Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Filtered by age: 30-35
Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

I love this palette. I love all eye shadows from Coastal Scents. I was a bit Leary about purchasing something I had never seen online, but I was not disappointed. I have been using this product for 4 years, and have purchased it twice. It is my go to palette for daily use. I use E.L.F eye shadow primer underneath, and the colors stay on all day long. Urban Decay is a little more pigmented, as it should be for the price, but Coastal Scents gives it a run for their money. The only negative to this palette is the packaging. The mirror always breaks off and the shadows pop out. It is poorly made. Other than that, the makeup itself is worth the price. I also own the Reveled 1,2,3 and 88 palette with matte and satin colors. Because of these shadows I have not purchased MAC or any of the other expensive make up brands since I started using these. It doesn't make sense to pay top dollar when I can pay less and get the same looks.

on 3/29/2014 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased this for 8 dollars last summer and its a good investment if you use tons of bright colors. Very pigmented, very inexpensive and a huge variety. I don't recall any duds in this palette either.

on 1/25/2014 11:52:00 PM

Right out the gate let me explain why I love this palette, but wouldn't buy it again. As with most palettes there are shades you love and hit pan on pretty quickly, shades you don't love as much but still use, and shades you used once and hated or know you'll never use. Because of that you can go to the Coastal Scents website and buy their Hot Pots. They are larger, slightly better quality, single pan versions of the shadows in their large palettes. You can put them in a magnetized palette, or buy a palette compact through CS. They have a color selector tool that shows all of the colors in their palettes. You find the one you love, click on it, and it takes you to the ordering page for the closest match Hot Pot. So that is why I wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering another 88 Ultra Shimmer palette when I can order the individual shades I love in a larger size. Anyway, onto the review!

*PROS*
~It's affordable. This is for anyone who wants to experiment with color, but can't afford or doesn't want to drop the money on something like the Urban Decay Motherlode or a huge array of MAC single shadows.
~These are shimmery, but I wouldn't call them ultra shimmery. They're definitely not giltter bombs, which pleased me.
~The pigmentation is amazing, but you'll definitely want to use a shadow primer.
~There is a nice range of colors.
~I haven't had any trouble with fallout. Maybe I lucked out.
~These do last quite a decent amount of time and I never had trouble with creasing.
~The packaging is very slim line, so these palettes store nicely in a drawer.

*CONS*
~Some of the colors are very similar, especially the more neutral shades. When applied they don't look very different, which decreases the diversity value of this palette.
~The pans are tiny. I don't know why I didn't realize this when I saw videos on YouTube and women were pointing at the colors and the pans were the same size as the tip of their finger.
~The packaging is very awkward. You have to hold the palette away from you to pop it open and then the lid flies open and the whole thing gets a little unwieldy.
~Some of the shades are hard to apply. Not all of them, but some have that same waxy, yet chalky, consistency I described in my review of the Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips. You can dip your finger in the pan and get color, but you really have to dig a brush in there to load it for application.

on 5/1/2012 7:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I fell in love with this palette before I ever even got it in the mail. I like the idea of all colors being in one handy palette. Also, the reviews that I've read have been pretty stellar on the Ultra Shimmer Palette.
When I received it in the mail today, I was super excited to swatch the beautiful colors inside. The first thing I noticed was how akward it was to open the palette without dropping it. I guess a palette of that size seemed like a good idea until I tried to figure out just where I would store it.
On to the colors...they are in fact VERY pigmented and everything I'd hoped they would be in terms of brightness. The biggest downside? The particles are too big and require a lot of force to blend. All this blending leaves a powdery & shimmery mess on my face. Also, I will have to use a good primer on my lids because it doesn't last that long at all. I will use this palette. It's the principal of it at this point. However, I will now do my eye make up first (complete with industrial strength primer), and then apply my foundation, ect.. The color payoff is somewhat worth the pain in the rump that my new makeup routine will be. Hopefully...

on 12/24/2011 10:27:00 AM

this is the same as the original 88 palate with shimmer added to the colours.

this is what you get :-

1. 8 rows of each colour going from light to dark.
2. very good pigmentation, easily bendable, hardly any fallout.
3. only a few colours that don't apply well or a little chalky.
4. decent amount of shimmer, never over the top!
5. 80% colour 15% dark and warm 5% highlighter and unique.

I like this palate alot, at first I got tricked by the name into thinking this would be glitter overload but it's really not, the shimmer is nice without being to chunky or inappropriate for daily use!

if you have the original matted one then get this as well, the shimmer in the colours gives them a different finish making it alot of fun to play with and try new looks when combined with the original.

personally I tend to use the matted one more and this one to blend in a little spice to the look in the end which makes it worth having.

on 2/23/2011 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

As an Urban Decay junkie, I was hesitant to purchase this palette at first. I was used to 'high end' shadows, but after reading many raving reviews on the palette, I decided to take the plunge. I bought it on Amazon for $16, and that was with shipping. The shadows are gorgeous. They're shimmery, creamy and opaque. They're not too powdery, as some more inexpensive shadows tend to be. There are a ton of colors, so you can create many, many different looks. They work well together, but they also work well combined with shadows from other brands. Overall, this was probably the best $16 I've spent on eyeshadow in a long time. I would definitely purchase again - that is if I ever run out!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Good selection of colors, but most of them are very chalky, I use very high quality brushes to make these eyeshadows work.

on 10/5/2010 11:43:00 AM

Affordable, easy to layer and work with, and really that is all I ask for when I do make-up. It certainly is not MAC or Chanel but it does it's job and lasts through the day. I prefer to use a neutral eyeshadow base on my clients prior to applying shadow and I like to use this shimmer palette as highlighters on top of matte shadows.

I can see why this palette is so popular with those among us who love going for daring looks, who experiment a lot with color and who want to try smth new often. This palette offers a wide range of bright colors, only some subdued, in a great finish and texture. I find this palette to be extremely well pigmented. That may be a plus for some but for me it isn't necessarily.

Because the shadows are so pigmented, it is impossible to go for a sheer look. Virtually impossible. All colors are very bright and right in your face. I am pale with dark hair and eyes and I can usually pull all colors off, be it blues, purples, pinks, greens etc. Not so here: I look like a pirate hooker, every single time I apply this, and I have been applying MU for a decade now and know what I am doing. It's a shame, because I LOVE jewel tones and bright juicy colors... it's just that I have realized that to pull that look off, the average MU-using woman is better off with a sheer color she can build up

You would think that with 88 colors you could rely solely on this palette... BUT: There is not a single shade I can use as a wash. Even the white and light pinks and greens are so pigmented that I look like a disco queen, even when I apply them with a very lose blending brush. There are no good liner colors at ALL. There is tons of blues, from turquoise to electric but not a navy you could use as a liner. That is true for every color family. The darkest shade is a dark grey... not even black.

To sum it up, this is a nice MU toy but it is not smth I reach for every day, even though that is why I decided to buy this palette in the first place.

on 1/5/2010 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love the fact that you get to try lots of different colors , most of the colors I wont wear thou, and why there has to be 10 different shades of yellow and orange is a bit odd.
The colors are very frosty! and very chalky, tons of fallout. Very low quality like something you would find in a dollar store. Will definitely not repurchase.