Almay smart shade

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
Almay smart shade
smart shadesmart shade

2.8

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Water, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Alumina, Boron Nitrate, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (Grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Cycloheptasiloxane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Talc, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

on 6/14/2013 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

This concealer is just OK. Overall the 'smart shade' idea does work, the concealer will blend quite naturally into the skintone/foundation colour very nicely. However I find the coverage is quite limited. It can cover a small pimple well but when it comes to the under eye darkness it is almost like nothing has been applied. Just a slight difference but I still look like I've barely slept.
In saying that I think it is good for photographs as sometimes the mismatch of concealer colour can show up in flash photos especially under the eyes but generally I just use my foundation as a concealer to keep a consistent colour if I know a photo is being taken.
Overall I highly doubt I will ever repurchase this again.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Honestly it seems to me more like a full coverage foundation than concealer because it didn't help much for my under eye darkness, but it was really good at evening out my skintone/slight discoloration around my nose and cheeks. I'm happy that it stayed put throughout my 6 hour school day with no touchups needed.

Note: A lot of people say it turns their skin orange but I didn't get that at all! I think it's because I got the 010 Light/pale, and I would definitely classify my skin as medium and olive colored, not pale at all. (But the color still ended up matching my skin.) Also nice that it has SPF.

Overall I wouldn't repurchase as a concealer, but I would purchase if I found it on sale just as a backup "foundation."

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This is a review of the plain version of the Smart Shade concealer (not the anti aging version). I used it as an under eye concealer. It actually emphasized the fine lines. The product disappeared and whatever was left, settled into the lines.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I get really dark tanned skin in the summer. My usual concealer was making my tanned skin look white in the areas where I use it in comparison to the rest of my face, so it was time for a new concealer. I purchased the Almay Smart Shade concealer in Medium and have found that it blends in well with my skin. It doesn't conceal very heavily- but for my usage; under eye circles and the occasional discolouration, it works perfectly. For the summer, it's a great light-weight concealer. I probably wouldn't continue to use this once my tan fades after the summer, but for light coverage in humid weather on tanned skin, I am actually quite pleased!

on 3/24/2011 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this and I thought it worked better then any other concealer I have ever used and I love to use it when I use my smart shade foundation or on it's own.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Finally, a concealer that doesn't emphasize dry lines around the eyes, covers what you want it to without looking too thick or noticeable, and has long wear. I guess this doesn't work for most people here on MUA, but it works great for me. It does come out of the tube a strange whiteish-beigeish color, and when you first put it on it's hard to believe it will blend in to your skintone, because when the air hits it it starts getting darker, but it does blend in! (I'm an NC30) I have oily skin and even though I'm now 40, I don't have a lot of wrinkles, but do have some dryness/crepeyness around my eyes. I also like the tube applicator (doesn't break or need a swivel, and it's clean). You don't have to use very much of this to be effective, and I've even worn this with just powder under SPF day lotion when I was in a hurry, and it looked fine. I willl keep buying this as long as it's available. Also, does not make my skin oilier and does not oxidize!

on 5/14/2010 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

When using this concealer under the eyes, DO NOT BLEND WITH YOUR FINGERS. It will turn it orange, trust me! I put a blob on my arm thats a lighter shade than my under eyes, blend the color "beads" with a q-tip then apply the product under my eyes with a concealer brush or q-tip, then blend with a sponge or the brush. The coverage isn't that well.

Almay needs to come out with more color choices. I'm not even that tan, and medium is still wayyy too light for me, almost with a gray undertone....

I really like the concept though! Just wish they had more color choice....

on 3/22/2010 10:12:00 AM

Are they kidding when they called this a concealer? I should of visited P'ville first when picking this up! I purchased the light/medium one and it did match my skin great but no coverage what so ever. I mean nothing! It didn't even cover a small pimple. What a waste of money. Why do I even try with this brand anymore? Save your money and do not buy this crap. Only two good qualities with this concealer 1. its non-drying and 2. color match.

on 3/6/2010 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I generally associate almay's make up with having hypo allergenic, oil free, and other skin friendly properties, so I thought it would be a good idea to use this concealer for eye makeup.. I bought this product along with the almay bright eyes concealer ( Terrible idea, the consistency is thin and watery when applied and doesn't blend well. The colors available wash my skin out rather than brighten ) on a buy one get one half sale at Rite Aid. I had to return both products because, the smart shade concealer made my skin excessively oily and shiny. These products made me feel dirty -- like the feeling of sweaty skin in the summer and it's WINTER!! I will not buy again. One of my favorite You Tube make up guru's uses mineral power concealer by maybelline and she has gorgeous skin when she's done applying her makeup so I bought it and can't wait to see if I like it!