this because I wish I would have know how little this company cares about their customers and how bad their customer support is. Please beware and stay away! Trust me their are far better companies out there with better makeup/beauty products that actually care for their customers.

NEVER purchasing from them again.
They sent the wrong item (mislabeled), and it has been over half a month and I have still not received the corrected item. Maggie in customer service cares nothing about her customers. If the order is correct, the product itself is great. But BEWARE of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

on 3/7/2015 8:05:00 PM

I had seen alot of good reviews about this foundation and decided to try it out. I was disappointed that it didn't provide more coverage,it's a sheer to light coverage. It does give my skin a healthy glow but I like the coverage of BE better plus u get the glow from BE also. I did try meows concealers too and I do like them,they are great for the undereye to cover and brighten. I'd definitely buy the concealers again.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Meow Cosmetics claims "Purrr-fect Puss foundation is our original sheer, matte, layerable-coverage mineral foundation utilizing the latest light refraction pigments for a youthful dewy appearance. [...] Need more coverage? Purrr-fect Puss also offers excellent heavier coverage to problem areas when applied wet with a brush, and blended out."

I did find this product sheer and layerable. However, some of the description is contradictory because it is not both "matte" and "dewy" at the same time. I find it gives a skin-like finish on my dehydrated-to-normal skin (although I do have to use moisturizer right beforehand or it is somewhat drying), which actually is neither matte nor dewy. What I think they are referring to, however, is the slight shimmer that is visible in direct sunlight when the product is swatched on the arm. When applied to my face, I don't notice the shimmer and I believe it provides a slight luminosity to the product which makes it appear more skin-like. After all, moisturized skin is not completely matte and does have a slight luminosity to it.

I did not find that this product could be used wet for more coverage. I tried applying the product wet with a damp flat top kabuki and it appeared very streaky. I tried with my beautyblender, and while it did not appear streaky it did not offer any more coverage. I do not find this product as versatile as the description led me to believe.

However, I overall still like the Purrr-fect Puss formula since it melds easily with my dehydrated-normal skin when I apply extra moisturizer, gives me light coverage, and is lightweight enough that I don't feel like I have anything on my face. If you're looking for those qualities in a foundation, then this may be a good option.