bareMinerals Ruby Collection

4.2

on 10/28/2009 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I'm a huge BE fan, and this collection was all I requested for my birthday this year. While the mascara in the kit is cruddy, I already have plenty of great mascara, and that's not why I wanted the kit, so it still gets full marks for me.

The eye colors blend together beautifully and look gorgeous on both cool-toned me (NW15) and my warmer-skinned sister. Very nice neutrals for everyday wear. And the Ruby Radiance makes a lovely blush. The brushes are great, I use them often, and the Ruby Buxom lip gloss is a great mauve-pink color and possesses the wonderful Buxom minty essence that makes these BE glosses my favorite bar-none. To be fair, the Buxom staying power is not amazing, but it feels great to apply, so no points lost there either. I love this kit and hope these items never run out!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I don't much care for BE foundations but I love their eye, lip and cheek colors. The Ruby kit provides good value for the money. The two taupe/brown eyeshadows are, surprisingly, very flattering on my cool-toned PPP skin - most browns make me look like I either have a virus, or have been punched in the eye. The Ruby face color is beautiful when applied with a light hand. And I love the lipgloss. It doesn't really plump my lips but the color is so flattering and the minty flavor freshens my breath like Altoids! All in all a great value. And will probably last me FOREVER.

on 2/20/2009 12:54:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I hadn't used Bare Escentuals in a very long time since I bought the foundation several years back and was completely unimpressed. However when I saw this at Sephora I thought, what the heck, let's give it a go. What I like about this kit I *really* like and what I hate about it I *really* hate. Let's start with the pros: The Ruby Radiance all over color is fabulous, it's quickly becoming my favorite blush! I'll be pretty bummed when I run out cos it's LE. The blush brush is surprisingly nice, it's compact and distributes RR very nicely. The shadows are wonderful, nice textures, great staying power. The Lip Polish is a really beautiful shade of sheer, shimmery cranberry. Don't forget the cute clutch! Now, for the cons: The mascara is *horrible.* It does absolutely nothing and the red sparkly mascara is worthless. You have to glob it on to see just a hint of red. The eye brush is pretty worthless too, it's much too froppy for me. So I decided 4 lippies would be fair. It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good.

on 1/15/2009 5:43:00 AM

I really wanted to like this, but the first thing that put me off is the underfill on the jars. The jars are half full, if that. I have bought quite a bit of makeup from smaller online mmu retailers and have had jars that were so packed full that nothing would come out of the sifter, so Bare Escentuals underfill is an unpleasant surprise. The eyeshadows are pretty in this kit, but nothing that's "can't live without." The ruby radiance is also pretty, but it is a little too "bright pink" for my taste. I liked the Buxom lip gloss which is also kind of the same shade of "bright rose pink." Did not care for the mascara at all and the red glitter mascara doesn't even show up. Also comes with a red clutch bag and a couple of brushes, which are the usual mediocre quality BE brushes.
I am returning this. I don't love it enough to pay $54 for it, and the underfill on the jars is a real turnoff.

on 12/22/2008 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this kit just for the gloss and the radiance. I plan to give the other products as stocking stuffer goodies. The shadows are pretty and the brushes are too especially, but I haven't used either so I will just review the radiance. The gloss I have reviewed separately.

I am not a huge BE fan, but I am addicted to Rose Radiance. Being fair skinned, I use it as a blush. The Ruby Radiance was so intriguing to me. It is warmer than Rose, with a hint of peachiness to it. It's still very much a cool blush though in my opinion. The product blends beautifully and imparts such a natural flush. I have fair skin and red hair and the color is great on me. I have to balance that line between cool for my skin coloring and warm for my hair coloring, and I think this is neutral enough to work on many skin tones.

Though the product looks very sparkly and shimmery, I never have a problem with glitter cheeks. I don't know how BE does it, but the shimmer blends in and just looks like a natural glow when applied.

I would definitely buy Ruby Radiance if it was ever sold again. But, I probably wouldn't buy the kit since I don't use the other stuff. So please, BE, sell Ruby separately!

on 11/23/2008 11:33:00 AM

I am a very fair skinned, dark haired "Snow White" type. I don't use BE (I have used some of their eyeshadows before), but was very drawn to this collection.

I adore the Rose Radiance. I am so fair skinned that I use mine as a blush rather than all-over color. The eyeshadows are very pretty too. I find the Golden Ruby particularly pretty--the gold tones seem to pop the brown of my eyes.

I agree that the mascara is the weak part of this package. The Ruby Buxom is great... good pigmentation and it lasts although the color is a little too dark for my coloring. I find it looks prettiest on me if I put it over a brighter color to brighten my face.

The red bag is very pretty. This would make a nice gift for a BE lover. And like all BE, it should last a very long time.

on 11/17/2008 2:03:00 AM

I love this kit the eye shadows are so pretty and blend so well together. I am so in love with the ruby radiance. The mascara wasn't all that great the red glitter idea is great but it doesn't show up very well other then that I love the full color lip gloss brushes eye shadows and radiance

on 11/16/2008 12:05:00 AM

Not my favorite BE kit, but its nice =) Nice holiday item, but there are some flaws. The eyeshadows aren't all that great, but the blush and the buxom gloss is so perfect for the holidays! I definately am so partial to the shadows, but it might be a nice kit to get someone hooked on BE and definately something nice for the holidays coming up. The mascara, did work for me, but it took some application. I had to apply almost 4 different times for it to show up the red glitter!

on 10/22/2008 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Like a previous reviewer, I found this surprisingly neutral. I love the eyeshadows; they're essentially just three shades of brown, but cooler-toned than many of the BE browns. This works very well on my fair, cool complexion. They have a little shimmer to them, but the shimmer is subtle enough for daytime. I really like the eyeshadow brush. It is a little stiff, but I like the precision that allows.

The "all over face color" (which I would consider a blush), is a nice all-purpose blush. The lipgloss is mauve-ish and really long-lasting for a gloss. The black end of the mascara is fine, but nothing spectacular. The sparkly red end, though, did nothing. This is why I gave 4 lippies overall instead of 5.

It's a nice set, and if I ran out (which is unlikely, considering how long BE products last) I would repurchase.

From the Sephora Website:

Bare Escentuals Ruby Collection is infused with real ruby powder to enhance your beauty with the same authentic, fascinating qualities of the ruby. These 100% pure bareMinerals eye and face colors capture the vitality of ruby gemstones. The warm color palette of this collection, including brushes and a lip polish, provides you with a daily dose of luxury and a naturally radiant way to express the real you.

This Sephora-exclusive collection includes bareMinerals Ruby Radiance All-Over Face Color (pink rose) infused with ruby, bareMinerals Golden Ruby Eye Color (peach gold) infused with ruby, bareMinerals Vintage Ruby Eye Color (rose fawn) infused with ruby, bareMinerals Wild Ruby Liner Shadow (plum chocolate) infused with ruby, Double-Ended Classic Black Mascara & Ruby Beautifully Luminous Lashes, Ruby Buxom Big & Healthy Full Color Lip Polish (jeweled mauve), a Soft Sweep Cheek Brush with custom handle, a Double-Ended Tapered Shadow & Eyeliner Brush with custom handle, and a stylish faux-crocodile Ruby Clutch.
***********************************************************************

My Review:
I love this kit! It's surprisingly wearable! I am a pretty cool-toned gal, and I was able to make all of these colors work on me. The shadows are neutral to warm toned, but very nice. Like all BE Shadows that I've tried, they are smooth, creamy and easily blendable.

The all over face color is really really pretty. Warmer and deeper than Rose Radiance, this lends a more flushed look, rather than the innocent look that I get from RR.

The Mascara set is pretty gimmicky. The black mascara is fine, nothing spectacular, and while the idea of the ruby colored sparkle mascara is intruiging, the execution leaves something to be desired. I couldn't tell I had it on. I only did one coat, so I will try more, but I don't think this is a real standout product.

The lip gloss is SO pretty! If you like the plumping feeling of the buxom glosses, you will like this. It's a pretty pinky/mauve color- shiny and smooth without being overly sticky.

The brushes are pretty crappy- not very soft at all. The face brush is okay, but the shadow brushes just hurt! I bought this knowing that most BE brushes, esp. in the kits, are terrible, so I wasn't expecting much.

Last of all, the little red clutch is SO super cute! Magnetic closure, and very trendy. Perfect for a purse-sized makeup bag.

Overall, I really like this kit. It's very wearable, and despite the name, pretty neutral.