December 19, 2014 | 1580 users online

Shampoo - Desert Essence - Red Raspberry Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2014 3:41:00 PM More reviews by janne1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really liked the other shampoo and conditioner from this brand (Fragrance Free Pure) and used it for over 2 years with great success and my favoriet shampoo so far, but my local store stopped selling it so I have tried this one.. it smells nice but dries out my hair a lot... hair became so dry and breakable so it looks and feels terrible :( sigh

rated 2 of 5 on 4/26/2014 10:47:00 PM More reviews by smdunn91

I wanted to try this because it has so many rave reviews. I expected it to smell okay, but it smelled nasty. It lathers well, but that's about all it has going for it. It made my roots/scalp dry. The ends were crunchy. Overall, I just hated it. Sticking to Giovanni for now.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2013 5:12:00 AM More reviews by organicmakeupjunkie

This product made my scalp itch like CRAZY!! Bah! That made me sad because I am such a huge fan of Desert Essence, and I loved that this shampoo smelled fruity and like summer, fruity and delicious, and I was so excited to try it out. I'm sure I was allergic to something in the shampoo. It also caused me to have a ton of dandruff due to the scratching. Big let down. I still haven't found anything that comes close to my Giovanni Golden Wheat Shampoo. I like to change my products up, so hopefully I'll find another shampoo so I can alternate.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2012 6:01:00 PM More reviews by KaiteKat

I really like this shampoo ! It smells amazing and i love that it has all natural ingrediants. I've been on a bit of a green-beauty craze lately and this shampoo is one of my favourite products. I was pleased that i could buy it at the local grocery store unlike some other organic products. I tend to use this product in the summer and the coconut shampoo during the winter when my hair gets very dry.

On the other hand, i would really like if they could make the packaging more environmentally friendly.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 9:25:00 AM More reviews by lonic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wonderful shampoo. Gets my hair clean and smelling nice without leaving it stripped. Lathers up nice for being a natural product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 3:20:00 AM More reviews by LBUJenni18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Gah! I LOVE this shampoo! Hahaha! I had ups and downs with this but after using it for a few months, I understand it now. [: Just a general idea - raspberry is suppose to give your hair shine, and jojoba and coconut oil is obviously suppose to moisturize your hair. I honestly don't notice a difference, my hair isn't really damaged though so... Yeah. This is also meant for "all types of hair" by the way.

This is for people who DO NOT shampoo their hair everyday because it's just too harsh for that. This does not contain sulfate - only coconut sulfate... Which I assume is less harsh and organic. This really cleanses your hair - I wouldn't call it a clarifying shampoo though, it cleanses in a way that cleanses really well but without being clarifying. (weird? hahaha)

I can understand why people don't like it though, just a personal preference of mine. It does its job, and natural, so it's good enough for me! HATE the smell though! I just hate the smell of raspberry, it's VERY strong - keep in mind I am like the least sensitive-scent person and it smelled strong to me, LOL! So yeah, that's all. [: continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2010 10:44:00 AM More reviews by peacefuldusk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this shampoo and the matching conditioner. I bought it because it is gluten free and natural. I have very oily hair but also get very bad knots. I was having to put additional cone products in my hair everytime I washed it or I would have terrible knots. I had also started to lose large amounts of hair. I no longer use any other products on my hair. My hair is no longer falling out. In addition my hair has more height to it and over all is more smooth and less frizzy looking, even dries naturally very well. The regular shampoos were weighing my hair down making it heavy. Also I can go about 4 days now at least without my hair feeling or looking dirty, I think it is because of not having any residue left on my hair. So my hair is not greesy anymore. I will say that due to the nature of the product you do have to really work it into your scalp and through your hair or it will nto clean it as well, I think this is due to the fact it is thinner and does not lather as heavy as regular stuff. You just have to get used to it. I will never go back, this is the best my hair has been in my life, it also tends to look the same the next day, like the style of the hair does not fall and change like would normally happen the next day etc.

Update: I recently went to by this item again. When I used it it was totally different, it was thicker and lathered like crazy. I compared it to my old bottle and the label and ingredients are very slightly different. The first one I reviewed on was an old formulation. I am not sure I am thrilled with the new one, it does not seems to be as harsh on my hair as far as getting it clean and I feel like it has a residue like if I was using a "regular" shampoo. I am not sure if I will buy it again since it doesn't seem to do anything different for me now, I might try another natural brand next time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2008 12:17:00 PM More reviews by AlleyCat415

Smells awesome, does a nice job but I like the Green Apple one much better!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2008 2:14:00 AM More reviews by technopixie

I hate to be a buzzkill on this one, but this just doesn't work for me. I prefer to wash my hair every other day, but I have to use this daily because it just doesn't get my scalp clean and my hair turns into a nasty greasy mess if I don't. It might work well for those who don't have thick hair, who aren't prone to any scalp oiliness, etc., but not for me. I've used sls-free shampoo from Kiss My Face and Jason before, and both were much more effective than this. The smell was nice though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2007 3:06:00 PM More reviews by SunnyK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

A very nice find at the local natural foods store! The front of the tube reads "for shine enhancing" and the back claims that it will "clarify the hair", "strengthens the hair", and "imparts a natural shine". It also claims to be cruelty free, with no animal testing. Also no phosphates and "NO: parabens, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates, phthalates, artificial fragrances or color, silicones, EDTA, glycol, or petroleum based ingredients"...anyhow, when I first started using it, I worried that it would dry my hair out immediately, but after a few days, this issue pretty much went away. I do like how it is a nice clarifying shampoo, and my DH does think that my hair is shinier. I would tend to agree. In fact, I find that I can do away with the styling products (for everyday) that impart shine! The smell is a little weird, but you get used to it and it's not that strong...overall a really good product! In fact, I've used up the shampoo completely and after I finish this review I can throw out the empty tube and head back to the store...