Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

3.5

6% Titanium dioxide 3% Zinc Oxide Inactive Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, octldodecyl neopentanoate, butylene glycol, plyglyceryl-4 isostearate, dimethicone crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, silica, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, stearic acid, aluminum hydroxide, sodium dehydroacetate, phytantriol, hexyl laurate, triethoxycaprylysilane, nylon-12, sodium chloride, kaolin, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, polyvinylalcohol crosspolymer, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, sodium hyaluronte, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol. potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica Made in USA

on 4/30/2018 7:56:00 AM

I really liked this foundation at first and wore it very often over the winter, but over time I started to notice things that I hated about it. Now I rarely ever reach for it. I'm going to use up the rest of the bottle but once it's gone I wont repurchase it.

It's quite a thick formula. It goes on smooth though, and it blends out pretty well with a damp blender. It is far from being full coverage with one application, you can build it up but in my experience I always end up looked cakey when I do.

Once I set it it really looks good for about an hour or two. This is what sort of fooled me into thinking it was working for me I guess. But I noticed that I was having to do powder touch ups a bit more often with it than with my other matte foundations. Not a huge deal, but I like to be able to set my makeup in the morning and forget it. I bought this on recommendation specifically for oil control, but its performance in that area is mediocre if you have very oily skin.

Then I began to notice that it just didn't look very good on my cheeks, under my cheekbones, after a few hours. It gets splotchy and starts to separate in that area first on me. Extremely unflattering especially when my hair is tied up so it's very obvious to anyone who sees me from the side. I've tried all kinds of things as a base, from matte primer to oil free moisturizer, and while matte primer seems to delay the effect it doesn't prevent it from happening,

I can deal with touch ups but I cant deal with ugly separated foundation. So I only use this now for when I'm running errands and wont be out for more than 2-4 hours. I'm not sure it'll hold up at all if I'm going to be doing any activity that involves sweating, so the thought of using it in the humid summer heat here in Tennessee is a little scary.

Overall this foundation is not bad quality. It doesn't break me out, clog my pores or make my skin look aged like a lot of mattes do but it just doesn't work for my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This foundation was decent during the winter but I'm not convinced it will cut it during the spring and summer months. I'm a big fan of matte makeup all around and this foundation certainly worked well with my matte eyeshadows and lipsticks. It's application is smooth and easy using most brushes and sponges. It's crucial to use a rich moisturizer before applying this otherwise it just looks streaky around the nose and eyes. The only drawback for me is that it's not the most natural looking finish and it certainly makes me look like I'm wearing more makeup then I feel like I'm wearing. I cannot under any circumstances forget to wash it off before bed either because I will regret it in the morning when it looks like a hot mess and feels like it's cemented into my pores.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Overall I'm very disappointed with this product, which is a shame as I had heard such good things. By the end of the day my face was oily, patchy and felt very sticky. My partner even mentioned it to me when I got home. The foundation claims to last for 12 hours which is not true.

Pro:
- Easy to apply.
- Build-able coverage.
- Easy to remove (because it doesn't have staying power..)
- Easy to use packaging.
- Amount of product is more than the average foundation.

Cons:

- Oily around the t-zone within 6 hours with mild separation.
- Touch ups resulted in caking.
- Blotting removed foundation.
- I could feel the foundation.
- Transfers easily
- Is not sweat resistant
- Caused my mascara to transfer to my under eye (none of my other foundations I use regularly do this).

on 3/9/2018 11:48:00 PM

I got sample packets from Sephora and tried fair light honey and light neutral. I think both these colors work well for my skin color and or mix them together for the best color match. I think this is a "full coverage" foundation because it hides my redness and dark circles in my inner nose area. I wear eye glasses and the eye piece rubs off the makeup throughout the day. The scent is minimal. I use a brush to apply and use the tarte concealer stick too. Both together works AMAZING! I like to keep a full coverage foundation for special occasions. I use to use Too Faced Born this Way and Boujouis but after the many years it's been around I've been expanding my search for something newer and better, thus this purchase. I get an 10+ hour day and set it with a powder for less transferring throughout the day. I'm happy with these samples and I would like to try full size product and continue this review. Thanks for reading!

on 3/8/2018 1:23:00 AM

I am on my 2nd bottle. I'm 45 with sun spots, moderately dry skin, and some uneven texture. This foundation is weightless yet covers uneven tone and tones down my sun spots. I would call the coverage medium, but I can build it up with a dense foundation brush when I need to. I usually use the Tarte foundation brush which gives a medium, seamless coverage. I have not tried a sponge yet.
Foundation wear is several hours, but I am in the process of trying different primers/oils/sponges, etc., because my skin has been exceptionally dry lately due to underlying health issues, so i do not think my experience lately is typical. I do use a setting spray (Nyx Dewy), and I do not think this spray affects longevity. I use Smashbox Photofinish primer, and I do think this foundation goes on smoother with a silicone based primer. The Hangover primer worked fine, but the silicone primer plays better with the clay, I think.
PLEASE NOTE: The $39 price tag is for 1.7 oz., not the standard 1.0 oz, which is not bad for a higher end foundation.
With the foundation, I use the Tarte Maracuja Oil concealer in the matching color, and they blend together beautifully. Also, I do not need to set this foundation as the clay self sets, and my overlying powder products blend well on top of it.
One last note, last summer in the humid, Southeastern summer, this foundation lasted through sweat, and kept my summer combination skin matte all day, so I can recommend this foundation for non-dry skin folk.

on 3/2/2018 9:01:00 PM

Well, I'm a lot disappointed on this foundation. I had really high expectations for this. I stopped in ULTA to see the color swatches in person. I was very excited to purchase this. I was kinda of color matched. I had some where to go afterwards, so I didn't have time to fully wipe my existing foundation off fully. The associate & I agreed the color that was picked was a close resemblance to what I was wearing. Next morning, it was time to try out it. I did like the mousse-like texture. It glided on with ease,but the color was way off. It was a little thick for my liking. I'm glad I did try it out & really hoped this would be my final & favorite foundation. Still searching =(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think I’ve found my go to. This foundation doesn’t cake and it looks so natural on my skin. I always use face and eye primer, so I don’t know how it wears without primer. But it doesn’t crease under my eyes and stays on all day.

This foundation is amazing and I'm so happy that I've picked the right shade because I know that if you're ordering products online it can be difficult to find the perfect shade. The Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation is a great foundation and I would buy it again.

on 1/29/2018 7:34:00 AM

Rubbish foundation, cakey and patchy mess and covers nothing! It does not justify the price tag and I have never ever wore this foundation to go out with as it so horrible.

I have tried to like this foundation, and I love so many Tarte products, but at the end of the day, there are just so many other better foundation options. This foundation appears to be full coverage, since it is so thick and cakey when you apply it, but by the end of the day, it looks patchy and you feel like you need a new layer of foundation. I would not purchase it again.