Costes by Hotel Costes

No Image

3.5

on 2/26/2005 10:44:00 AM

I tested Costes ages ago, and never thought it was particularly special. It opens with a strong iris-soap like accord, which besides being simply antithetical to this gourmand girl, was also rather generic to my nose, as I was sure I had experienced it in some other scent, only done slightly better. Of course, I simply washed it off then without really waiting past 15 minutes for the dry down. I recieved a large decant from a dear friend of mine a few months later however, and as how she was raving about how much she loved it, I thought I would give it another go. And I'm so glad I did -- give this half an hour or so to dry down, and it turns into something quite lovely and unique. The iris accord fades away, and while the soapy aspect is still there, it is joined by a melange of gentle spices and cozy sandalwood, creating a lovely, soft, intriguing, enrapturing and mysterious aura. I usually don't like scents that have even a trace of soap in them, but this is very, very gorgeous. continued >>

Got this as an extra from the generous midnightc. It starts out pleasantly with a delicious burst of incense, spice, and sandalwood, reminding me a bit of the CdG incense series (particularly Jaisalmer). Oh, but then that dreadful soapy note makes an appearance and ruins the whole thing. *sigh* Perhaps an option for those who would like a very soft, clean, unobtrusive version of incense/sandalwood/spice. Alas, it's too wimpy for me. And the lasting power is truly wretched...*poof* gone after 2 hours.

on 2/15/2005 7:25:00 PM

Costes reminds me of L'Artisan Safran Troublant, except the drydown becomes soapy, and the lasting power isn't the best. Safran Troublant is a warm spicy scent whereas Costes is a cold spicy scent. If you're a lover of spicy scents, you should definitely give this a try. I probably wouldn't own a bottle but will always have a decant handy.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Costes seems to smell differently on everyone from sandalwood to soap. For me, it's a very clean incensey fragrance...almost fresh. I'm sure it will be the summer's answer to my winter incense addiction. I didn't care for this one at first, but it somehow grew on me. And is still growing.
Edited to add another star. This is definitely a 4 star scent. I wore this in the dead of winter and the hottest, most humid day of the day...it is *just right* every time.
Notes: coriander seeds, white pepper, laurel, oriental woods, incense, musk, and hints of rose.

on 11/27/2004 5:58:00 PM

Beautifully spicy but soft, soft, soft, Costes smells like potpourri in need of refresher oil. There's something appealingly distant and haunting about it, like a memory or an echo. I get lots of coriander and an accord resembling cinnamon but without cinnamon's bite. The only thing I don't particularly like about this scent is a soapy accord that emerges about half an hour into the drydown.

First Review: I think this is a fragrance for those who like baby powder scents.
Second Review: On second testing of this scent, a very fresh sample from Aedes, I like it. There is a touch of Ivory soap in the drydown, about 1/2 hr. in, like others have said, but overall, I find this a very sexy, complex spice and think it would be absolutely lovely for the winter holidays!

on 1/12/2004 9:22:00 PM

Honestly not impressed with this one. Nothing fancy, subtle, and a definite try before you buy. May be better as a parfum de maison (room spray).

A so-so sandalwood, not the best. There is a hint of something that smells almost like licorice or fennel, but without fennel's crispness and brightness, so I presume it's anise. Perhaps a bit of amber. Not obnoxious, fairly subtle, didn't really change during the day. Only lasted about 4 hours. Look elsewhere. Not worth the hype.

Popular Fragrances