Kevyn Aucoin Curling Mascara

3.6

on 4/16/2015 11:22:00 PM

This mascara is so disappointing I felt compelled to write a review on it. This is my second tubing mascara (first one was Blinc original) and after doing endless research I decided to go with the curling mascara because I expected this mascara to hold a curl.
I have straight short sparse thin Asian lashes that will only curl if I use an eyelash curler. Upon applying this, my beautiful curled lashes went straight back down due to its heavy formula (just like the Blinc original- also do not buy) and what's worse? IT CLUMPS like crazy. It definitely lengthens but this has NO VOLUME whatsoever. ABSOLUTELY NONE.

The results? Spidery lashes that clump together. Not a good look. I had to curl my lashes again after it dries which is worse because it causes more clumps. On the bright side, as promised, this does not smudge at all.Even after an intense work out, there are no smudges. I also have crazy dry eyes and put eye drops throughout the day and this has not cause any smudges underneath my eyes like most waterproof mascara would. There are a very small amount of flakes throughout the day though.

In conclusion, save yourself some cash and look elsewhere.

on 3/31/2015 7:04:00 AM

Previously was an avid lover of MAC Haute and Naughty, By Terry Mascara Terrybly and Benefit They're Real but I think this is my new favourite for one main reason:

It does not smudge AT ALL.

Full disclosure, I have really, really long eyelashes. So therefore I assumed that the black smudges I would get along brow bone and under eyes was just an unfortunate consequence of my eyelashes touching these areas. I'd tried a lot of different mascaras (waterproof included) and they all smudged so I just assumed it was my lot in life and went on my merry way.

Until I tried this. Honestly, it just does not move.

But that's not the only reason I love it. Overall It is just a really great mascara. It doesn't clump, it holds a curl beautifully, it volumises a little (not too much though, which is good because I'm not into really fat lashes), it lengthens. It's an all rounder really.

I also like the fact that it's not waterproof and that it encases the lashes in a tube rather than coating them. I think that it's a lot better for your lashes because of this (haven't noticed any deterioration in lash quality despite stopping my Mascara Terrybly which has moisturising properties). The tubes also make it easy to get off, just a little makeup remover or a good oil cleanser with some warm water does the job. Just don't freak out when removing it - the little black bits aren't your lashes falling out, it's the tubes coming off.

So for all you long-lashed ladies and gentleman who are sick of constantly having panda eyes, this is the mascara for you!

on 10/1/2014 8:31:00 AM

My holy grail mascara. I have dead straight eyelashes and this lifts them wide and open- no curler needed. Love it. Never smudges and I love how I don't need eye make up remover for this!! It just comes right off under the shower. Brilliant.

I have repurchased multiple times. My only criticism would be that (perhaps due to packaging) it sometimes dries out but this has only happened once.

on 4/8/2014 6:31:00 PM

This mascara is amazing, I love it. I have very thick brown eyelashes, but they're poker straight and quite short. I absolutely love Kevyn Aucoin's make up so I decided to give the mascara a try and as soon as I did I was in love. Even a few of my friends have used it and then purchased it themselves because they love it too. I only marked 4/5 as let's be frank, it's not the perfect mascara - I still have to curl my eyelashes before use to help them curl with the mascara, but what mascara is perfect? It's also quite expensive, but most of them are now anyway.

I definitely recommend this mascara and I will always buy it (when I'm not too broke)

on 8/6/2013 5:57:00 AM

Wearable, but uncomforable.
Clumps so do need to comb it.
However, holds curl very well.

on 6/23/2013 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I used to wear eyelash extensions so I never used to wear mascara but in the past 3 months I've gone on a mascara hunt for the best mascara.
I have asian almond eyes although my eyelashes are not as short as some asians but they have no natural curl and just stick out so my aim in a mascara is always to find volumising and curling mascaras (I have accepted the face that without fake lashes, my lashes can not be lengthed with only mascara). I also like to wear a lot of mascara to achieve this look.
This mascara is not the best when it comes to volumising but the brush is fantastic! Perfect size, not too big so you accidentally poke your eye and not too small so you can actually out mascara on without needing excessive amounts.
I was quite surprised by how easily it came off in the shower! It literally just glides off in the shape of your lashes! No panda eyes! Amazing!!!
It stayed on all day without any smudges for me as well.
It definitely curled my bottom lashes, but the top, not so much.
Being a uni student, $40 was a bit of a stretch but it's worth is because it saves me time and patience as compared to taking off other mascaras.

on 4/9/2013 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I love this mascara. First of all, it is a breeze to use on my short asian lashes and second of all, it is soooooo easy to take this off. I can be pretty lazy removing my makeup and this literally slides off my lashes in the shower. Fabulous formula and beautiful packaging. It is a high quality product i recommend. the only downside is the price tag. Here in Australia it is a hefty 40 dollars....not fun.

on 12/26/2012 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

This a potential HG material for me. The package is sleek, the formulation of the mascara is amazing, not too watery nor too dry.Delivers what it says on the box. No smudge, no panda eyes, no flakes, and its a dream to remove it. I think I may have just found the replacement of my beloved Dior Maximeyes mascara..
Update: have repurchased by now twice. love it immensely.its safe to declare i have a new HG.

on 10/29/2010 1:26:00 AM

I LOVE THIS MASCARA. THIS IS THE ONLY MASCARA I EVER WANT!

I'm no stranger to mascaras that are meant to create a "tube" around your lashes. My regular mascara before this was the Japanese Fiberwig mascara. But this is just soo much better! I know it may not curl properly (yes, I admit that is one tiny defect) but as a general mascara, this is perfect! Plus, all the special properties other mascara claim to do are never that great anyway.

It never rubs off and create the unseenly black smudge under your eyes like other mascaras that claim to be smudge proof do. It's absolutely waterproof and the formulation is slightly wetter than Fiberwig that allows it to coat so much easier.

Removal is a cinch too. I no longer have to load up on on oily mascara remover that hurt my eyes. Instead, some warm water will easily wash it off.

This is a great product and I never touch all my other "fancy" mascara that is supposed to do special things but end up being the same anyway.

on 8/9/2010 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Wonderful product. It's so good it made me break my rule of not paying more than $25 Aussie dollars for a mascara. Ok, so I find the 'curling' aspect to not really work on my eye lashes but it's smudge proof, long-lasting and makes my eyes pop. I also love how easy it is to remove.

Popular Mascaras