shu uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

Filtered by hair type : Wavy

4.4

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

This is the first brow pencil I've ever owned. I naturally have very thick brows that I've been growing out after having them threaded for many many years. I wanted to get a pencil during the growing out stage to fill in the areas that are patchier and make them look a bit more neat.

I was really unsure of what color to buy. There are very few swatches online, and many colors I couldn't find swatches for. I dye my hair blonde but have naturally light to medium brown hair, and Seal Brown ended up working reasonably well, although a touch lighter probably would be better.

The product itself is so.strange. While I haven't used a brow pencil before, I've watched people using one plenty of times and I know how it usually looks to apply it. With this pencil I didn't feel like I was seeing any color transferring until I moved my head further away from the mirror, and lo and behold the patchy area was fuller. As other reviewers have said, you're not supposed to draw on little hairs like you might with other pencils. You're sort of drawing on the hair rather than drawing on the skin. The technique I saw in a video demo that I have been using is to hold the pencil as flat as is comfortable against my brow and sort of drag the pencil across the area I want to fill in in short strokes.

The thing I like best about this product is it looks so natural that I don't have to do my entire brow. The penciled-in parts blend in completely with the rest. So if you, like me, have bushy brows with sparse patches you want to fill in, this is a great option. I was really self conscious about using a pencil on my eyebrows since it wouldn't take much for me to take these eyebrows into ludicrously bushy, distinguished English stage actor territory. But I have been quite happy with how it's turned out and that I can use a light hand.

By the way, apparently when you buy the pencil it's normally sharpened like the pic on MUA - supposedly like a samurai sword, and apparently this is important enough that people actually take their pencils to Shu Uemura counters to have it sharpened like this when it becomes dull. For the record, my pencil did not come sharpened like this. It was sharpened like a regular pencil (and yes I purchased it from a very reputable place, not a fake). I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be really, but I haven't had any issues using my pencil.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Pros: Lasts a long time and is water-resistant. Perfect for light, natural brow filling -- I usually never fill in my brows but for photos I like to add a teensy bit of this pencil.

Cons: Pulls very red on me. When I was a redhead it was my go-to brow pencil, but now that my hair is dark again you can really tell that the pencil doesn't really match my eyebrows. I am NC10 with very dark hair so you can really tell just how much it doesn't match. I have since switched to a light ash gray pencil with much better results.

I'm shocked at how many other gals with black/dark brown Asian hair found this pencil close to black. On me it's a medium, warm taupe.

Of course, if you're a darker auburn/redhead, then it't s great and you should give it a try!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Count me as a fan. I was skeptical but after trying I'm sold. I've tried many powders and pencils from DS to HE and this produces the most natural looking brows. No Joan Crawford drawn-on brows here unless you want them.

I have thinning brows that I've been trying to grow. Also had them waxed and zealous waxing chick made them super thin. At my age my hair does not grow that fast anymore so it has been a slow process to regain any thickness but with this pencil and the Shu eyebrow gel I can mimic fullness without any weirdness or crazy looking brows.(Come on you KNOW the look I'm talking about!)

Another huge + is that this pencil does not oxidize darker with oils as the day goes on like other products I've tried nor does it disappear on me. Where I'm thinnest, i.e the ends of my brows, I've read to add a smidge of setting powder to make the pencil set, which is what I do.

Yeah this pencil is a little more expensive than say Lancome or Clinique but the pencil is twice the size of those and hard like the name says so I expect I won't need to reorder for awhile even with daily use.

This may the only product I've tried so far in my 26 years that I know will stay with me forever. If it is ever discontinued I will get enough backups to last me for the rest of my life, no joke. Realistically, since one lasts me about 3 years I'll need around 20.

This liner is THE brow pencil for me because it is perfection in two ways. First off, the color is absolutely perfect for creating a natural brow on my NC20 lightly yellowish Asian skin and black hair. It is brown, but a cool, ashy one that pulls absolutely no red or warmth whatsoever. It blends in perfectly with my black brows.

Secondly, the texture is beyond genius. Too many brow pencils get it wrong with thinking they are pencils meant for eyes. They're not. Pencils for eyes must be soft and glide, so they achieve the most precise look without pulling the eye. However, this quality found in some brow pencils make them deliver way too much waxy looking product onto your brows, making it very difficult to achieve brows (quickly) that don't look fake. I'm all about adding flair to one's makeup (bright lips, colorful eyeshadows), but I draw the line (literally, haha!) at brows. I only want natural looking brows that just look perfectly groomed, not harshly draw in. Shu's liner achieves that because the formula is very, very hard. It's still wax-based, but it will not transfer onto your skin if there's not enough oil on it (try drawing a line with it on palm of your hand--nearly impossible). Also, each line drawn w/ it is not too pigmented, allowing you to go over a spot repeatedly to build up strokes that look like hairs.

On top of all this, it is the longest lasting brow product I've ever used, and I don't use anything else with it (e.g. brow gel or wax). Yes, $22 is steep for a brow pencil, but given it lasts years with average use and is absolutely flawless as a product I believe it is well worth the price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is my absolute HG brow pencil! If I'm not going to use this brow pencil, I'd rather shade my brows in with eye shadow.

It's a lot to spend for a brow pencil, but it really is worth it. The angled tip works wonders for the natural shape of my brow. I really would be lost without this, with my sparse brows.

Because of how dependent I am on this product, I would recommend keeping 2 of these, unless you can sharpen it by yourself, as they do break easily when dropped (doh!) I've dropped it around 3 times - twice on the floor, once on my dresser.... twice on my dresser, but once I was lucky enough for it not to break

I could rave about this product all day, but I have removed one lippy - here's why...
1) Pricey
2) Must be sharpened by a pro, which means you have to really be careful with it. Without dropping it however, it does last a long time before it needs sharpening. Plus, I don't mind going to the SU store. The girls there are always so sweet!!

-----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: I love this pencil and I wish I could keep using it but I found out it photographs really grey. :(

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

love this pencil. it makes my brow looks natural, and really, i have quite sparse eyebrows so with normal eyebrow pencils, you can see that i drawn it in, but really not with this pencil. It stays on the whole day even with my oily skin! it has great control too, as you can not apply too much and look like a drag queen.

will definitely buy it again....

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Warm

I swear I have alopecia of the eyebrows. And, it is not fair since all 3 of my brothers have furry caterpillars for brows. I am not a victim of over tweezing just a sad case of sparse brows. I have to always apply my faux eyebrows in order to provide definition to my face. I have to use a pencil since I am horrible at using powders. They take too long and inevitably I wind up with patches that are darker and lighter.

This color is great since it provides a nice brow tone and you can't apply to thickly that you walk away looking like you used a sharpie. A lot of my friends use powders and I find their brows too dark. When pictures are taken my brows appear to be the least overly done. Some pencils are so waxy that it looks like a 2 year old attacked you with a crayon. Since this pencil only reacts with oils on your face it works out perfectly. Unless you have oily hands you cannot swatch this on them to test out the color.

Well, until I can get an eyebrow hair transplant, (And yes their are doctors that do them, the draw back is trimming them since they grow as long as your regular hair).Then I will continue to use this product.

UPDATE/EDIT 7 Jan 2011: Maybe this goes without saying but I'll tell you anyway that this works best BEFORE you powder your face because the natural oils on your brows are still there for the pencil to work.

I have sparse browse. So sparse and the hairs are fine that without MU I look like I have none. the tail ends of my brows are also almost nonexistent. I have been trying to grow them but obviously in the mean time I have to fill them in.

Seal Brown is so popular (just look at the ratings, too!) but it doesn't work on *very* sparse brows like mine! It needs oils from the brow hairs to activate the pigments, so how can I get any colour out when I have no hairs to begin with?

Where there is hair, this pencil will give it some illusion of thickness, and a nice colour (I must say the colour is very natural. I have black hair but Seal Brown is dark enough for me without being harsh). But at the ends, my brows look obviously drawn on. In the, umm, bald areas between the hairs the colour is very flat. Me no likey.

It also takes very long to do my brows with this pencil because you need light short strokes which I can't do in a hurry. It also takes many strokes for the intensity or depth of colour that I want.

I am going back to powders and mascara to fill in my brows. I hate returning stuff so this will go into my swap basket.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm a convert! This is a true neutral taupe with no reddish or yellow tones. The hard formula makes it go on lightly.

Problem: You have soft, dark neutral brown brows that can be a bit unruly. Most brow pencils are either too black or too reddish brown and make you look like Frida Kahlo on a bad day. You have near given up on brow care (which is the second most important thing in beauty next to a faking a flawless complexion). You believe your last resort is sticky clear, brow gel (which you hate dealing with).

Solution: Shu Uemura's Hard Formula H9 in the color Seal Brown 02. After owning for no more than 15 minutes I am ready to build a shrine for it and bow down in awe. This is what I have been looking for the last 8 years of my life. While not transferring any color used on bare skin, it still reacts with the oils in your brow to make perfectly filled in brows that look defined, yet natural. I can't even tell I am using anything. It instantly pulls your face together! Also, if you prefer a bit more drama it can be layered. However, it still looks like something nature gave you. I couldn't be happier. It's the first time I feel giddy inside because of a product. There's absolutely nothing to criticize about it.

Popular Brows Products