Mario Badescu Drying Mask

Mario Badescu Drying Mask

3.7

Ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua),Kaolin,Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Starch, Calamine,Ichthammol,Propylene Glycol, Colloidal Sulfur, Titanium Dioxide 5/20/09

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This mask is far superior to MB's Drying Lotion when used as a spot treatment. I rarely break out, but recently had three bumps appear on my right cheek (probably thanks to my cat sleeping on my pillow), one of which came to a head thanks to the Drying Lotion I used the night before. The other two were still below the surface and a little red and painful. Having just run out of Q-tips, I decided to try the sample of the Drying Mask I received instead on the bumps. The next day, they were not only completely flattened but also no longer red, and the one that had been a whitehead the day before had healed. It took the mask only overnight to accomplish what my face would take a week to do on its own. As for the smell, I don't think it's bad, but then again I'm the type of person who enjoys the smell of gasoline.

on 10/25/2010 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I honestly had to return this due to the strong smell. It reminded me of a cross between tires and oil. Made me gag every time I used it. Almost left a film on my face once I rinsed it off. Did decrease breakouts but I just couldn't get past the smell!

on 7/7/2010 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Probably the third night i've used this and it really amazed me this time. most of my blogged pores (tiny bumps in the skin) have dried up and flattened out, skin got really smooth and soft. immediately after, small pimples are soothed and not irritated. I kept it on longer this time though, for about 30 mins. skin got a bit flaky afterwards but nothing that toner and moisturizer didn't fix.

UPDATE:

Woke up with a rash! tiny bumps all over the areas where i applied the mask. it's really itchy and irritated - does cover with makeup though which is lucky. no pimples in sight though which is the weird thing (3 stars).

I'll probably try cutting down the time to until the mask dries and using it like once a week or something if you have sensitive skin/not overly oily skin. Or pack on the healing and soothing mask after.

on 5/20/2010 1:42:00 PM

After experiencing acne for the first time at 31, I was desperate for a fix. Allergic to benzoyl, I was limited. Changed everything- now on Cetaphil, kept the Mario Gylcolic Cleanser and instituted Mario Healing Cream and Mask, Drying Cream and Mask, Whitening Mask and Buffering Lotion. After the Drying Mask was recommended by Blue Mercury (Rittenhouse location), I was excited to start. Well, their little sample ended up selling all those products listed. This mask is what I think is helping the most. It is amazing. Smells like a nasty car shop, but works like a charm. Two times a week has been all I needed to get my mess of a chin under control.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I wanted to like this product. I really do since it has all of the best ingredients to draw out acne to the surface and heal faster, which includes colloidal sulfur and ichthammol, which is a kind of sulfur compound. But unfortunately it makes me itch and I strongly suspect it is the wheat starch. Along with the itchy skin, I would break out even more. I think I might have developed an intolerance to wheat, which my esthetician suggested to me. I just want to reinforce that it is not a bad product but the wheat starch just doesn't agree with me. If Mario Badescu replaced the wheat starch with something else, I would be buying this in bulk. Luckily the drying cream works splendidly for me.

on 1/30/2010 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product is amazing! All of the MB products that I have tried have improved my skin so much. However, with MB products you have to actually read and do some research on what would be good for your skin. The reviewers that haven't had luck with this product probably don't have oily skin which is what this mask is aimed for (oily/acne skin).
I love this as a full on mask b/c it really sucks all the oils out of my super oily face. It also works really well as a spot treatment. If I get a whitehead I'll put this on it and it dries it up by the morning. This product isn't meant for cystic acne. If you have cystic acne use the buffering lotion, that's what got rid of cystic acne. If you just have bumps on your skin then I recommend the drying cream. My skin is beautiful now thanks to those three products. They also have the Drying Lotion which they're famous for but that's more for typical, whitehead acne that I don't really get. The key to MB products is figuring which type of acne you have.
FYI the drying mask has Colloidal Sulfur which makes it smell like something that belongs in a car.

on 1/13/2010 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

The smell. Oh my god. It reminds me of diesel fuel mixed with kerosene! But, BUT!!!!!!!!

..........it works.

I have uber-oily skin (think oil that can clobber mattifying foundation AND powder in about an hour) that is a nightmare for me. I saw a review for Mario's Drying Mask on Youtube, and shelled out the dough for it at Ulta.

I was floored that this stuff actually does work. My oil slick days are behind me! I have been using the mask for about two weeks now and the improvement is startling.

on 1/12/2010 6:29:00 PM

If using this product, I suggest using the Healing and Soothing Mask right after, as it will balance out your skin. This is especially important for those with dry and/or sensitive skin. If you do not have time to use both masks, apply the Healing Cream after the Drying Mask, as it will help calm the skin after the Drying Mask as well.

I have been using the sample of this for a few weeks now (as needed) and I am not sure if this is working for me. It does feel like it is drying my skin and my blemishes seem to be a bit smaller, so maybe it is doing something, however, this is not a miracle worker for me. This could be in part because much of my acne is cystic, which is difficult to treat. However, for acne at the surface, I think it does help.

If you can get past its nasty odor, this might be a product worth trying. Just make sure to follow with the Healing and Soothing Mask and/or the Healing Cream. Those products are wonderful and can be used without the Drying Mask.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't use this as a mask because my skin isn't very oily. Instead, I use this as a spot treatment after I pop a pimple. I pop the pimple and squeeze as much stuff out as I can without pressing too hard, then I put a thick layer of this over the spot. It sucks out the rest of the oil in the pimple and dries it up faster than if I didn't put anything on it. I may be in the minority, but I don't mind the smell.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I received this as a sample from the website from filling out their questionnaire. I have oily/combination skin with occasional monthly breakouts. True, the product smells really really really bad. But it did help reduce the size of my pimples by the next day. However, little did I know, that cool trick didn't last. My skin has probably developed some resistance to the product, so it no longer minimizes my pimples. I also find the product to be difficult to completely wash off. I will not purchase the product in full-size.