MAC Cosmetics Matte - Charcoal Brown

MAC Cosmetics Matte - Charcoal Brown
Matte - Charcoal BrownMatte - Charcoal Brown

4.6

on 10/30/2011 1:45:00 PM

I bought this because a girl on youtube uses this on her brows, and our hair color is nigh identical (light brown/dark blonde hair, medium brown brows). It does do very well for that and I've been favoring it over my Anastasia brow powder duo. Otherwise, this is great for a defined crease if you want a matte look (I prefer matte for professional settings). You could use this as a brown liner powder but I tend to prefer a darker brown for that.

If you have espresso, you may not want to bother with this because they're very, very similar (espresso is maybe one shade darker, the finish is also matte).

on 10/30/2011 12:57:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Looks like I will be giving up my Wet n Wild brow pencil in taupe for this! It's amazing!!!! I stray away from dark browns because I have black hair and it makes it look too red, I go for more sand/taupe colors and this is a perfect matte for my eyebrows! Def repurchasing!!!!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I love wearing this color in my crease. It makes my eyes look more defined. Color is light on my skintone but it is buildable. Def will repurchase :)

on 10/17/2011 7:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I know people love this product for their brows but I bought it for its intended purpose - as an eye shadow. I put off buying Charcoal Brown for a LOOOONG time. I'd read about how great it was and then I'd look at it in store and be unimpressed....for something with "charcoal" in the name, it was singularly lacking in "charcoal-ness". Well, I should have followed my initial instincts. I got this on Friday (it's now Monday) and I've worn it every day since and played with it a bit and, sorry, but to me, it's just not that special. I can get the same effect using Brun with a light hand and a 224 brush or using Omega and/or Wedge with a heavier hand. This isn't a "bad" shadow but it's really nothing special either. I am hoping that if I play around with it a bit more and try it with some other shadows, I might hit upon a combination that makes Charcoal Brown into something indispensable, but for now, I'm feeling pretty "meh" about it and would not repurchase.
UPDATE: Since buying MAC's Sweet Satisfaction (Pro Longwear eye shadow), I've found that the pairing of SS and Charcoal Brown works really well to create a sculpted and flattering eye that is suitable for day/work. Suddenly, Charcoal Brown (in the crease to contour) looks like something worth having and Sweet Satisfaction, which is another of those sort of "meh" shadows when first applied on its own, really comes alive too.

on 9/19/2011 9:25:00 AM

I also found this makes the perfect eyebrow product. Discovered this by watching a YouTube video. The color matches my own eyebrows ( has no red to it ) and when applied wet makes a great brow powder.

I bought this eyeshadow to fill in my eyebrows, the MA picked this out as my shade since I have a medium brown hair colour! That was all I was attending to use this eyeshadow for, but one day I just threw it into my crease without really thinking about it, and it instantly became my go to crease eyeshadow. I love it, it goes great with a neutral lid, like Grain from MAC!! It blends like a dream, and is just light enough so it looks like you have eyeshadow on, but doesn't look like you caked it on! And of course you can build this shade up!! I already have a huge ol' dent in it, and I just bought it 2 months ago! I love this eyeshadow, I would just give it a try in stores/counter, and hopefully you like it as much as I do :) Must say this is a must have MAC eyeshadow :D !

on 5/22/2011 8:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am fair with very dark brown (almost black) hair/brows and this is the PERFECT color for brows. I was planning to buy soft brown but couldn't find it in the store so tried charcoal....absolute perfection :)

on 5/22/2011 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I chose this colour specifically for brows, but it is also beautiful as an eye shadow - a nice all-over colour that isn't too dark. I also used this as my back to mac freebie, so that makes it even better!! Love MAC eyeshadows :)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Charcoal Brown is one of my favorite go-to colors that I use quite often because it goes so well with everything! For a quick neutral eye, I will use this in my crease with Patina on the lid and Vex on my brow bone lined with Embark e/s. A staple matte e/s that works well with a variety of different looks. Love it!

I only discovered this a month ago, and have been using it everyday since. It is a great crease color for me, both with natural looks or smokey eyes. It is not too warm, nor too cool, but seems to be neutral. While this shade may not be unique or eye-catching in the pan, the formula is what I'm in love with. This matte shadow blends easily, evenly and does not fade or change colour throughout the day. Most other brown shadows turn reddish, or orange on my lids by midday, as it reacts to the oils in my skin. Most other matte brown shadows I've tried have been a pain to blend, looking blotchy and losing it's pigmentation after furious back and forth motions with a brush.

I would re-purchase this no questions asked.