Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.6

on 1/29/2008 10:04:00 AM

WOW this is strong. Super-perfumish kind of a chemical smell. Very, very rarely do perfumes give me a headache but this is one of them...but my Grandmother wears this rarely (usually white shoulders)and on her, it is O.K. but I still get a headache if too close. I'm surprised to see so many people like this...I prefer heady fragrances but this is too much for me! Glad to see some enjoying it....

Excellent smell and defenetely worth the price. Never ending in my home :)

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

It's unfortunate that the current obsession with all things new and "young" has caused a generation of women to turn their backs on some of the greatest fragrances of all time. Fragrance expert Tania Sanchez's recent pan of this classic notwithstanding, L'Air du Temps fits in this category. It is a light, easy to wear floral that's been a hit since it was introduced in 1948. Top notes; carnation, gardenia, middle notes; Rosa Centifolia, jasmine, base notes; iris, sandalwood. LdT is also one of the few fragrances that is still made almost entirely of natural ingredients. Luca Turin says it's been reformulated. The folks at Nina Ricci deny this. French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi-Aventis bought a 30% stake in Parfums Nina Ricci in the late 80's, about the time of the alleged reformulation...hmmmm. No matter, TMN, LdT is still every bit as enchanting as it was when I first smelled it in the 60's, and many long time wearers swear that it still smells the same. Try to sample the pure perfume. It's much softer and more subtle than the EDT. On another note, who are all of these husbands and boyfriends who dislike fragrances because they supposedly smell of "old lady?" In all my years of marriage, my husband has NEVER dismissed a perfume for smelling "old." He either likes it or he doesn't! Nor did I have any old lady smelling complaints from any boyfriend I had prior to my marriage. My fellow MUAers, do we really think that a 20 year old wearing LdT is going to be perceived as smelling OLD? Conversely, do we believe that an 80 year old will smell younger simply by wearing D & G Light Blue? What about context? What about grooming, manners, clothing, your speaking voice, your smile, your complexion, your hair, your posture?? Sophia Loren would still be sexy today whether she was wearing LdT or some chocolatey bubble gum "body spray." The Olsen twins would be, well... I won't go there. Contrary to what advertisers would have us believe, it's the woman who makes the fragrance, not the other way around. And, IMO, there's little room for ageism in the world of perfume.

on 1/27/2008 6:40:00 PM

Some of my fondest memories are tied into L'Air Du Temps... my mother wore it and she was the epitome of feminine elegance. When she wore it, it would waft from her skin and form a fragrant halo around her.

I won't bother breaking it down by note, but this is a timeless fragrance and is as relevant today as when it first launched. It's considered one of the Top 5, and for very good reason.

Feminine, elegant, classic.

(EDT) This to me is a lovely light slightly soapy floral with just a wee bit of spice. It reminds me of a less-green, less-metallic and very slightly spicy Wind Song. L'Air du Temps is simply a pleasant and clean, dry floral, classily innocent. An optimistic flourish of springtime that brightens this gloomy midwinter day. Will repurchase.

on 1/12/2008 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I must stand in defense of this fragrance. I understand that many ladies of an older generation wear this scent, but I don't think it makes it "old ladyish" by any stretch. To me, old lady means the overpowering smell of roses, violets or lilac. L'Air du Temps is a light floral -- not heady or sickeningly sweet. And yes, this is the smell of my mother as she emerged from her evening bath; in my mind, it's the epitome of femininity. Classic and lovely.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OK, ok, won't call this "old lady" because that's just too obvious, and apparently some people don't like it being called that. It certainly is mature though. I gave it two lippies for fantastic staying power. Such staying power, in fact, that when I tried it on at the airport I could not wash it off and I was stuck on a small plane with a mature floral bubble surrounding me.

It was not for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Again with the 'old lady' comments... I can't wait 'til the day I read reviews like "ugh, smells like cupcakes and reminds me of nursing homes". Don't worry, it won't be too long. Can't people just say that they simply don't like something without all the drama? I digress. .

This fragrance was created in 1948 at the behest of Nina Ricci's son Robert by Francis Fabron. This bright and fresh fragrance was specifically conceived for YOUNG women to be a contrast to the heavy and heady fragrances of that era. The name of this exquisitely feminine and young-at-heart fragrance is just as romantic as fragrance itself. L'air du temps is a French figurative expression that means 'the feeling, mood, and spirit of the time', and the phrase also is a play on words because l'air 'literally' means air, and it all ties in to fragrance.... I first wore this beauty when I turned 18. My beautiful neighbor was a young woman in 1948 and when she gave me a bottle, she had been already wearing L'Air du Temps for 40 years! It's a bright, uplifting floral that smells 'real'. It never turns into sour 'department store fragrance exhaust fumes' no matter how many hours pass since I first spritzed it on. Whenever I wear it I feel young, feminine, graceful, and just plain happy to be alive. I think it is because it has a melancholic quality, just like me. When I wear this fragrance, I want to wear soft fabrics, put my hair up and put on some lipstick. I even carry myself differently -more like a lady, when I wear it.

L'Air Du Temps: 1.6oz
The Place: Walgreens
The Price: 50% off for $18.00
The Sensory Experience: Priceless

Two frosted love birds in a rapturous embrace kiss the glass bottle. This classic fragrance by Nina Ricci has a spicy and soapy quality that settles into a soft and mellow smoothness. My grandmother's signaure and my favorite. Perfect for job interviews and just being.

on 11/16/2007 9:51:00 AM

When i tried this for the first time a few months ago i didnt like it. I thought it was to powderey/floral. I tried it again a few days ago and decided i liked it after all and i bought a bottle of it. I didnt realize that it is a classic and dates back to the late 40's. The phrase that comes to my mind when i wear this is "floral lemons". Like a big bowl of juicy lemons surrounded by flowers. Also, this scent goes through quite a metamorphosis on my skin. One minute i'll smell the "floral lemons" the next i'll get an Ivory soap scent and then sometimes i'll get a vanilla type scent wafting up to my nose. As the scent fades i'll get a woody type scent. I appreciate that this scent goes through stages like it does. It keeps things interesting.

Popular Fragrances