September 23, 2014 | 1086 users online

Eye Shadow - Kevyn Aucoin - The Essential Eyeshadow Set - Palette 1

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by notagoodidea

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Fab colors, not too much shine. I would have replaced one of the very similar browns with a dark matte brown suitable for eyeliner. Great quality! UPDATE--- Deducting one lippie for too much shimmer. Got a good look at myself in natural light. Yikes!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2011 3:33:00 AM More reviews by Absalom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is for Palette #5 the berry-ish brown palette.

I love this. It's not too frosty or shimmery.
The colours blend well together and stays on all day. The colours are familiar but unusual. I love the quality of KA's line.
I need all the other palettes and blushes!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 9:33:00 PM More reviews by pocky

I'm not sure if I'm reviewing the right palette but mine says The Essential Eyeshadow Set Palette #1 on the bottom so it must be the right one. To my eyes, the colors look more like ivory, tan, cool taupey brown, peach, and slate but whatever this palette is fabulous! The colors have a slight shimmer without being frosty (which I HATE) or glittery (which I hate even more) and the texture is divine--velvety, soft, and blends like a dream. This is a very nice palette for a basic everyday look for work or dinner. After I bought this palette, I realized that my Chanel Dunes and Dior Incognito palettes are very, very similar to Kevyn Aucoin's #1 palette. I think the Chanel comes the closest so if you already have it and can't spare $56 for the same look, don't get the Kevyn Aucoin. Not that I don't love all three but even product junkies are watching their wallets these days. Keep in mind that neither the Dior or Chanel are dupes. They just happen to be very similar. Chanel Dunes has a dark matte chocolate brown instead of slate, doesn't the fifth color which would be the ivory, and the taupe is lighter. The quality of the Kevyn Aucoin palette is as fabulous as the other reviewers have mention but no one has mentioned the packinging. This palette is sleek and slim, which is a nice change! As lovely as they are, I personally find the Chanel quads and Dior quints a bit bulky. It's not like the pans hold that much more shadow since it's just the compact that's bigger.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 9:10:00 AM More reviews by remychic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I agree with many of the reviewers, this is an HG product. I have been wearing it for a couple of weeks now and I thought the colors looks so boring in the container but tried them anyway based on MUA reviews. So glad I did! The formula is silky and long wearing and I don't have any problems with flaking or smudging. But it is the colors that are the real jewels here, especially the golden brown. I have tried various combinations with the 5 colors but the one I am most pleased with is lining my eyes with the dark brown/black, using the golden brown on the lid and highlighting with the ivory. The colors are neutral but superb, they are soft and glowing with a very subtle luminescence to them. They are perfect for day wear without being boring on. I love this pallette and will definitely repurchase as it is now a staple in my eyeshadow wardrobe.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 6:27:00 PM More reviews by kyasha

HG eyeshadow palette. I bought it because I needed something warm-toned for everyday. I watched a youtube video on Kevyn Aucoin and he stressed how trends come and go, but classics remain. I love the dark red compact case; it is very professional and sophisticated. These eyeshadows don't crease. I bought it online at Sephora. Update: I have oily lids and the doe brown color (opposite of ivory) seems to fade after a few hours. Will have to use primer for specific colors.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2008 11:00:00 PM More reviews by CallistoLuna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great basic palette to have in your arsenal. The colors are beautifully neutral with superior blendability and do stay in place for the day. The packaging is slimline with an elegant burgundy finish and a sturdy locking mechanism and fits into the palm of your hand: making it highly suitable for toting around in a handbag or purse.
The palette comes with two dual end brushes: one has a brush applicator and the rest are sponge tipped. These are okay if you want to transform your day look into a night look, but I still think using a brush gives better results than the sponge tipped applicators (for convenience sake though, these are great to have).
Palette #1 includes 5 semi-matte shades of ivory, brown, mustard, chocolate and melon. Perfect for any look that you don't want to look overly shimmery, but just "done".
The only draw back is the price of these palettes. At AU$100 (US$55), the price is very steep but the powders are well pigmented, so you don't need to apply a lot of them to get coverage. I recommend this palette (or palette #2, #3 or #4 for that matter) for event looks that demand a classic touch: perfect for bridal makeup, and the price might make it an excellent gift to give a bride or bridesmaid. Someone at KA has done a lot of work in thinking about the aspects of this palette. The colors have been expertly co ordinated and the packaging is all one could want for traveling. I strongly recommend checking this one out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2008 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Mahrou

not cheap but yet the product is absolutely worth every penny.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 1:00:00 PM More reviews by kickyouonce

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Gorgeous palette and flatthering - but a bit pricey for my current status!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2008 6:57:00 PM More reviews by clay2626

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Boring, at least that is what I thought when I first received this item after buying it on line, I had to packed up and ready to return when I thought I would give it a couple more tries, glad I did! At first this colors look so ordinary and boring but once you put them on (and they stay on!) they are so pretty together and there are so many different options. I love most of KA's items and this is a good product, will for sure repurchase once I run out. These colors are long lasting and I have oily lids which means usually by noon I have nothing left (even with a base), these are the most long lasting colors I have ever purchased.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2008 1:32:00 PM More reviews by secreteuphony

This is my HG eyeshadow. It's the perfect palette and the one I use pretty much everyday. The color combination is great and gives you endless possibilities. I love that it's not overboard on the shimmer so you don't get that drag queen effect. This palette takes me from natural barely there to smokey and lasts longer than anything I've tried. (Lancome, Revlon color stay, MAC, L'Oreal, Clinique), and doesn't flake like the others do. Hooray! Def. worth the price. The only negative point is that it's so damn hard to find.