Almay smart shade

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Almay smart shade
smart shadesmart shade

2.6

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Water, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Alumina, Boron Nitrate, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (Grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Cycloheptasiloxane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Talc, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

on 9/22/2008 9:29:00 AM

Sorry to ruin the great reviews. I bought this product on a whim at the drugstore and was absolutely thrilled with it at first. I used it as an undereye concealer and it truly did "adjust" to my skintone. However, I noticed it was a tad too dry/matte for me (settled into my fine lines) so I switched to using it on other areas of my face and this is where I ran into problems. I started applying the concealer just around my nose area. Within a day, the area around my nose starting to burn. A day after that, whiteheads starting appearing around my nose. They were the incredibly painful, bring tears to your eyes kind of whiteheads. They popped rather easily (sorry, so gross) and healed well, but still. Something I would rather avoid overall. I stopped using the concealer around my nose and immediately, the whiteheads stopped. I then decided to try it again, and the whiteheads returned. Ick. I stopped again and I wanted to resume using it around my eye area as I've been VERY tired lately and desperately need something, but if it caused that much irritation around my nose, what is it doing to the tender skin around my eyes?... I have extremely sensitive skin so for those of you who do not this may very well still be a great ds concealer. Just not for me.

I was genuinely surprised at the reviews about this product! Several of the reviews said they tried applying with a concealer brush when the product clearly tells you to use your fingers. I squeeze a bit out onto my finger tips and then dot (not spread or blend in), but dot continually until it matches my skin tone. I brought the lightest shade they had, even though I have a light to medium skin tone. I'm glad I did since it blends to a shade or two lighter, which is great for my dark circles. The one time it turned me orange was when I placed it right on a red spot and tried to dot from there. I learned that it's easier to start a tad next to the red spot and then work your way over, and it covers it fairly well. It's also not heavy at all yet it provides full coverage and lasts a long time. I finish off by stippling my liquid foundation all over and my skin looks perfect (though I have horrible acne)! Will definitely buy again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

It's a decent concealer when it's brand new and just out of the package. it blends well and looks great... after letting it sit in my makeup bag for a few weeks, it split!!! the pigment came blasting out as a liquid that went all over my sink and vanity, and the rest of the concealer was this weird nude colored cream. when i tried to apply it, it would go on unevenly and more of the pigment liquid came gushing out out of concealer making it difficult to apply and messy. Even shaking the tube before using doesn't even help to mix the pigment into the cream. I definitely won't be using this product again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought this at an outlet store and was thrilled at the price. I wanted to try it but couldnt justify paying that much at the drug store. I am glad I didnt buy this at full price now because it is MUCH too yellow for my skin tone and it highlights everything I want to hide. I tried putting powder over it, I tried blending better, using liquid foundations vs powder foundations, everything!

The odd thing is, it works ten times better as an under eye concealer than a blemish concealer, so I havent thrown it out, I just assigned it another job, hence the two lippies instead of none at all.

I do want to mention how if you look at it really closely there are little black flecks in the lotion and when these flecks burst and dissolve (microbeads of pigment?) it mixes into the lotion/base of the concealer to create a color that 'matches' your skin. However, if you get too many of these black flecks, it makes your concealer batch turn even more yellow. It's a gamble I find. No two dabs of this product is 100% the same.

on 7/21/2014 6:06:00 PM

WORST. CONCEALER. EVER. First, no matter how much you shake the tube, the product separates badly. When you squeeze it onto your finger or a sponge, it comes out as a dark brown oily liquid (which can't be good for my acne-prone skin) and a blob of whitish paste. After blending the two, you get an uber-light oily concealer. Although my skin tone is very pale and I always need the lightest shade of foundations and concealers, this was still way too light for me. Even worse, the coverage was poor...it was far too sheer to conceal either red marks from acne or dark eye circles. Layering did not help the coverage, it only made it obvious that I was wearing concealer. Yet after washing my hands with soap, I could still see some of the concealer on my fingers! I guess you need makeup remover to get it off properly. I'm also not crazy about the tube packaging...I prefer sticks or pencils that are easier to apply and less prone to spillage in my purse.

Would not recommend or repurchase. In fact, I'm taking this back to Target to see if they will refund my money.

on 3/17/2013 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't get what the hate is on this product; I totally dig it! I have been using this concealer for about 6 months now and have had no issues with it. I love how it totally blends to my skin tone. At first, it goes on light, and then in a few seconds it magically adjusts to my skin color. It's amazing. It never breaks me out and it's a super natural-looking finish, which is why I will continue to by this product. Plus, with almay, you know you're getting the best in non-comedogenics, which is a plus.

I am usually weary of gimmicky products like this. but my sister had some of this concealer and I gave it a try. I am quite shocked at how well it works! I have a terrible habit of squeezing my zits (sorry, I know that's gross), and most concealers will make it look crusty while it's healing. this concealer works the best. it's not perfect, but it looks a lot better than anything else I've tried! it's thin though, so I have to layer it to get enough coverage.

also, the area around my nose is kind of red and blotchy. this concealer really corrects the area very well, and becomes invisible once it sets. it does not look like I'm wearing makeup.

if you don't blend it in enough, it can get a little too tan. so be sure to check it in bright light before you leave the house.

on 9/30/2012 12:23:00 AM

I bought this product because it was oil free (my face is kinda oily) and i also use the Smart shade foundation, and I love the foundation but the concealer is orange when you put it on your skin. I would not recommended this to any one.

on 9/4/2012 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

UPDATE: Hmmm, well after using this concealer a 2nd time, I see what all the orange comments are about. The 1st time, I used this over top of my foundation, went to school, and it worked great. Today, I used it underneath my foundation, ran errands, caught sight of myself in the mirror at the store and, yup, I was orange. I hope that I wasn't orange in artificial lighting yesterday too, and just didn't notice! I guess I will try it again over my makeup and see what happens...
ORIGINAL REVIEW: Strange stuff, but it worked for me. I'm very pale/neutral (for reference, there are no mac shades light enough for me). I have to mix the lightest shade of whatever concealer I get with a pure white concealer in order to get something light enough for me (cut off parts of the sticks, melt them together, try to mix... it's a big PITA!). Lately though, my usual mix was looking cakey. I went through a bad BCP breakout and am covered in red marks, plus a few active spots. The acne topical I'm using is causing flaking in a few areas, which my concealer has been bringing out.
Anyway, I bought this on a whim and have only used it once (I will update if anything changes).
I squeezed some out on the back of my hand, rubbed it in just a little, and then applied to my blemishes with a small concealer brush. The consistency is very thin and watery, so I didn't think it was going to cover anything, but the coverage is actually quite good. Not super heavy, but it seems to be buildable if more coverage is needed.
Reading all of the reviews saying that it turned orange on them, I might have figured out what the problem is. I noticed that the more I rubbed it into my hand (as I was picking it up with the brush), that it was starting to turn orange. I did NOT rub it onto my face (only pressed it in with my ring finger, after applying with the brush), and it didn't turn orange there at all. So it might be all about how it's applied. Can't say for sure, of course.
I put it on over my mineral foundation and it looked surprisingly good! Matched my skin quite well, didn't pick up flakes, didn't oxidize, stayed put...
Overall, I was pretty impressed! Hopefully it will continue to perform this way!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I get really dark tanned skin in the summer. My usual concealer was making my tanned skin look white in the areas where I use it in comparison to the rest of my face, so it was time for a new concealer. I purchased the Almay Smart Shade concealer in Medium and have found that it blends in well with my skin. It doesn't conceal very heavily- but for my usage; under eye circles and the occasional discolouration, it works perfectly. For the summer, it's a great light-weight concealer. I probably wouldn't continue to use this once my tan fades after the summer, but for light coverage in humid weather on tanned skin, I am actually quite pleased!