August 21, 2014 | 1489 users online

Polishes - OPI - Shimmer

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2011 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Supergirl0143

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This polish is absolutely amazing! Gorgeous silver linear holo, opaque in 3-4 coats, and as mentioned before is also sheer enough to use as topcoat and make any plain polish dazzle. I love the versatility of it. Also applies wonderfully and wears like iron (lasted a week with no chips, and NO TOPCOAT!) Maybe it just does well with my body chemistry, not sure... but in any case its awesome! The only thing I don't like, for obvious reasons, is that it is discontinued =\

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 3:48:00 PM More reviews by Periwinkle2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Other

From the original OPI Designer Series, DS Shimmer is a very sheer silver holo. This polish is highly coveted both because it is a linear silver holo, and because it can be used as a top coat to turn any other non-holo polish into a holo or to intensify the effect of other holos. Formula is excellent, as always.

For best results when using as a top coat, it is best to use it over light colors. This is a wonderful way to get that elusive white holo, one generous coat or two thin ones will do it. For colors, it is best to start out with a shade darker/more saturated than what you want in the end, as the silver will tone it down and lighten it a bit. For medium/dark colors, anywhere outside direct sun, the silver coat will be very visible.

If you want a real silver holo, you can use another less holo polish as underwear, or you can apply three coats.

You will probably not find this polish for less than $20 online these days, but if you can get it for a decent price it is most definitely worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2011 2:08:00 AM More reviews by Lvaz86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Can I say LOVE? I read the reviews about this and immediately hit eBay to see if I could find it since I know it has been discontinued. Much to my chagrine, it isn't even sold on eBay, and the closest thing to it was OPI's SRO (Standing Room Only) which cost a whopping $30!! Anyway, I was at a salon picking up my OPI Shatter (had my name on the waiting list for that since that's sold out everywhere) and much to my surprise and delight, I saw a bottle of OPI DS Shimmer! I nearly screamed! (Now... to get my hands on more bottles!) It is absolutely gorgeous on. I applied a thin coat over OPI's Thanks So Muchness and it looks fabulous. I can't wait to experiment and see what Shimmer will do to the rest of my collection!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2011 2:34:00 AM More reviews by Audri

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't know this polish was so sought after and loved until after I purchased it. I purchased it b/c it looks so pretty in the bottle and it was on sale ($6 @ my fave dusty).

I put it over my current mani which was ChG Hyper Haute and OMG love at first swipe! When I saw it in the sun, I feel even more in love.

This polish can be worn over any color as an accent. It's a silver shimmer with rainbow holographics. One coat is all that's needed if you are using it over another polish.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2010 6:06:00 PM More reviews by shortnails

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I only bought this polish when MUA members told me to buy it. I am very happy with it . This polish is a scattered silver holo. The polish can be worn alone with 3-4 coats or as a top coat.
The stay power of this polish is incredible!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2010 4:34:00 PM More reviews by KatieQT68506

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I too bought this on a whim on ebay because at the time everyone was talking about the DS. I swatched it but never saw it in the light of day, then added it to my np collection and didn't think about it again, in fact I was going to give it away. Thanks to MUA nail board (when I was planning a Nfu-Oh order) Someone compared Nfu holos to OPI DS Shimmer and I remembered I had that polish. I did a mani and saw the light, literally. It's stunning! I stand in the sun and just stare at it. Still placed the Nfu order because I can't find another bottle of the beautiful polish online anymore, but if I do you can bet I'm buying it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2009 8:55:00 AM More reviews by windchijmes

This is my first holographic nail polish. I actually bought it on a whim off eBay, JUST based on the good reviews here! When I first applied it, it went on smoothly. I did only one coat because I just don't quite like the look of thick shimmer polish on my nails for some reason. So one coat gave my nails a nice silver sheen under sunlight.

That was it for that moment. I didn't see what the fuss was about. It looked like any silver shimmer polish I had owned before. It was not until at night, in indoor lighting, when I looked at my nails again. And it was THEN I got completely fascinated by the the rainbow sparkly hue of the holographic shimmer, lol. Like another reviewer had said, I can stare at my nails for hours!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2009 12:35:00 PM More reviews by kae0z

I stumbled upon this color by chance. I was looking for OPI in general, but the place only had a few colors and this gorgeous gem. I already had two holo glitter polishes, but none of them had such fine holo shimmer, so of course I had to have it... As others mentioned this adds really beautiful hologram shimmer (very fine) to any polish. I've worn it over black, grey and now over a metallic nude color. Everytime it's simply WOW. Subtle, but once detected it looks fascinating. I could stare at my nails for hours lol... and now that I have to start working I can amp up every office-safe (say boring) color with a coat of this fine holo effect. This OPI polish adds a touch of individuality to your average neutral color, or gives you the extra fun to black. The only gripe: the silver color of the brush part is rubbing off. I stored my polish in the fridge over the summer to prevent it getting bad earlier. It made the packaging damp and so the silver coating rubbed off... I would have preferred the usual black or at least a solid silver colored plastic. But that shouldn't go into the rating of the polish itself, as the holo is beyond amazing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 7:55:00 AM More reviews by rosarita

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is just gorgeous, and I have to thank MUA's fabulous nail board for the rec. This adds a sheer holo shimmer to any polish, and it looks great on it's own, too. The rainbow effect really shows up; I've been looking for something like this for ages. Love the wide flat brush, too, it makes application smooth and easy. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2009 2:36:00 PM More reviews by MissCarley

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

OPI DS Shimmer was my first Designer Series purchase. I was a big fan of Sally Hansen's Nail Prisms Diamond, so I decided to choose DS Shimmer... I like Shimmer much more than SH's Diamond! I love the color! It looks awesome on it's own and really pops when layered over black polish. I love the consistency of the polish, it goes on so smoothly with the ProWide brush (of which I am a huge fan). I love this product and I can definitely say it's my favorite holo polish!