MAC Cosmetics Cremesheen Lipstick - Dare You

MAC Cosmetics Cremesheen Lipstick - Dare You
MAC Dare YouCremesheen Lipstick - Dare YouDare You MAC CreamsheenCremesheen Lipstick - Dare You

4.7

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

My search for a red lipstick is over.Its true to color plus the cremesheen formula is great.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a beautiful red. Although in some lights it appears to be a soft burgundy red. Not too brown, bright, or blue/yellow in tone. It's the perfect mix. I love the shine, but these require a lipliner at all times. Without it I had some bleeding around my lips. It's a stunning shade. One of my all time favorite reds from any line! It's a very hot shade, and I wear it on dates. Update: Found a dupe for it... Sula Cosmetics is new, and their shade Love At First Sight is a dead ringer for Dare You. Even the shine and texture is the same! Only I think I prefer the Sula shade because it doesn't slide as much.

on 9/9/2009 12:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

First I must say I never really wear red lipsticks but I got this for a change of pace. I am really pleased. This is called a "brown red" but you do not notice any real "brown" in it. It is a darker red that is hard to describe but really beautiful. Not "over the top bright red" but a wearable shade for work etc. This has no pink or orange tones as many reds do. I think any skin tone could wear it. Great staying power and no slip. A really great red.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

On my own lips this marvelous "Dare You" colour has absolutely no "slip", & it also lasts for hours: so I'm wondering if these 2 issues, as highlighted by the last MUA'er, have something to do w/ a certain skin-type (eg, "acne-prone" -- as opposed to "normal", "dry", or "combination"). According to friends who have acne-prone skin, slipperiness & lastingness often are a basic hassle for them when it comes to so many lipsticks, i.e. not just Mac & not just "Dare You" -- as well as when it comes to so many different cosmetic products in general, including most foundations, primers, concealers & so forth. But if you have the other types of skin, &/or if slipperiness is just not an issue for you in general, then "Dare You" is such a glorious take on a true-red colour, what w/ its most unusual maple leaf undertones [& wonderfully, NO "skewing pink" problems for ANY of the reviewers here!] that it's completely worth trying! (Also, unlike the MUA'er before me, on my own lips absolutely no OTT shimmery-ness thingies, nor any microfine particles, are evident w/ "Dare You" -- but then that's part of the beauty of MUA : i.e., seeing how items react similarly for some & yet so differently for others.) And for the MUA'er who hypothesized that "Dare You" might look great on ultra-fair skin, my answer is a loud & clear YES!!! In fact it's a downright marvel on milk-white skin b/c the contrast is so marked, & yet the colour is sophisticated & polished enough to look chic & pulled-together, rather than an oddball example of WNTW. // And btw, if you order "Dare You" from Mac Online & find it doesn't work for you for ANY reason, Mac allows returns on ALL its online products including after you've opened & tried the products; AND they give you a 100% refund -- so what have you got to lose in trying a beautiful $14 lip colour like this? Indeed, I hadn't even bought or worn ANY Mac lipsticks for over a decade, until quite recently -- for I agree w/some of the other MUA'ers here: preferring the distinctive NARS family of red lipsticks is such an almost mindlessly easy choice, especially their knock-out Semi-Mattes & Satins. However, having recently chosen a handful from MAC Online just for a change of pace, I've been pleasantly surprised by several, & "Dare You" is DEFINITELY 1 of the Major Winners, along w/ a few others including "Hot Tahiti", "Rebel", & "Berry Boost". (That latter's an already killed-off Mac Red that MUA'ers so raved about, I raced right over to Ebay & found it -- & am I thrilled that it was there!) // Conclusion? "Dare You" is a Serious Keeper: indeed, so much so that I've already bought The Back-Up, since we Never Know when Mac's going to pull the plug on ANY of their best colours! // [PS: And if experiencing "slip" causes any trouble in wearing "Dare You", as the 1 sweet member here says it did in her case, it's such a divine colour you just might want to try Revlon's "Bali Brown" -- which, despite its name, is a beautiful & very "wearable" red that's ALMOST EXACTLY the same colour as Mac's "D.Y." -- yet "Bali Brown" is made w/ a completely different consistency & texture.]

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love that this doesn't turn fuschia - like a previous reviewer mentioned. Its a stunning claret velvet color with microfine red shimmer. It does have some brown in it, but it is very red. I would imagine this would be pretty wearable for a variety of skintones. **edit** I took this down a lippie First because it doesn't last very long at all. I've heard raves about the creamsheen formula, but I personally do not like it because it doesn't last and has a lot of slip. I think there are a lot better reds out there, formula wise and color wise. Since this one is so creamy - it can get very messy easily, and you just can't have that with a bold lip color. So - Dare you is just average for me.

on 5/7/2009 10:51:00 PM

Surprisingly wearable red lipstick from MAC. I'm not usually a fan of most MAC reds (or MAC lipstick formulations in general), but Dare You is nicely brown enough to not turn fuschia and therefore amazing for my NC20 Asian skin. I usually wear NARS reds and prefer the range of reds and NARS lipstick formulations (MAC tends to be too thick and crayon-like for me, texture-wise), but Creamsheen is fine. I can put up with it for the colour. Fairly good longevity with minimal horror of colour changing throughout the day. I use it with Auburn lip pencil, which again, is nicely browned. (RIP MAC's Auburn lipstick, long discontinued)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I received this lipstick today. I ordered it online so I really went with what the MUA members were saying about this lipstick. Well, I'm not disappointed. It's a great colour. I'm an NC43 and this lipstick looks great with my skin tone. I think this colour would look just as good on someone that is very fair because it kind of reminds me of the really intense colours that you would see on a 20s flapper girl. I wasn't around in the 20s so I don't know if they used these type of colours ;) but I put it on and that's what it reminded me off for some reason. I don't know if that sounds strange but it's a nice intense, not a scary intense (unless that's the look you're going for in which case there should be a lipstick out there for you...)

on 3/6/2009 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Not one that's too orange or too blue (Well considering it's brown based I'd hope so). It's probably comparable the Dubonet amplified. Texture is wonderful, definitely would recommend to people who want to try out a nice wearable red.

on 2/22/2009 6:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of the most wearable reds around - it really demistifies the theory that you cannot wear red lipstick in daytime!!
On me (NC20) it looks like a rich warm red with a slight brown undertone. Love the formula, too, as it's creamy and non drying. Together with Hang Up this is my favourite Cremesheen lipstick - I will definitely buy again!

on 2/12/2009 10:54:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I have found the perfect red, i am an nc43 and this looks awesome! I always wanted a nice red for an intense look and i am so happy with this one, i plan to try the other shades from the cremesheen range as i love the look and feel of the cremesheen lipsticks!