July 29, 2014 | 1998 users online

Eye Shadow - Avon - True Color Eyeshadow Single in Slate

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2008 12:58:00 PM More reviews by neener563

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I think I paid one dollar for this from an Avon discount book and what a bonus bargain this turned out to be! The PERFECT taupe color, no sparkles, just a nice true matte neutral shade, not too dark nor too light. Great staying power too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2008 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my new everyday color. This can work as a lid and/or crease color, depending on the look you're trying to achieve. The reviewer below accurately described this is a "taupey-gray" and it's such a perfect neutral, I can see this working for anyone. I wish I would've found this color years ago.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2007 4:38:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

What a find!

I'm amazed that I'm the first to review this really strong product.

In the past, I've often found Avon's makeup to be on the weak side, so I'm pleasantly surprised to really like this one.

"Slate" is *not* the most original shade in the world, nor could it be described as "exciting."

BUT it's exactly what I wanted for fall/winter wear: a medium matte taupe-y gray. If you missed MAC's "French Grey," this one would be a good "consolation prize," at almost $10 USD less.

The "swatch" on Avon.com is actually fairly color-true.
"Slate" is just slightly lighter than "French Grey," but is essentially the same color. I(NW15; green eyes; brunette) tried "Slate" as a lid color, with FG in creases and outer corners, and this combination makes for a lovely subtle daytime smokey browned gray eye. I love gray eyeshadows that look gray, not blue, on me, and "Slate" works.

The texture is silky smooth, the finish absolutely matte but not chalky, the pigmentation nice(not quite as rich as some, like Stila, UD, or MAC, but with a color this dark that's not necessarily a bad thing). It's a true bargain at well under $10USD. "Slate" is a color I plan to wear often this fall, and would gladly repurchase.
UPDATE: This stuff is GREAT! It goes equally well with either browns or grays, and it coordinates perfectly with my HG MAC "French Grey."

I've been reaching for "Slate" so often that I may buy a backup, something I've never before done with an Avon color product. Don't overlook this little gem!
UPDATE II: It's official; I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE "Slate!" I ordered a backup, something I have *never* before done with an Avon makeup product. However, I find myself reaching for "Slate" over and over again, and if Avon were to discontinue it, I'd really be at a loss. If you, like I, love taupes, you won't regret spending a few dollars to add "Slate" to your eyeshadow "arsenal." continued >>